BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
I think we should keep them separated. Because of the many posts in both the outstanding photos are so fast on the former page.

Concerning my starting seagull: I saw so many starting and landing birds in this thread, that I had the understanding, that this was part of this section (BIF), too.
The opening post in Bird Portraits is:

Those rules are broken all the time. We would need many separate threads to accommodate all our shots.

Last edited:

RGB49

5DSR
Mar 31, 2019
I just love the 5DSR with the 100-400mm II. It's capable enough to get birds in flight shots like these at high resolution at a high keeper rate.
I agree Alan the 5DSR is a great camera and its resolution gives fantastic results.

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Where are all the other threads with pictures in them? :p

With “new posts” I never see anything regarding anything other than gear talk.

Where can I find more threads like this?

mikekeck

EOS M50
Mar 14, 2018
Texas
5Z8A1914_Common_Raven_2048.jpg

I want to learn how to take BIF photos. My current success rate is abysmal (with and without the 1.4X extender). Do any of you know of an Internet tutorial you would recommend, general or specific to the Canon 5D iv? Or, any advice in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

(Common Raven, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Colorado. Canon 5D iv, 100-400 L ii, 1.4x iii, at 560 mm; 1/2500, F10, ISO 2500; one decent shot out of many bad ones)

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
Very nice, I have found the Corvids to be among the harder birds to get a good shot of, don’t know why, might be the focus systems don’t like black?
My advice, practice, practice, and then practice some more, seagulls are my current practice subject for BIF, large, common for me at least and quite random flight patterns interspersed with easy straight and level flight!
No idea on a tutorial.

Cheers, Graham.

I want to learn how to take BIF photos. My current success rate is abysmal (with and without the 1.4X extender). Do any of you know of an Internet tutorial you would recommend, general or specific to the Canon 5D iv? Or, any advice in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

(Common Raven, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Colorado. Canon 5D iv, 100-400 L ii, 1.4x iii, at 560 mm; 1/2500, F10, ISO 2500; one decent shot out of many bad ones)

Reactions: mikekeck

Aussie shooter

@brett.guy.photography
Dec 6, 2016
View attachment 185863

First peice of advice. One good shot out of many is the norm. Don't go around thinking that wildlife shooters have a high ratio of good shots. Second is practice. Learning your gear is only part of the deal. The bigger part is learning the wildlife. The more you know about wjat you are shooting, the better your shots will be. Feildcraft is everything. Example. Birds land INTO the wind most of the time. Get the sun and the wind at your back whenever possible. For othe wildlife you want the wind in your face so they don't smell you. Etc etc.

wsciutti

I'm New Here
Aug 19, 2019
Very nice. Here is my first posted shot on this site.
Taken on the James River East of Richmond, VA.

5D4 with 70-300, f.6.3, 300mm, 1/1600, ISO Auto about 160.

Attachments

Reactions: Click