Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6048" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6048"></a></div>
<p><strong>Announcements</strong>

A few people have told me there will be nothing on March 1 as far as DSLR’s go. April is going to be the announcement month. They were told the same thing at <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html">NL</a> via Thom Hogan.</p>
<p><strong>18-200 II</strong>

A suggestion of a redo of the 18-200 already. This time with USM. Big grain of salt here, though I don’t think Canon’s version of this lens sells as well as Nikons.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III</strong>

More people saying to expect a 5D Mark III before a 1Ds Mark IV.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>No EVIL</strong>

“No new system camera” in 2011. I’m going to assume a mirrorless solution is what was being talked about.</p>

J

Justin

The way these announcements generally work in my experience is that we will know a few days before. That's all.

As far as a 18-200 goes I figure Canon reckons they can do better. And they can.

The 5D3 before the 1DS4 seems to me and is a consistent rumor now. I expect This strategy works so long as the 1DS4 is something new. I'd guess it has a new name too.

There doesn't need to be 3 pro bodies.

Justin's Canon Roadmap

5D3 - 32 mp, 5fps, improved high iso and dynamic range, vastly improved AF mechanism, funky weather sealed
24-70 f/2.8 IS - it's really ridiculous not to give this lens an IS motor
35 f/1.2

1D5 - 18 mp, full frame sensor, 10 fps, full body, high iso lord of darkness
7D2 - 24 mp, APS-C, 10 fps, small body, lives on the sidelines and Wildlife shooter superteles
Canon 645D - 50 mp, 3 fps, 12 stops dynamic range, new mount, advanced auto focus,

24-120 f/4 IS
efs 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS
15-60 f/2.8 IS

645 lenses
25 2.0
50 2.0
100 2.0
150 2.8

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
If you read between the lines of these rumors, it seems as if Canon will announce something in April- it's perfect timing for a 5DIII announcement, because it's just before NAB, and the 5DIII will (hopefully) be an improved video as well as still camera. This way it competes with Scarlet, as well as with the forthcoming Nikon (and other) announcements.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
KWSW said:
does that mean a 24-70L mkII to be announced in april as well? Or would it be a 24-105mkII to go with the 5DmkIII? Am about to get the current 24-70L mkI within the week...

We do not know what, if anything would be announced. Canon keeps this information very quiet, so its just rumors, some may be true, but many do not pan out. Just read them and have fun, but don't make buying decisions based on rumors.

Upvote 0
K

KWSW

scalesusa said:
We do not know what, if anything would be announced. Canon keeps this information very quiet, so its just rumors, some may be true, but many do not pan out. Just read them and have fun, but don't make buying decisions based on rumors.

know what u mean, just dun want to end up buying the lens and have the new one announced in mar/apr :-\

Upvote 0
KWSW said:
scalesusa said:

know what u mean, just dun want to end up buying the lens and have the new one announced in mar/apr :-\

If in doubt, put your money towards something else you can use that won't be replaced soon: 24 1.4, 70-200 2.8, 14 2.8, 100 2.8IS macro etc. Get the new 24-70 IS when it comes out

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
KWSW said:
scalesusa said:

if you can afford to wait, then just wait. clearly the lens is not that critical for what you are doing. if you really, absolutely needed this lens, you would know it, and it'd be in your shopping cart already. to me, that's always the test of how much you need a lens.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
kubelik said:
KWSW said:
scalesusa said:

if you can afford to wait, then just wait. clearly the lens is not that critical for what you are doing. if you really, absolutely needed this lens, you would know it, and it'd be in your shopping cart already. to me, that's always the test of how much you need a lens.

I sold all five of my 24-70mm L lenses and have been waiting for years. In the meantime, I have discovered primes, so even if a really great 24-70 comes out, I'll probably pass. I find that I can often make do with a 35mmL on the wide end, and sometimes at the sports arena as well. I do have wider and lots of longer primes, but picking two or three for most use works out well.

up close with a 35mmL

1193837589_a4ne7-XL.jpg

35mm L From the stands, a long ways, and significantly cropped.

1193844853_eSyei-XL.jpg

No zoom, but it has f/1.4 for low light or shallow depth of field.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. After thinking through I decided to drop by my usual camera store and get one after work today. I guess I was too caught up with the whole the new lens would be sharper and make my photos look better that I forgot that professionals currently still use the current one and still make beautiful pictures.

After all even if its announced say 1st of march, by the time there is stock(looking at how long the 70200 IS II took to reach the local stores) and pricing is stable would be a good 6-8 months at least. I would have gotten quite a good mileage on the lens by then so selling it off and getting the new one wouldn't be that painful.

:)

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
KWSW said:
Thanks for all the replies. After thinking through I decided to drop by my usual camera store and get one after work today. I guess I was too caught up with the whole the new lens would be sharper and make my photos look better that I forgot that professionals currently still use the current one and still make beautiful pictures.

After all even if its announced say 1st of march, by the time there is stock(looking at how long the 70200 IS II took to reach the local stores) and pricing is stable would be a good 6-8 months at least. I would have gotten quite a good mileage on the lens by then so selling it off and getting the new one wouldn't be that painful.

:)

an intelligent and well-thought through choice. like you said, it's a workhorse for a lot of photographers out there, and that's something that doesn't happen by accident.

enjoy shooting!

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
an intelligent and well-thought through choice. like you said, it's a workhorse for a lot of photographers out there, and that's something that doesn't happen by accident.

enjoy shooting!

Interestingly enough (or at least to the curious part of me) is that the lens code on my lens is UZ0118 which if I am not wrong means it was made in January this year. Maybe it a sign that this lens still got quite a bit of shelf life to go?

Well just gonna leave it as that and I am sure looking forward to bringing it out for a shoot later after work :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.