BounceLite - a revolutionary flash diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
A "softbox" made from "robust ABS plastic"? Wouldn't that be a hard box? ;)

Besisika said:
Still small though! Unless you like harsh light.

Exactly. The 'softbox' is barely larger than the bare flash head, and the bounce door is about the same size as the flash head. Since light softness is proportional to the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject), I can't see this being more than minimally effective as a diffuser or bouncer. The only thing that looks like interesting and useful functionality is the gel cassette, which means no cutting/velcro are required.

I think it's main advantage is the lead-off line: "A next generation flash modifier worthy of being seen on any camera..." In this case, function doesn't follow form.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

Besisika said:

Exactly. The 'softbox' is barely larger than the bare flash head, and the bounce door is about the same size as the flash head. Since light softness is proportional to the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject), I can't see this being more than minimally effective as a diffuser or bouncer. The only thing that looks like interesting and useful functionality is the gel cassette, which means no cutting/velcro are required.

I think it's main advantage is the lead-off line: "A next generation flash modifier worthy of being seen on any camera..." In this case, function doesn't follow form.
Pretty much what I was thinking too. Regardless of price, I don't this as much of an improvement over the good 'ole StoFen with a 10 cent Rosco gel taped to the flash underneath. And the StoFen can literally live on the flash and still store in the case, use no extra room, etc. (Which is the way mine lives.)

Size = Small = Not much improvement.
Gels = Neat = Not enough incentive.

Upvote 0
Chimera, possibly the standard-setter for softbox construction, considers 16"x22" to be "Extra Small" for a soft box. It gives off what is considered to be "punchy" light - not very soft. 16x22 is 352 square inches, and this BounceLite looks like 2x2, or 4 square inches, about 1% of the size of "Extra Small." It's about as soft as your speedlight already is for all practical purposes.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
neuroanatomist said:

Besisika said:

" Since light softness is proportional to the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject), I can't see this being more than minimally effective as a diffuser or bouncer. " = + 100 FOR ME TOO.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
privatebydesign said:
"Size = Small = Not much improvement.
Gels = Neat = Not enough incentive."

Price = DOA

£120 is over $200, for a bit of plastic to stick on your flash that can be done better with a piece of 69c foam paper.

+ 100 for me too, Dear Mr. Privatebydesign. For $ 200 cost = $ 195 US Dollars for The Thinking Brain of the Inventor and $ 5 Us. Dollars for the MFR.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
surapon said:
privatebydesign said:
"Size = Small = Not much improvement.
Gels = Neat = Not enough incentive."

Price = DOA

£120 is over $200, for a bit of plastic to stick on your flash that can be done better with a piece of 69c foam paper.

And, he gets free advertising by posting links on camera forums.
+ 100 for me too, Dear Mr. Privatebydesign. For $ 200 cost = $ 195 US Dollars for The Thinking Brain of the Inventor and $ 5 Us. Dollars for the MFR.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
And, he gets free advertising by posting links on camera forums.

Haha well played sir! If only it was true lol life would be so different...(and NO, I am not the inventor lol) ;D

Making something is not quite as simple as that I think...as there a lot of costs in getting something to market. I’ve supported many Kickstarters this past year so I know…it’s difficult when you’re a startup. The fact that they're offering free shipping on the product seems reasonable to me, considering Gary Fong's Lightsphere Collapsible - the closest competitor to the BounceLite in terms of pricing and features is like US$149 before shipping (and shipping is VERY EXPENSIVE these days). Okay the Lightsphere's got cheaper versions at less than half the price (and Rogue Flashblenders/Sto-fens)....but they don't do half as much stuff as the BounceLite does (to be fair)...

Personally I’m more interested in how they would all perform.... As it goes I have a friend who shoots for GM Motors and has had over 60 different kinds of diffusers, and he says it’s a great idea, meaning it would eliminate half the numbers of diffusers he uses (including ones he altered on his own). Even at $200 he says it’s still fairly good value for what it is…so I don't know why people are so fussed about it? ???

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
And closeness or distance from the source to the subject.

sek

surapon said:
neuroanatomist said:

Besisika said:

" Since light softness is proportional to the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject), I can't see this being more than minimally effective as a diffuser or bouncer. " = + 100 FOR ME TOO.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Middleman said:
... I don't know why people are so fussed about it? ???

People who understand how lighting works just recognize it for what it is - a gimmick. It's like paying $200 for a pair of fuzzy dice to hang from your car mirror – they may look cool and give you something to fiddle with when you probably should be doing something more important, but they don't do anything for the performance of your 'sweet ride'.

scottkinfw said:
And closeness or distance from the source to the subject.

Since light softness is proportional to the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject)

An object closer to you appears larger than the same object further away. So, distance is part of, "...the apparent size of the light source (relative to the subject)."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.