Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

Jack Douglas said:
Thanks click, but where is the critique? ;)

Jack
I think everyone here is missing the most important thing that is missing in all of your Lake Louise pic's; lighting on the main subject.

All three images are lifeless and more or less pointless. Take the first image for example, if that was an evening shot, then you should have taken the photo in the morning where the sun would have lit the entire mountain surface and water. You image would have really popped with that sun on your subject.

If there is no light on your subject, who cares if your image composition leads the viewer correctly to a certain part of the pic or the V -shape of the mountains is centered and reflected perfectly on the lake's surface...you must have light on subject in these type of photo's.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
jblake said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks click, but where is the critique? ;)

Jack
I think everyone here is missing the most important thing that is missing in all of your Lake Louise pic's; lighting on the main subject.

All three images are lifeless and more or less pointless. Take the first image for example, if that was an evening shot, then you should have taken the photo in the morning where the sun would have lit the entire mountain surface and water. You image would have really popped with that sun on your subject.

If there is no light on your subject, who cares if your image composition leads the viewer correctly to a certain part of the pic or the V -shape of the mountains is centered and reflected perfectly on the lake's surface...you must have light on subject in these type of photo's.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I want. Obviously I agree and recognize that often we tend to take the snapshots at the moment and don't or can't do as you've suggested. As a result the photo's are lacking. This shot is lacking but it impresses lots of folk because they mentally adjust and compensate because they already know the mountains and scenery is majestic. I really need to learn to "see" properly. Of course that's a subjective comment at best; still I am taking the the criticisms to heart.

It's unfortunate that it is difficult in general, and with a wide audience, to post frank comments without them triggering angry responses such as in the arguments and insults seen in other threads, but I sense that threads such as this one are more like friends just having fun. I'm thankful.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
wtlloyd said:
Ya, lighting's important, but with this lens, as with traditional fisheyes, a level horizon is a must.
Jack Douglas - this bothered me most about your posted shot. Dunno if this is "correct" but it sure is more pleasing to my eye, anyway.

Never thought about this being un-level and it may well have been since it was hand held and I didn't check using the camera level. However, I agree in principle that it's important and I actually usually try to remind myself of that. Likewise, with the 11-24 I always at least try to consider what impact the tilt of the camera is having on vertical subjects such as the trees. Any comments on how to relate to tilt in a perspective or whatever you call it?

In this feedback specifically, how do I judge the horizon to be level by eye?

BTW, blunt is OK for feedback as long as it's not just a personal shot or insult. I'm fine on that front! ;)

Hope I'm not monopolizing the thread and that others can benefit too.

Jack

Upvote 0
I kicked it up on the right 1.5 degrees, but as I said, it's more a subjective thing than a certainty. But I liked how the rails got re-positioned when I did so, it seemed to make a more dramatic foreground. I forget what camera you are using...newer ones with in viewfinder levels are a godsend - the point is, unless you're looking at an ocean or very large lake, these extreme wide angle lenses are very difficult to determine where level is.
I processed the photo as well, but the site display doesn't show the difference, if you download my version and compare it to the original you'll see I pulled the shadows up a fair bit and the sky was brought down to give more detail.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
wtlloyd said:
I kicked it up on the right 1.5 degrees, but as I said, it's more a subjective thing than a certainty. But I liked how the rails got re-positioned when I did so, it seemed to make a more dramatic foreground. I forget what camera you are using...newer ones with in viewfinder levels are a godsend - the point is, unless you're looking at an ocean or very large lake, these extreme wide angle lenses are very difficult to determine where level is.
I processed the photo as well, but the site display doesn't show the difference, if you download my version and compare it to the original you'll see I pulled the shadows up a fair bit and the sky was brought down to give more detail.

Thanks for that! I really enjoy the helpful comments and hopefully will improve. Only 3 years into this with a DSLR but determined to rise above mediocrity. ;) I lifted shadows to the limit of DPP and so far only have DPP as my PP capability.

Jack

Upvote 0
A local photography group I´m in had the summer closing arrangement yesterday, with a challenge; Asker (my local town) through a wide angle, in 45 minutes ... Nor furs or feathers to be seen, also called; Eldar is outside his comfort zone ...

But I thought, with this fantastic lens, I must be able to deliver something and ended up in the dungeons at Asker station, off peak traffic.

1DX-II, 11mm, 1/160s, F9.0, ISO5000

Attachments

• _V4I1775.jpg
    _V4I1775.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar as you know I'm no expert but I think this was a pretty good choice. I like the flow of the lines and the placement. Every photo I view helps me to visualize better too.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Every time I use this lens at 11mm, I am equally impressed and amazed every time. As you say, to visualise what anything will look like is very difficult. In my case, I have difficulty seeing good opportunities that are not just a copy of something I´ve already done. Practice, practice, practice ... :p

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:
A local photography group I´m in had the summer closing arrangement yesterday, with a challenge; Asker (my local town) through a wide angle, in 45 minutes ... Nor furs or feathers to be seen, also called; Eldar is outside his comfort zone ...

But I thought, with this fantastic lens, I must be able to deliver something and ended up in the dungeons at Asker station, off peak traffic.

11 mil ? I bet that woman thought you were shooting a study of her shopping bag ! And how come it all looks so peaceful and calm when Norway's not a member of the EU ? We've all been told that if we Brits leave the EU it'll end in anarchy and starvation and no defence and America won't love us anymore and............. ;D

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Eldar said:

11 mil ? I bet that woman thought you were shooting a study of her shopping bag ! And how come it all looks so peaceful and calm when Norway's not a member of the EU ? We've all been told that if we Brits leave the EU it'll end in anarchy and starvation and no defence and America won't love us anymore and............. ;D
He he, if you knew the price we pay ... and considering your negotiating position ... where France and Germany and the others will make an example of what happens to those who leave (you just don´t leave Cosa Nostra)... does´t sound promising. We pay the bill and we are actually more integrated in the EU than most of the EU members, but we don´t have a seat and we don´t have a vote. Or a typical; EU win, we lose scenario. As for the image, you can clearly see that the woman is in everything but good shape and the calmness is probably a sign of resignation ;)

But the lens is great though!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:
Sporgon said:
Eldar said:

He he, if you knew the price we pay ... and considering your negotiating position ... where France and Germany and the others will make an example of what happens to those who leave (you just don´t leave Cosa Nostra)... does´t sound promising. We pay the bill and we are actually more integrated in the EU than most of the EU members, but we don´t have a seat and we don´t have a vote. Or a typical; EU win, we lose scenario. As for the image, you can clearly see that the woman is in everything but good shape and the calmness is probably a sign of resignation ;)

But the lens is great though!

You're certainly finding some scenes to fit it too !

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Eldar said:
On north eastern Iceland, you´ll find the fantastic Aldeyarfoss. Spectacular area and a three star destination on any hiker´s/nature lover´s bucket list.

5DSR, 1/800s, f/7.1, ISO100 @11mm

Eldar, while it's a nice scenic shot I'm wondering in this case if the 11 mm doesn't just diminish the falls, which one would assume is the more noteworthy item. Any thoughts on this?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:
On north eastern Iceland, you´ll find the fantastic Aldeyarfoss. Spectacular area and a three star destination on any hiker´s/nature lover´s bucket list.

5DSR, 1/800s, f/7.1, ISO100 @11mm

Eldar, while it's a nice scenic shot I'm wondering in this case if the 11 mm doesn't just diminish the falls, which one would assume is the more noteworthy item. Any thoughts on this?

Jack
I think you are absolutely right and I was actually wondering if anyone would make that comment. Very/too often people are using too much wide angle on scenes like this. The only defence for this wide angle shot is to show the river in context with the lave scenery.

I made lots of shots of this scene and the best, in my opinion, is a stich of 5 portrait images, shot at 70mm. I'll post that later (I am currently on travel, without access to the images).

Upvote 0
From a ship yard.
it's a very fine and challenging lens :)

9Z6C4495.jpg

9Z6C4976.jpg

9Z6C4600.jpg

9Z6C5339.jpg

Upvote 0