CANON 600 EX FLASH (O.E.M)

Feb 23, 2015
109
9
#1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Canon-Speedlite-600EX-RT-Wireless-Shoe-Mount-Flash-/252717770683?epid=1600399856&hash=item3ad72727bb:g:jFsAAOSw2xRYTA-g

Should I buy an oem flash? Is there nay disadvantage or is exactly the same as the original Canon 600ex?

Thanks
 
Apr 3, 2013
4,017
57
51
Isle of Wight
#2
Hi Bergstrom.
I'm not sure I am comprehending your question correctly.
How could there be any downside to owning an oem flash, they set the bar which all third party manufacturers aim for.
The 600ex-rt is I believe the same power and design as the 600ex but has the rt added in.

Cheers, Graham.

bergstrom said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Canon-Speedlite-600EX-RT-Wireless-Shoe-Mount-Flash-/252717770683?epid=1600399856&hash=item3ad72727bb:g:jFsAAOSw2xRYTA-g

Should I buy an oem flash? Is there nay disadvantage or is exactly the same as the original Canon 600ex?

Thanks
 

neuroanatomist

Spends Too Much Time on This Forum
Jul 21, 2010
23,509
543
#3
Let's see...fleEbay...ships from China...temptingly good price...what makes you sure you'd be buying an OEM flash? Quite possibly a counterfeit, in which case there are many potential disadvantages.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

Spends Too Much Time on This Forum
Mar 25, 2011
14,915
320
#5
neuroanatomist said:
Let's see...fleEbay...ships from China...temptingly good price...what makes you sure you'd be buying an OEM flash? Quite possibly a counterfeit, in which case there are many potential disadvantages.
You beat me to it. Counterfeit Canon flashes have been a issue. Ebay does not remove them unless Canon calls for a take down.

Use a credit card(lets you charge back for a fake), and make sure you can identify a real one versus counterfeit.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6464631974/canon-warns-about-dangers-of-counterfeit-camera-gear
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,941
468
#7
Valvebounce said:
The 600ex-rt is I believe the same power and design as the 600ex but has the rt added in.

Cheers, Graham.

bergstrom said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Canon-Speedlite-600EX-RT-Wireless-Shoe-Mount-Flash-/252717770683?epid=1600399856&hash=item3ad72727bb:g:jFsAAOSw2xRYTA-g

Should I buy an oem flash? Is there nay disadvantage or is exactly the same as the original Canon 600ex?

Thanks
There was a 600 EX without RT? Don't think so. I thought the flagship progression was 580EX II --> 600 EX RT --> 600 EX RT II

Also, you might want to consider Canon refurbs over using eBay, which is littered with shadiness, dubious honesty in listings and the risk of an outright rip-off. I only use eBay once or twice a year these days, and usually for Etsy-level inexpensive gifts I can't find elsewhere (think: rock tour t-shirt, old hockey jersey, missing piece for a boardgame, etc.)

- A
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,941
468
#8
Wait a minute, there actually was a 600EX that wasn't RT?

http://www.canon.com.my/mobile/personal/products/eos-accessories/speedlite-600ex?languageCode=EN

Someone please set me straight.

- A
 
Apr 3, 2013
4,017
57
51
Isle of Wight
#9
Hi A.
There most certainly was a 600EX without RT, found here it has Optical master / slave capability, but no Radio Transmission ability.
I think the progression was 580EX II, 600EX, 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT, I hope that clears up that little conundrum. :)
I found no mention of a 600EX II non RT, but I'm ready to get edumacated about that too ;).

Cheers, Graham.


ahsanford said:
Valvebounce said:
The 600ex-rt is I believe the same power and design as the 600ex but has the rt added in.

Cheers, Graham.

There was a 600 EX without RT? Don't think so. I thought the flagship progression was 580EX II --> 600 EX RT --> 600 EX RT II

- A
 
Jul 28, 2013
73
0
Taipei, Taiwan
#10
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
 

LDS

EOS 80D
Sep 14, 2012
1,396
45
#11
ahsanford said:
Wait a minute, there actually was a 600EX that wasn't RT?

http://www.canon.com.my/mobile/personal/products/eos-accessories/speedlite-600ex?languageCode=EN

Someone please set me straight.

- A
The manual of my 600EX-RT on its cover has "Speedlite 600EX-RT - Speedlite 600EX", and in the Introduction (page 2) explains the difference :)

Don't know about the availability in most markets of the non-RT version, the price difference, and how many has been sold. If it was cheaper, it could have been a good option for those using a single unit and thereby never using the RT features.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,223
203
118
#12
winglet said:
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
This is the truth.

The 600-EX and 600-EX-RT were released at the same time, the 600-EX was released in countries that don't allow the frequency use the 600-EX-RT was released everywhere else.

So for the pedants amongst us, and I don't claim to not be one of them:-
The top end progression was 580EX II, 600EX/600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT. Of minor interest to us geeks, I haven't seen any mention of a 600EX II.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,941
468
#13
privatebydesign said:
winglet said:
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
This is the truth.

The 600-EX and 600-EX-RT were released at the same time, the 600-EX was released in countries that don't allow the frequency use the 600-EX-RT was released everywhere else.

So for the pedants amongst us, and I don't claim to not be one of them:-
The top end progression was 580EX II, 600EX/600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT. Of minor interest to us geeks, I haven't seen any mention of a 600EX II.
Ah, interesting. So did the US ever see the 600EX from authorized resellers?

- A
 
Jan 28, 2015
2,729
314
Irving, Texas
#14
ahsanford said:
Valvebounce said:
The 600ex-rt is I believe the same power and design as the 600ex but has the rt added in.

Cheers, Graham.

bergstrom said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Canon-Speedlite-600EX-RT-Wireless-Shoe-Mount-Flash-/252717770683?epid=1600399856&hash=item3ad72727bb:g:jFsAAOSw2xRYTA-g

Should I buy an oem flash? Is there nay disadvantage or is exactly the same as the original Canon 600ex?

Thanks
There was a 600 EX without RT? Don't think so. I thought the flagship progression was 580EX II --> 600 EX RT --> 600 EX RT II

Also, you might want to consider Canon refurbs over using eBay, which is littered with shadiness, dubious honesty in listings and the risk of an outright rip-off. I only use eBay once or twice a year these days, and usually for Etsy-level inexpensive gifts I can't find elsewhere (think: rock tour t-shirt, old hockey jersey, missing piece for a boardgame, etc.)

- A
There was, for a short time.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,223
203
118
#15
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
winglet said:
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
This is the truth.

The 600-EX and 600-EX-RT were released at the same time, the 600-EX was released in countries that don't allow the frequency use the 600-EX-RT was released everywhere else.

So for the pedants amongst us, and I don't claim to not be one of them:-
The top end progression was 580EX II, 600EX/600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT. Of minor interest to us geeks, I haven't seen any mention of a 600EX II.
Ah, interesting. So did the US ever see the 600EX from authorized resellers?

- A
No.

The 600EX-RT manual also covers the 600EX and mentions it several times ( http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300007510/04/600ex-600exrt-im5-en-es-fr.pdf ), the 600EX II-RT manual doesn't mention a 600EX II that I have seen.

Here is a list of limitations to use that Canon gave out. Obviously ignored in many of the listed places.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007528/01/600ex-st-e3-rt-c-cpx-004-en.pdf


CanonFanBoy said:
ahsanford said:
There was a 600 EX without RT? Don't think so. I thought the flagship progression was 580EX II --> 600 EX RT --> 600 EX RT II
There was, for a short time.
No, the 600EX and 600EX-RT were concurrent models that were released at exactly the same time.
 

Attachments

Jan 28, 2015
2,729
314
Irving, Texas
#16
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
winglet said:
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
This is the truth.

The 600-EX and 600-EX-RT were released at the same time, the 600-EX was released in countries that don't allow the frequency use the 600-EX-RT was released everywhere else.

So for the pedants amongst us, and I don't claim to not be one of them:-
The top end progression was 580EX II, 600EX/600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT. Of minor interest to us geeks, I haven't seen any mention of a 600EX II.
Ah, interesting. So did the US ever see the 600EX from authorized resellers?

- A
No.

The 600EX-RT manual also covers the 600EX and mentions it several times ( http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300007510/04/600ex-600exrt-im5-en-es-fr.pdf ), the 600EX II-RT manual doesn't mention a 600EX II that I have seen.

Here is a list of limitations to use that Canon gave out. Obviously ignored in many of the listed places.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007528/01/600ex-st-e3-rt-c-cpx-004-en.pdf


CanonFanBoy said:
ahsanford said:
There was a 600 EX without RT? Don't think so. I thought the flagship progression was 580EX II --> 600 EX RT --> 600 EX RT II
There was, for a short time.
No, the 600EX and 600EX-RT were concurrent models that were released at exactly the same time.
Yup. And if I remember correctly the 600EX could be purchased through Adorama here in the U.S. for a very short time. Seems I remember making sure I ordered the RT model when I bought my seven. Funny, but wiki does not even mention the 600EX, but I remember it.
 

neuroanatomist

Spends Too Much Time on This Forum
Jul 21, 2010
23,509
543
#17
winglet said:
I believe part of the reason for the 600EX was for sale in jurisdictions where it wasn't possible to get approval for the radio frequencies used or radio triggering is otherwise forbidden. Different regulatory standards in different markets, etc.
True. That's the same reason there are, to give one other example, a 6D (WG) and a 6D (N), where the (WG) indicates WiFi and GPS, and the (N) has neither.