Canon 35mm F2 IS image quality

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Patak said:
Thank you all for your useful and extensive comments. My slight dissappointment with the lens is not based on lack of sharpness or bokeh. it is the color and contrast and overall artistic impression of the image that does not meassure up to 24-70 Mk II. Put it this way; just came from vacation and used 3 lenses, 35 f2 IS, 24-70 II and 135 f2. The percentage of "keepers" is way higher on 24- 70 and 135 than on 35 f2. Perhaps, I am still not very familiar with this lens and used it more often in low light situations than the other two.
The extra pop you are going to expect is basically that the 24-70/2.8 uses ground glass aspherical elements (very expensive to produce) and the 35/2 IS uses moulded glass, which is cheaper. I own the 35mm F2 IS and it is definitely very good lens. There will be always a difference in color rendition but in terms of sharpness and portability the 35 f2 IS is difficult to beat.
I don't have the 24-70 V2 but the V1 and when walking around I prefer the 35mm lens because is less conspicous, lighter and has very low distortion.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
Focal length does affect perspective :).

No it doesn't. I don't know f the cheesy emoticon means you are being ironic or something, but focal length does not affect perspective.

Yes it does :).

Arty said:
Focal length has no impact on perspective. Perspective is a function of distance.

Well, I'm talking about the picture. You can't shoot the same thing using different FLs from the same distance without changing your camera format.
Same distance + same angle (whatever FL and sensor) = same perpective.
But, same framing + different FL = different distance and perspective.
The FL doesn't matter only if you are photographing the perspective from a fixed position and you don't care about framing (for whatever reason).

FOV and framing has nothing to do with perspective, that is where you are going wrong.

If we change this "Same distance + same angle (whatever FL and sensor) = same perpective."

to this "Same distance + same angle (whatever FL and sensor) = same perpective."

Then you will be on the right track.

FOV and framing has everything to do with distance, which affects perspective.

Upvote 0

Joey

EOS 7D mkII
Nov 7, 2014
Westcountry, UK
Let's not be harsh on the poor guy. He says focal length affects perspective and let's all agree that in practice that's the perception because of the way we use our cameras. Let's say we want to take a picture, say a head-and-shoulders portrait. We're using a 28mm lens and stand close to the subject to achieve that, but the poor guy looks like he's got a rather big nose. So we choose an 85mm lens, and we'll have to stand further away to fill the frame with our subject so the perspective will be different - his nose shrinks to a much more flattering size. When we fill the frame with the same subject using a different focal length lens we get a different perspective. Yes we know it's not because we're using a different focal length lens, but because we've changed taking position, but let's face it we've been walking all around the subject during the shoot and don't think of the changed taking position as a step change, whereas changing lens is.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I've had this lens since around March and it never ceases to impress me. I personally feel the colors it produces are great, but at the same time I haven't used the 24-70. If you think about it more, you should be disappointed if the 35 IS which is a $600 lens has better colors than the 2K+ 24-70.

This and my 100L are the two lenses I could never do without again.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
For me the 35mm f2.0 is a real great Lens. I love it since I have it... Maybe a bit to much CA wide open... but on the other hand it delivers great images...

Some ideas from the first day I had the optics in use:

http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/11/the-canon-ef-35mm-1-2-is-usm-the-fastest-lens-on-the-market

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:

No it doesn't. I don't know f the cheesy emoticon means you are being ironic or something, but focal length does not affect perspective.

Arty said:
Focal length has no impact on perspective. Perspective is a function of distance.

Well, I'm talking about the picture. You can't shoot the same thing using different FLs from the same distance without changing your camera format.
The FL doesn't matter only if you are photographing the perspective from a fixed position and you don't care about framing (for whatever reason).

FOV and framing has nothing to do with perspective, that is where you are going wrong.

If we change this "Same distance + same angle (whatever FL and sensor) = same perpective."

to this "Same distance + same angle (whatever FL and sensor) = same perpective."

ecka,

You have a proven track record of wallowing in your ignorance, have at it, if you don't want to learn that is fine by me, I don't have the time to help all the people that want to learn let alone to be bothered with the people that don't want to.

For anybody else, the only thing that determines your perspective is your position, which is why you can get the same image with a 4mm lens with a phone as you can with a 35mm lens with your 135 format camera, stand in the same place and your perspective is the same, regardless of focal length or sensor size. Start moving, either with the same camera or a different one, and your perspective changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ok , I will add my thoughts. I shoot weddings and use the 35mm F2 IS about 50-60% of the time , with other primes.

I have found it to be by far the best prime or zoom i have ever owned and sold my 50mm 1.2L as it is that good. Also it beat my 24-70 2.8mk1 too so that went. It cannot compete with the blur of the 85 and 135 lenses but it can produce a good bokeh and it definitely allows images to pop when shot at F2 for me.

I would guess though with it not having the L moniker that there may be a chance the QC is not up to scratch and you may have a bad copy or it needs AFMA.

Take a look at some of my work on the latest photos link and most of that will be with that lens.

Wedding Photography North East and Northumberland www.andrew-davies.com

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:

Arty said:

ecka,

You have a proven track record of wallowing in your ignorance, have at it, if you don't want to learn that is fine by me, I don't have the time to help all the people that want to learn let alone to be bothered with the people that don't want to.

For anybody else, the only thing that determines your perspective is your position, which is why you can get the same image with a 4mm lens with a phone as you can with a 35mm lens with your 135 format camera, stand in the same place and your perspective is the same, regardless of focal length or sensor size. Start moving, either with the same camera or a different one, and your perspective changes.

Well, most photographers (not snapshooters) are not just photographing the perspective from where they stand, they tend to frame their pictures logically, while looking for the best position, background and distance. Standing still and zooming your 18-300 lens won't change the perspective. But, when you have the image in your mind, then you have to choose the right FL and distance to replicate it using your set of tools (which has it's limits). Try using some primes, shoot an environmental portrait (or something where perspective really matters), then you'll see that you are changing the perspective by changing your lens (FL) and distance, while keeping the main subject. If you only change distance, then you change the whole picture (framing, perspective, DoF...). OK, you can skip the experiment, just google for "dolly zoom" or "vertigo effect" (used in movies) and learn how it is done and why.
No need for personal insults, have nice holidays :).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ecka said:
If you only change distance, then you change the whole picture (framing, perspective, DoF...). OK, you can skip the experiment, just google for "dolly zoom" or "vertigo effect" (used in movies) and learn how it is done and why.

If you looked up those terms yourself you would see that they are not changing subject framing, they are changing PERSPECTIVE because they are changing camera to subject DISTANCE.

The framing stays constant on the subject and the perspective changes because the camera position is moved, which is entirely consistent with my point that perspective is created by position and nothing else. Change position and your perspective changes, if you don't change position your perspective does not change.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
If you only change distance, then you change the whole picture (framing, perspective, DoF...). OK, you can skip the experiment, just google for "dolly zoom" or "vertigo effect" (used in movies) and learn how it is done and why.

If you looked up those terms yourself you would see that they are not changing subject framing, they are changing PERSPECTIVE because they are changing camera to subject DISTANCE.
and focal length!

The framing stays constant on the subject and the perspective changes because the camera position is moved, which is entirely consistent with my point that perspective is created by position and nothing else. Change position and your perspective changes, if you don't change position your perspective does not change.

This effect (changing perspective) is not possible without zooming. You cannot use random focal length to get what you want.
Jaws.gif

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ecka said:
You cannot use random focal length to get what you want.

Yes you can, just crop, or use a different sized camera. An iPhone takes normal perspective images with a 4mm lens, a 135 format camera appears to give distorted perspective images at 17mm, but when shot from the same place crop the 17mm image to the 4mm image framing and the images are the same, no distortion and the background elements are as 'compressed' as with any other lens with that framing from that place.

These two images are shot from the same place with the same camera, one with a 17mm lens the other with a 200mm lens, they both have the same perspective because they were shot from the same place.

Perspective has nothing to do with field of view or focal length, zero, nada, zilch. Perspective is describing where you are in space in relation to your subject, and where the subject is in relation to the other elements in the picture and the viewer, you can only change perspective by moving yourself or one or more of the elements within the frame, that is what perspective means.

Perspective gives you your view; focal length (in combination with your sensor size or crop) gives you the angle of that view, but it doesn't affect your spatial relationship to your subject or the other elements in the picture. Dolly zooming does change the spatial relationship of the subject to camera, so it changes the perspective.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,581
Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:

Yes you can, just crop, or use a different sized camera. An iPhone takes normal perspective images with a 4mm lens, a 135 format camera appears to give distorted perspective images at 17mm, but when shot from the same place crop the 17mm image to the 4mm image framing and the images are the same, no distortion and the background elements are as 'compressed' as with any other lens with that framing from that place.

These two images are shot from the same place with the same camera, one with a 17mm lens the other with a 200mm lens, they both have the same perspective because they were shot from the same place.

Perspective has nothing to do with field of view or focal length, zero, nada, zilch. Perspective is describing where you are in space in relation to your subject, and where the subject is in relation to the other elements in the picture and the viewer, you can only change perspective by moving yourself or one or more of the elements within the frame, that is what perspective means.

Perspective gives you your view; focal length (in combination with your sensor size or crop) gives you the angle of that view, but it doesn't affect your spatial relationship to your subject or the other elements in the picture. Dolly zooming does change the spatial relationship of the subject to camera, so it changes the perspective.

Cropping doesn't prove your theory, sorry. You've shot two different pictures from the same spot, that's all.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:

Cropping doesn't prove your theory, sorry. You've shot two different pictures from the same spot, that's all.

The two pictures have the same perspective.

It isn't a theory either, that is the definition of perspective, it isn't my definition, it is the actual definition.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:
privatebydesign said:
ecka said:

The two pictures have the same perspective.

So what? You still can't shoot the same picture using the same FL from whatever distance to get different perspective. All you can do is cropping or using different camera format (which is cheating) :).

It isn't a theory either, that is the definition of perspective, it isn't my definition, it is the actual definition.

Really? :) I thought it was about representing 3D objects in 2D.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
dlee13 said:
I've had this lens since around March and it never ceases to impress me. I personally feel the colors it produces are great, but at the same time I haven't used the 24-70. If you think about it more, you should be disappointed if the 35 IS which is a $600 lens has better colors than the 2K+ 24-70.

+1, these two are my most used lenses. The 35mm f2 IS beats my 24-70mm f2.8 Mk1 handsdown

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Hjalmarg1 said:
dlee13 said:

+1, these two are my most used lenses. The 35mm f2 IS beats my 24-70mm f2.8 Mk1 handsdown

When the lens was launched I can understand why it wasn't as popular due to it being overpriced, but at it's current price I think it's honestly one of Canon's best lenses (especially considering it's a non L lens). If Canon can make a 50 and 85mm lens with the same quality as the 35, I will definitely be getting it (85mm especially).

Upvote 0
davidcl0nel said:
I love it.
I love the view angle, good enough for many tasks. Its very sharp, similar to my 100L macro... I often use both of them and don't miss a zoom.

+1

This is the combo I take with 6D, often accompanied by a fisheye. I love the 35mm f/2 IS. I would say it is the sharpest lens I have, even edging out the 100mm L Macro.

To the OP, maybe you got a dud, or you are looking for something it can't do for you?

Greg

Upvote 0
davidcl0nel said:
I love it.
I love the view angle, good enough for many tasks. Its very sharp, similar to my 100L macro... I often use both of them and don't miss a zoom.

+1
The 35/2 IS is super sharp and draws beautifully. At one point my copy became a little de-centered, or I first noticed it was de-centered. So it required a trip to Canon's service center for repair. After repair, it is just excellent. The 35L's bokeh is probably a little better, but not by much. I prefer the 35/2 IS due to its lighter weight and smaller size, and it has IS.

Upvote 0
The OP may just prefer the narrower field of view of longer focal lengths. On full frame, the 35 mm view is a bit wide.
I like the 35F2 IS very much, but prefer the view of a 50 on full frame for people photos. Some people don't care for the way the new 35 renders color. That is a subjective evaluation, but I have read negative comments that some people expressed about how the 35 works for portraits.
I like the fast and accurate AF of the 35, and it is very sharp. It is one of my favorite lenses, but each to his/her own.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
privatebydesign said:

Perspective is typically understood as the relationship between your subject and its surroundings. As your two photos demonstrate, two different focal length lenses at the same distance will yield the same perspective of your "scene". But, you need to crop the image from the shorter lens to duplicate the view of the longer.

However, to suggest that perspective has nothing to do with focal length serves to invite a semantics debate. While technically true, it's wrong in practice. When comparing two lenses of different focal lengths by shooting a given subject, one typically assumes that goal of the comparison is to fill the frame with the subject during the comparison. This means changing the distance to the subject.

Technically, it's this change in distance that changes the perspective. But, it's the change in focal length that necessitates the change in distance to capture two images of the same subject that fills the frame. Because filling the frame with your subject is typically understood as a given for such a comparison, then focal length does affect perspective.

Oh, the 35 f2 IS is a fun, bright, sharp lens that focuses quickly and quietly. It is surprisingly comparable to my 24-70 f2.8L II at 35mm. But, the 24-70 is quieter and maybe a little quicker to focus.

Upvote 0