Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Today I got my new 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. I made some first sample shots - and I am blown away by this lens. It is really sharp wide open. I could not find any CA. The Bokeh is just wonderful: smooth like butter - and no onion type stuff. IS works well...

What do I want more?

I will prepare a detailed comparison between the Canon EF 85mm f1.4L with the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art I hope to have this comparison ready within the next few days...

Meanwhile have a quick look to my blog: http://bit.ly/2zKesGi

It will be interesting to get your feeling about this lens

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
JoFT,

thanks for sharing your experience . the sample images are quite small. would you be able to share unedited RAW file of the Milvus lens (mount up) shot and the next one with credit card, please?

notice how the "CE" lettering has a purple fringe to it and distance scale turns slowly green going into the bokeh area. it is not that bad, of course, just not evident in these samples. in the example with credit card focus is not on text area hence it is not obvious again.
rendition is definitely nice.
you may consider AFMA your lens. it seems consistently front focusing for you. Not being critical of your work, just a technical point you may consider.

CanonFanBoy

...This should stop a lot of the negative speculation coming from the Sigma crowd.

just a couple of observations if I may:

1. before you wack a label "Sigma crowd" on someone, take a moment to consider that I am 95% Canon in terms of number of lenses in my bag and 100% Canon camera bodies. Dustin Abbott is a strong Tamron supported. why wouldn't you call him a "Tamron Crowd" then? think about it.
2. what you call speculations is evident for those that know where to look and what to look for. if you would like a detailed professional opinion on CA levels in the images provided I am happy to point problematic areas for you out and also provide my opinion on other features present in the samples. Happy to send you a personal message but would be hesitant to comment on forum pages for obvious ethical reasons.

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this Canon vs Sigma game. I consider this lens to be a solid performer but not a spectacular one. it will be evident at the time when professional reviewers will come out pointing to the same problematic areas that are evident in all the sample images I have encountered so far.

JoFT said:
Today I got my new 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. I made some first sample shots - and I am blown away by this lens. It is really sharp wide open. I could not find any CA. The Bokeh is just wonderful: smooth like butter - and no onion type stuff. IS works well...

What do I want more?

I will prepare a detailed comparison between the Canon EF 85mm f1.4L with the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art I hope to have this comparison ready within the next few days...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What would you suggest I call the crowd that insists the Sigma line is so awesome AF wise when there are so many having so many problems with the AF? I call them Sigma fans, Sigma crowd, etc. There is nothing at all insulting about that. If you think so, then maybe you should take a chill pill. There's the Canon crowd too. I am a part of that crowd and the Tamron 15-30 crowd. I own the Tamron and MY COPY is a fine lens.

I enjoy Dustin's reviews because I perceive him to be very honest and unbiased. Dustin is a fine man and one never reads him participating in the back and forth flaming so many of us participate in here. In fact, his review of the Tamron 15-30 is what convinced me to buy it. You shouldn't be dropping other people's names and dragging it through the mud behind you.

I also own 3 Russian Helios lenses. I'm part of the Helios crowd too.

So, if you don't like me calling people who like the Sigma line the Sigma crowd... that's just tough biscuits for you. The fact that you got bent about that puts you in a special crowd of your own. It ain't about you, dude. Want to be the thought police? Go right ahead. Just leave me out of it. My post was not directed at you personally, so just stop it. I'll "wack a label" on anything I want. Don't like it? Tough.

Sigma fanboy much? I admit I'm a Canonfanboy right from the start. Like you said in a recent post (paraphrase), "It is amazing that having an opinion different..." Get over yourself.

I don't appreciate being labeled a label wacker either. ::) ::) (extreme don't care at all.) See how that works? Think about it.

You also say in another post, "How accurate do you need AF to be?" Easy answer. At least as accurate as Canon. If I buy a lens with AF it better darn well work whether I need it or not.

One more thing: You say you are 95% Canon lenses in your bag and 100% Canon bodies. What is your point with that? I own 2 Canon bodies and 1 Voightlander. I'm 66.66% Canon there. I own 1 Tamron SP 15-30, 5 Canon L lenses (6 if I count my 2X III), 3 Helios MF lenses I use on my 5D Mark III, and a Voightlander MF lens for my Voightlander body. So I'm barely over 50% Canon in the lens department. Is your point that you are staunchly in Canon's corner? Are you a bigger fanboy? I don't see how what you have in your bag makes a difference about one single thing. Fanboy is a state of mind.

SecureGSM said:
JoFT,

thanks for sharing your experience . the sample images are quite small. would you be able to share unedited RAW file of the Milvus lens (mount up) shot and the next one with credit card, please?

notice how the "CE" lettering has a purple fringe to it and distance scale turns slowly green going into the bokeh area. it is not that bad, of course, just not evident in these samples. in the example with credit card focus is not on text area hence it is not obvious again.
you may consider AFMA your lens. it seems consistently front focusing for you. Not being critical of your work, just a technical point you may consider.

CanonFanBoy

...This should stop a lot of the negative speculation coming from the Sigma crowd.

1. before you wack a label "Sigma crowd" on someone, take a moment to consider that I am 95% Canon in terms of number of lenses in my bag and 100% Canon camera bodies. Dustin Abbott is a strong Tamron supported. why wouldn't you call him a "Tamron Crowd" then? think about it.
2. what you call speculations is evident for those that know where to look and what to look for. if you would like a detailed professional opinion on CA levels in the images provided I am happy to point problematic areas for you out and also provide my opinion on other features present in the samples. Happy to send you a personal message but would be hesitant to comment on forum pages for obvious ethical reasons.

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this Canon vs Sigma game. I consider this lens to be a solid performer but not a spectacular one. it will be evident at the time when professional reviewers will come out pointing to the same problematic areas that are evident in all the sample images I have encountered so far.

JoFT said:

What do I want more?

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
LSXPhotog said:
Please dont’ talk about the Sigma autofocus again. They don’t work. End of story. LOL

Beautiful lenses that are well built, but they can’t be depended on for their autofocus like a Canon lens.

Sold my 85mm Art on Friday. The new Canon is a winner.

Congrats. You'll gain a smaller lens with less weight and size, IS ans weather sealing....

It will be hard 2 weeks until I will get the Sigma for comparison... But I will make the comparison fair...

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
SecureGSM said:
JoFT,

CanonFanBoy

JoFT said:

What do I want more?

thank for your comments... I do have "larger" files linked in my summary. Unfortunetely Zenfolio askes for money for uploading raw files... And they get enough for the rest....

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
LSXPhotog said:
Please dont’ talk about the Sigma autofocus again. They don’t work. End of story. LOL

Beautiful lenses that are well built, but they can’t be depended on for their autofocus like a Canon lens.

Sold my 85mm Art on Friday. The new Canon is a winner.

+1

That's telling those Sigma fanboys/girls!

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
I thought I should add some images to illustrate the amazing quality of this lens... All these images were taken @ f1.4 on the EOS M5...

Attachments

• 9D6F3F12-946E-4A83-9C61-6D1E6187BA03.jpeg
    9D6F3F12-946E-4A83-9C61-6D1E6187BA03.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 6C2397F1-A666-4F0B-A23E-A76F03DB6024.jpeg
    6C2397F1-A666-4F0B-A23E-A76F03DB6024.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 875315B4-AC07-437F-ACE5-F191E534DB15.jpeg
    875315B4-AC07-437F-ACE5-F191E534DB15.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 4D5A7B38-0A98-4BD4-899A-E3C87D7D120E.jpeg
    4D5A7B38-0A98-4BD4-899A-E3C87D7D120E.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 74C4DEEB-A3DB-44B1-8747-D24E4C491C04.jpeg
    74C4DEEB-A3DB-44B1-8747-D24E4C491C04.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
JoFT said:
I thought I should add some images to illustrate the amazing quality of this lens... All these images were taken @ f1.4 on the EOS M5...

Thanks JoFT :) I'm already lining up things to sell so I can get this thanks to your shots and opinion. Seriously. Going to sell all 7 of my 600EX-RT flash asap. I use a flashpoint streaklight for flash now. Hardly used the Canons as I almost always shoot outdoors. Might keep 1 or 2. I don't kniow. A lens would be better to have for me. Think I've decided to get the 135 f/2 IS when it comes also. Thanks for the posts. :D

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
CanonFanBoy said:
JoFT said:

Thanks JoFT :) I'm already lining up things to sell so I can get this thanks to your shots and opinion. Seriously. Going to sell all 7 of my 600EX-RT flash asap. I use a flashpoint streaklight for flash now. Hardly used the Canons as I almost always shoot outdoors. Might keep 1 or 2. I don't kniow. A lens would be better to have for me. Think I've decided to get the 135 f/2 IS when it comes also. Thanks for the posts. :D

Thx for commenting...

Flashwise I do have studio flashes and just one 430 RT with the Remote controller. But for mobile work the Yongnuo works well, too..

The 135 will be awesome, too. But my philosophy is a bit difference. My lens lineup is 15/35/85/200 and than a Fullframe and an APS-C Body... than i have 22/55/135/32 as equivalent.... ;-)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Suspicion confirmed. The 85 IS’ lens hood is useless in the rain. I mean, they finally weather seal it and then shorten the lens hood so the front element is impossible to keep dry, *facepalm* and it was just a light drizzle with no wind and I was carrying it lens pointing down, so the rain is just from a couple of shots...

Attachments

• D289300A-99BE-40A9-B95C-1E51DCD3D7A6.jpeg
    D289300A-99BE-40A9-B95C-1E51DCD3D7A6.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Viggo said:
Suspicion confirmed. The 85 IS’ lens hood is useless in the rain. I mean, they finally weather seal it and then shorten the lens hood so the front element is impossible to keep dry, *facepalm* and it was just a light drizzle with no wind and I was carrying it lens pointing down, so the rain is just from a couple of shots...

Ouch!
3D printer to the rescue?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Viggo said:

A hood is not principally for keeping rain off the front element. Do you similarly complain that the very low profile petal-shaped hoods on the UWA zooms are similarly faulty as well? ::)

But is the hood too short? Or is this just the reality of switching from an externally focusing lens to and internally focusing lens? See pics (all from TDP): at MFD, the distance from the front element to the edge of the hood is similar.

I'm thinking more and more that Canon is leveraging an internally focusing lens design to give us something no bigger than it needs to be. Less space to take up in a bag when not on the lens.

- A

Attachments

• 85L hoods.jpg
    85L hoods.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Viggo said:

Also, though I can't see it in the manual ???, I'm presuming you need to front filter for the weather sealing to work on this one.

Do you front filter when you go into the rain?

- A

Upvote 0