Get closer, with images larger than life, using the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro was announced this week, and judging by the preorder numbers, it’s going to be a huge success. I think partially because of the very competitive pricing for this unique Macro lens.
The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro isn’t scheduled to begin shipping until the end of July, so you have some time to save those pennies and wait impatiently for this lens.
Above is another promotional video from Canon Europe showcasing the features of the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro.
Key Features

World’s First Medium Telephoto Macro Lens with a Maximum Magnification of 1.4x
High Image Quality and Bright, fixed f/2.8 Aperture Telephoto Macro RF Lens
Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5 Stops of Shake Correction
Hybrid IS Compensates for Angular and Shift Camera Shake during Macro Shooting
High Speed, Smooth and Quiet Auto Focus with Dual Nano USM...

Continue reading...

Jun 29, 2017
I love that when they get to SA Control, they go right to portraiture.

Looks like a fantastic update from the EF 100mm Macro. I may pick this up later this year for my macro work. With the R5 focus stacking, it looks like I can ditch using a tripod for some of my macro work. I wonder if a new macro flash ring is coming or if the existing is compatible.

Upvote 0
I've gotta say... I'm a little disappointed in the new RF 100's IS capabilities at macro distances... At 3:04 on Canon's promo video it states "Approx. 2-Stops of stabilization at 1.0x magnification." That is just about what I get with my 10 year old EF 100 L IS... Maybe it's just the Laws of Physics limiting the real-world effectiveness of IS at macro-levels... I don't know... But when I first read that this new RF 100 would have 8-Stops of stabilization on my R5, my pre-order trigger-finger started to twitch... Now, I might have to wait for some hands-on reviews... Sure, the additional 0.4x magnification is great. And the new SA adjustment might be fun to play with for portraiture, though I'm not sure if it'll really be applicable to macro work. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling or anything; I would love for someone to tell me what it is I'm not seeing here... BTW according to Bryan at The Digital Picture, the new RF 100 Macro will have the same 64mm filter threads as the EF 100, so the existing ring &/or twin flashes should be compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I'm on the fence whether this would be a worthwhile lens for me. It looks great; don't get me wrong. But unfortunately my 100L is one of my least used lens. And when I do use it, I like being able to use it on both fullframe and APS-C. What I am more curious about is whether that SA control would be added to an RF85mm mark 2. Would it effectively make a separate DS version unnecessary, or do SA and DS serve two completely different purposes?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Would it effectively make a separate DS version unnecessary, or do SA and DS serve two completely different purposes?
They are different. With the SA, you can soften the background at the cost of losing sharpness in your subject. So in most circumstances, you will only use it to add a hint of softening.

DS doesn't compromise on sharpness, but light instead. I also think it has a much more pleasant effect. Personally, it looks to me like sharpening the background with SA is actually more appealing, as it creates the sort of bubble bokeh that some poorly corrected vintage lenses give.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It has about same working distance as EF 100mm L, I surely am getting this lens but will be waiting for APS-C RF body before buying into system. Also it is very exciting to see what Canon does with replacement to EF 180mm Macro.
What is your rational for a crop sensor sized RF camera?

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I'm on the fence whether this would be a worthwhile lens for me. ...my 100L is one of my least used lens.
It seems to me that you pretty much answered your own question. If you don’t use the very similar lens that you have, you don’t need to throw your money away on a newer version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
What is your rational for a crop sensor sized RF camera?
With crop sensor and 1.4x mag ratio I can get 17.1x11.5mm(better coverage than 1x on micro 4/3 cameras) subject to cover crop sensor vs 25.7x17.1mm(Canon APS-C is 24x16mm) at 1.4x for 35mm sensor size. When working with small subjects(in my case small reptiles and amphibians) in order to take photos of their characters that small sensor coupled with higher mag ratio is really useful. Also in case of small lizards(for eg: http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2021/03/cnemaspis-rajgadensis.html) which already are too small for 1x on FF with APS-C I can get away with carrying just single lens vs having to pack MP-E 65mm and 1x Macro lens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With crop sensor and 1.4x mag ratio I can get 17.1x11.5mm(better coverage than 1x on micro 4/3 cameras) subject to cover crop sensor vs 25.7x17.1mm(Canon APS-C is 24x16mm) at 1.4x for 35mm sensor size. When working with small subjects(in my case small reptiles and amphibians) in order to take photos of their characters that small sensor coupled with higher mag ratio is really useful. Also in case of small lizards(for eg: http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2021/03/cnemaspis-rajgadensis.html) which already are too small for 1x on FF with APS-C I can get away with carrying just single lens vs having to pack MP-E 65mm and 1x Macro lens.
I’m sorry I don’t understand, 1.4:1 is the same size on any sensor, what is to stop you simply cropping a larger sensor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I pre-ordered the other day. I think Canon marketing missed the boat by not releasing this sooner. They obviously misjudged demand for a RF macro. I like to shoot handheld when I can and since it works with ibis, 8x of stabilization will be nice. I don't know what level I get with my EF L macro, I've been indoors since my R5 came and I shoot outdoors. Finally, the first day of reasonable weather came today.

Upvote 0
I would like a reply to this as well. Just to understand.
I believe the standard argument for a crop sensor is pixel density. Something like the M6 sensor is 32MP vs a cropped R5 sensor being about 17MP.
While the older ones amongst us remember cropped sensors were originally just a compromise because in the early digital days full frame sensors were either impossible (to make or work with) or just far too expensive. Of course, once you give someone a tool, they learn to use it and it's various advantages and disadvantages.
So pixel density (the 'reach') , and to some degree price. Finally there's the speed and storage if the resolution isn't insanely high. Processing 32MP is easier than 45 and more shots per card. This is usually a false argument for most crop users, as price is the primary guiding force, so the lower end cameras are slower and they'll buy smaller storage.
To add a personal note, I moved away from crop sensors primarily because I enjoy wide angle shooting.

Upvote 0