BounceLite - a revolutionary flash diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2011
9VIII said:
And it still doesn't get you light at the right angle. From everything I've seen the RT speedlight itself is the next big step, always have two with you and just stick them wherever needed, no worries.
I'm really, really, really hoping that every body released from here on has the transmitter for those built in.

Don't forget to bring the feet. I was at a baseball game and I wanted to set them on a concrete barrier but putting them on their side didn't seem safe...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
People who understand how lighting works just recognize it for what it is - a gimmick. It's like paying $200 for a pair of fuzzy dice to hang from your car mirror – they may look cool and give you something to fiddle with when you probably should be doing something more important, but they don't do anything for the performance of your 'sweet ride'.

I don't really agree with that statement. Yes some flash modifiers can be bit of a gimmick, but I don't think necessarily that should be applied to ALL (as I think its a bit harsh tbh). Some recent designs that have come out (such as the MagMod) have been really impressive. Okay it doesn't do any softbox-like lighting like the BounceLite, but at least it gives you some form of control.

And control of light (in any shape or form) is always good no matter how much, especially if you're doing stuff like event or wedding photography, where things can change quite dramatically (especially when you have moving subjects and shooting under pressure). As it goes everyone's requirements for lighting is different, so we can't say what you think is 'a gimmick' doesn't work better for someone else's workflow or requirements...

As it goes I've spoken to a few friends about this new piece of product, and they all think its a great idea. One friend of mine who shoots ads for GM Motors has said that he has worked with over 60 different modifiers in his lifetime (including ones he's built himself which looks like a very long Flashbender). He's had a look at it and thinks its a great idea. Horses for courses I suppose...but we should reserve judgement methinks before it comes out...

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Calling a 2"x2" piece of plastic a 'softbox that gives studio quality lighting' brings to mind a phrase my 4 year old recently picked up and sometimes shouts emphatically: "YOU A LIAR!"

If anyone thinks paying $200 for said modifier is good value, I've got this nice bridge in New York and some prime Kansas swampland for sale, and say hello to Mr. Barnum as you seek the Great Egress.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Calling a 2"x2" piece of plastic a 'softbox that gives studio quality lighting' brings to mind a phrase my 4 year old recently picked up and sometimes shouts emphatically: "YOU A LIAR!"

If anyone thinks paying $200 for said modifier is good value, I've got this nice bridge in New York and some prime Kansas swampland for sale, and say hello to Mr. Barnum as you seek the Great Egress.

How swampy is the swamp land in Kansas? Are we talking gators... or just wearing rubber boots when you go out? Please send me a prospectus.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Iglu71 said:
Hi everyone, i'm related to the guy who made this (not on their team though) and have been watching the whole debate on here, there's been a review and I figured i'd link this in case anyone was interested in a professional verdict. (Also the cheapest unit is £80 not 200)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101747734/bouncelite-the-revolutionary-flash-diffuser/posts/956331

Ummm, ok. He says it attaches to a flash, it's simple to use, and it looks good. Low contrast from the ceiling bounced bare flash, but from the shot it's evident the 580's catchlight panel wasn't used. So, £80, and it's better than a StoFen costing about £9...how?

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
Iglu71 said:
Hi everyone, i'm related to the guy who made this (not on their team though) and have been watching the whole debate on here, there's been a review and I figured i'd link this in case anyone was interested in a professional verdict. I think it's just a preview but still... (Also the cheapest unit is £80 not 200)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101747734/bouncelite-the-revolutionary-flash-diffuser/posts/956331

I didn't say it was £200, I said "£120 is over $200," because that was the price quoted. Now £80 is a snip, that is only $126, plus shipping, for something that can be done with a milk bottle carton for free with a 1/4 of milk.

Upvote 0
This is literally copied and pasted from your reply, "If anyone thinks paying $200 for said modifier is good value, I've got this nice bridge in New York". You can actually buy 'said modifier' for £80 and the shipping is free. Also, I think you're being little assumptive. We haven't even tried it, how do you know how well it works? The featured magazine says it softens light considerably. I'd take their word over yours

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Iglu71 said:
This is literally copied and pasted from your reply, "If anyone thinks paying $200 for said modifier is good value, I've got this nice bridge in New York". You can actually buy 'said modifier' for £80 and the shipping is free. Also, I think you're being little assumptive. We haven't even tried it, how do you know how well it works? The featured magazine says it softens light considerably. I'd take their word over yours

Actually, it's literally copied and pasted from my reply, and at the time the listed 'sponsorship' was £120. As for knowing how well it works, it's a small plastic panel, there are several products of similar size on the market. Yes, the design is different, but 'looking professional' doesn't change physics. If you believe that a piece of plastic only slightly larger than the bare flash head can 'soften light considerably' you really should look at this bridge I'm offering... ::)

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
I have yet to see a modifier that can fake being bigger than it is.

I've seen modifiers that are more effective than others, aka how much light comes out, but never seen a small light give softness like a big light from the same distance. Only marketing can rule the laws of physics.

I agree with Viggo on this.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
Hey, your last minute push of misquoting and shameless self promotion worked, you got your funding, now slink back into your hole with your overpriced POS, because that is what it is.

You are peddling next to useless "accessories" that anybody with the most basic understanding of light knows is garbage, the only people that will say anything like this is good are people who are sponsored to, or who don't know what they are looking at.

As for your comment "Wrong. It was never £120."

Well call me stupid but it still is if you need international shipping and want the basic gel kit, which is probably the only interesting feature.

P.S. I think you will find the bridge comment is directed towards gullibility, not suicide, as in, "I have a bridge for sale, I am selling it cheap because if you want to buy it you have to move it too".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 12.32.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 12.32.31 PM.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 833
Upvote 0
There are specific design issues that I think should prevent the BounceLite from being in most bags.

Let's start by saying the inventor hasn't learned from Gary Fong, that space in a bag is precious, and if you notice, all of the Fong Domes are collapsible now - this thing is rigid plastic and a huge waste of space.

Next, the price point - £80 is still over $120 USD, which is a high price for a Kickstarter where there are existing options in the market place, at a much cheaper point. If you're looking for softer light, you have to move off camera due to size of the modifier, and you can get a Westcott Apollo kit for the same price.

Oh, Iglu71, the UK isn't a top marketplace for cameras, so the majority of backers are paying an extra £12 of shipping, no matter what price level they commit to. Insults seem to be your method of standing up for someone you're related to, but I hate to tell you Neuro is one of the highest respected folks here at CR.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Iglu71 said:
Wrong. It was never £120. I've followed it from the start and you can't alter your rewards on kickstarter anyway. You've really got a f______ oak branch up your ass don't you? If PPUK say it softens light considerably then we've heard it from a reliable source. I think you're just nay-saying now. Also, quit with all the suicide suggestions...

Anyone who states that a small (less than 3x3") piece of translucent plastic can 'soften light considerably' is guilty of extreme hyperbole, and that's being charitable.

Sometimes the truth is painful. Sorry that the truth seems to bother you so much that you feel it necessary to degenerate into vulgar insults.

Iglu71 said:
Also, quit with all the suicide suggestions...

Excuse me? Oh, ok...perhaps the cultural reference is lost on you. Let's try this again...

"If anyone thinks paying $200 for said modifier is good value, I've got this nice bridge in New York and some prime Kansas swampland for sale, and say hello to Mr. Barnum as you seek the Great Egress."

"If you believe that a piece of plastic only slightly larger than the bare flash head can 'soften light considerably' you really should look at this bridge I'm offering..."

Get it, now? If not, maybe a Google search for "George C. Parker" will provide some edification.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
Brits, particularly most Londoners, generally don't get the George C. Parker reference, when you talk of bridges like that they are much more likely to think of Roberto Calvi.

I wasn't aware that he sold bridges. Still, one might think the reference to PT Barnum in the same sentence might have given a clue, even if he never actually spoke the phrase attributed to him, "There's a sucker born every minute." Looking at the kickstarter site, that's 253 minutes worth of suckers.

Ok, they're called backers. That reminds me of an even more obscure cultural reference - a film adaptation loosely based on a play with which I suspect at least a few Brits might have passing familiarity, as it was written by the Bard of Avon.

MICHAEL: Yeah, well, what we need is a backer.

CAMERON: What’s that?

MICHAEL: Someone with money who’s stupid.

For the curious, some Google hooks might include Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, and the number 10.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Brits, particularly most Londoners, generally don't get the George C. Parker reference, when you talk of bridges like that they are much more likely to think of Roberto Calvi.

I wasn't aware that he sold bridges.

He... didn't. If his experience with them forms part of the typical frame of reference for a European then it might offer some context for the earlier discussion.

Jim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.