A New EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Still a Possibility in 2018? [CR1]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
RGF said:
Random Orbits said:
I would like to see Canon incorporate DO technology into more lenses. Hopefully, at some point, it'd drop the green ring and it would be an "ordinary" design tradeoff like any other.

Bring on the 600 F4 DO. Hold it, that is delays for another 1-2 years (perhaps more).

how about a 600 F4 with a drop in 1.4 like the 200-400?

It would be, like, $17,000 :(

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Talys said:
RGF said:
gsw1 said:
the model II is awesome, what else to expect in the III?

Higher price tag - like the 24-105.

I agree that the 70-200F2.8 IS II is a great lens. The can improve it a bit, but not sure if they can make substantial improvement.

To me, the EF 70-200L/2.8 IS II is representative of the entire high-end Canon DSLR field.

It's beautifully engineered, one of the most reliable performers on the field, and always works flawlessly -- but it shows a little bit of signs of age, in an era where Internet gurus all want things rapidly refreshed.

From a practical perspective, anyone with a 5DMk3 and 70-200L/2.8 IS II can absolutely take absolutely stunning professional-quality photographs for that focal range, competitive with any camera and lens combination made more recently. The incremental difference going to any of the flagships (including 5DMk4) and any newer 70-200 is going to be so small that nobody looking at the actual photograph will see it or care.

But that's a very old kit based on release dates, and unhelpful for reviewers that are looking for page views and for "buy your shiny new gear through this link".

I wonder how many 70-200 F2.8II owners Canon is going to convince to upgrade.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
BillB said:
Talys said:
RGF said:
gsw1 said:

I agree that the 70-200F2.8 IS II is a great lens. The can improve it a bit, but not sure if they can make substantial improvement.

To me, the EF 70-200L/2.8 IS II is representative of the entire high-end Canon DSLR field.

It's beautifully engineered, one of the most reliable performers on the field, and always works flawlessly -- but it shows a little bit of signs of age, in an era where Internet gurus all want things rapidly refreshed.

From a practical perspective, anyone with a 5DMk3 and 70-200L/2.8 IS II can absolutely take absolutely stunning professional-quality photographs for that focal range, competitive with any camera and lens combination made more recently. The incremental difference going to any of the flagships (including 5DMk4) and any newer 70-200 is going to be so small that nobody looking at the actual photograph will see it or care.

But that's a very old kit based on release dates, and unhelpful for reviewers that are looking for page views and for "buy your shiny new gear through this link".

Probably not much...at some time, it just becomes right to do an upgrade.... it was a great selling lens and will probably continue to be one. The market remains the same, those who want a faster 70-200..... those who already have one are not part of the target audience, but I am sure that there will be some who upgrade....

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Don Haines said:
BillB said:
Talys said:
RGF said:
gsw1 said:

Probably not much...at some time, it just becomes right to do an upgrade.... it was a great selling lens and will probably continue to be one. The market remains the same, those who want a faster 70-200..... those who already have one are not part of the target audience, but I am sure that there will be some who upgrade....

You may get some version I owners to update. I know people that still rock that lens.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ethanz said:
Don Haines said:
BillB said:
Talys said:
RGF said:
gsw1 said:

You may get some version I owners to update. I know people that still rock that lens.

1,357 will upgrade from version II.

Upvote 0