Canon EOS M3 Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
da_guy2 said:
Oh well another M that's DOA.

No DPAF, optional ($250) EVF, and a 24MP sensor that (assuming its the same as their other 24MP sensors) isn't that great. I have no idea why anyone would get this over a Sony a6000 unless it was remarkably cheap.

You may have just been outed as a Sony fanboy. Canon doesn't have any 24 MP bodies yet. This is actually the highest res APS-C sensor Canon has ever produced, isn't it?

- A

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
da_guy2 said:

No DPAF, optional ($250) EVF, and a 24MP sensor that (assuming its the same as their other 24MP sensors) isn't that great. I have no idea why anyone would get this over a Sony a6000 unless it was remarkably cheap.

Troll-B-Gone-atsof-24251115-300-259.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Welllllllllll

The only nice surprise was that they kept the body nearly the same dimensions - just deeper. well done canon

4.2 fps was a bit of a let down (after rumors had it at 7fps).

New battery - so hopefully better battery life.

on DCI comments there's a comment that CMOS Hybrid III is 3.6 times faster than the M2 - so we'll have to wait and see how that all works out.

24Mp is a nice upgrade from the old 18Mp sensor.

But this all depends on what canon is charging for it.

the original was around 65,000 to 84,000 Yen depending on the package in Mid summer 2012 Yen's. the M2 was 65,000 Yen in Dec 2013 value.

but just for giggles so people know what they are dealing with, 70,000 Yen at the various times:

June 2012: 880 USD
Dec 2013: 675 USD
Now: 595 USD

People get hung up on the M price without taking into account that the US dollar at the time sucked some pretty giant balls at the time, and I'm sure canon USA wasn't about to eat the currency exchange.

so it's anyone's guess - heck, who knows if they are even going to bring it to NA even.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
lintoni said:
da_guy2 said:

That's a bit hasty, Lintoni. Non-trolls (like me) think this is fairly DOA as well.

I want to be clear: the EOS M will continue to sell. I'm not doubting it as a commercial product, I'm just saying it doesn't interest me as a photographer. I don't have unreasonable expectations for Canon to deliver me a FF mirrorless rig with flawless AF and bags full of native glass.

I just want the following product: Integral EVF + DPAF + 2-3 higher quality small EF-M lenses with USM.

That is not a massive ask.

Canon can absolutely do all of those things, but they either lack the dollars to offer the lenses or the nerve to threaten its DSLR offerings. Both of those constraints will soften over time, I am sure. But for this round, I will pass yet again on Canon's mirrorless offering.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
lintoni said:
da_guy2 said:

That's a bit hasty, Lintoni. Non-trolls (like me) think this is fairly DOA as well.

I want to be clear: the EOS M will continue to sell. I'm not doubting it as a commercial product, I'm just saying it doesn't interest me as a photographer. I don't have unreasonable expectations for Canon to deliver me a FF mirrorless rig with flawless AF and bags full of native glass.

I just want the following product: Integral EVF + DPAF + 2-3 higher quality small EF-M lenses with USM.

That is not a massive ask.

Canon can absolutely do all of those things, but they either lack the dollars to offer the lenses
- A

DPAF and STM work better together, not to mention - why USM anyways? it's not as if the STM lenses dont' focus fast.

that would increase the body size - canon has stated all along, and especially in the last six months that they want to keep the size small or even smaller than what they have currently.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
frugivore said:
Does it have DPAF? If so, I will buy. If not, I won't buy it. Easy decision for me.

Just curious - why?

I suppose my statement is odd without context. I need a camera that also does video with tracking. I have the original M for video, but I find it difficult to use for situations where I am moving with the camera or when my subject is moving. It needs to be a small body so my wife can use it at home with the kids as well. I was about to get the 70D, but postponed my purchase now that these rumors came out. I'm hoping that either the new M or the 760D have DPAF.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that either the new M or the 760D have DPAF.

It doesn't look they do- I see the Hybrid CMOS AF mentioned with all the specs. I think we would have heard by now but we can still be hopeful.

Regarding price - yen vs dollar has fallen but I still suspect Canon to sell this at $799 or higher. I hope I am wrong.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
DPAF and STM work better together, not to mention - why USM anyways? it's not as if the STM lenses dont' focus fast.

Short answer: I don't shoot video, and USM is faster to focus than STM. I miss more shots with STM, so I don't use it.

It's wonderful for some folks, don't get me wrong. It's just not for me.

- A

Upvote 0
I was reading the chrome translated version of digicame-info.com (where the specs surfaced) and the commenters aren't all that thrilled (though the translation makes them sound like Yoda ;D). So I ask: who is this camera for? Oh, and it seems that the hybrid vs dual pixel thing has to do with servo AF, DPAF can't do it for stills. Still think that M's death is imminent.

Upvote 0
I just don't get it. Why would canon spend the $$ to develop DPAF and not use it in their mirrorless camera? The old M has hybrid AF and it sucks even after the firmware upgrade, given the amount of effort canon has put into this system (or lack of) I do not expect the M3 to be much better. I was waiting for this announcement for a while now but I am going to look elsewhere. I really tried to stay loyal to Canon.........

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
jolive3 said:
I was reading the chrome translated version of digicame-info.com (where the specs surfaced) and the commenters aren't all that thrilled (though the translation makes them sound like Yoda ;D). So I ask: who is this camera for?
the casual user that isn't hooked on reading rumors about future releases.

The M/M2 sold well in Japan (and has continued to sell well). canon commented it was female and consumer purchases that were buying it up or showed more interest. Right now in Japan, the M kit is still the second most sold MILC camera body (the E-PL6 which is having a great sale on is #1)

http://dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=jranking

just looking at the lenses can basically identify that the camera is geared to the population that pretty much doesn't follow CR/dpreview/rumor sites/etc.

which is fine. I'm not that interested in low end rebels either, but there is a place for them in canon's ecosystem.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
dadgummit said:
I just don't get it. Why would canon spend the $$ to develop DPAF and not use it in their mirrorless camera?
DPAF is better for touch pull focus for video but not so great for AF for stills and also not so great for AI servo. the processors have to read through 20 million phase detect points on a DPAF sensor and determine focus or focus movement. much easier and quicker when there's only 39 of the little buggers.

also removing the DPAF wiring, extra switch and walls to split the PD in half, etc - makes sense would allow canon to increase the Mp to 24 from 20 without a loss of QE. the lower market seems to be MP driven so this isn't a bad idea from canon's perspective either.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolive3 said:
I was reading the chrome translated version of digicame-info.com (where the specs surfaced) and the commenters aren't all that thrilled (though the translation makes them sound like Yoda ;D). So I ask: who is this camera for? Oh, and it seems that the hybrid vs dual pixel thing has to do with servo AF, DPAF can't do it for stills. Still think that M's death is imminent.

We keep hearing that the M is about to die, and Neuro quoted some recent sales data that it's the #2 mirrorless seller in some markets.

For alllllllll the fanboys/trolls/spec-snobs/etc. -- and god knows there are a bunch of them in this market segment -- the bottom line is that the 'I want the best camera in this segment/style/price point' sort of people represent a very small part of the market. In other words, normal people who don't hang out in photography forums are buying EOS-M bodies.

So to speak to its imminent demise is sheer madness. It just isn't industry leading on paper. It still takes terrific pictures, is well built, and though it requires an adaptor it has a massive ecosystem of lenses to use. EOS M is doing just fine -- it's just not heavily or sexily spec'd/designed/accessorized for enthusiast shooters.

Further, as we've tortured in this forum, the mirrorless market is still sorting itself out, between various camps of shooters with different needs. Some folks are all about mirrorless for simplicity and size, others use mirrorless to easily get access to a better FF sensor without having to buy new glass, and others yet want the entire DSLR functionality/customizability/capabilities in a smaller package.

So, on one hand, Canon is wise to let that market sort itself out. Over that time, the EOS-M becomes a relatively modest investment where they can tinker, try things out, and get a feel for ergonomics of an ILC in such a small form factor.

But on the other hand, Canon is not wise in leaving out enthusiast 'musts' (e.g. an EVF) or proprietary advantages that DSLRs have (e.g. DPAF). Whether that's born out of a desire to keep the cameras cheaper, simpler, or less of a threat to DSLR sales is uncertain, but Canon sure seems to be holding one-and-a-half hands behind its back unnecessarily in this market segment. They have all the tools need to dominate this market segment if they wanted to.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
jolive3 said:

So I ask: who is this camera for?

Good question. Provided it remains easy to adapt Canon EF/EF-S lenses to it, its appeal to people who already have Canon equipment and want it as a back-up or as a lightweight alternative for limited purposes seems clear enough. What I don't get is why it would appeal someone who isn't already in the Canon camp. It will probably cost more than many first rate mirrorless alternatives, some of which have built-in EVFs (before Christmas you could buy a new Sony a6000 for $450!), and all of which have a better array of available lenses that don't need adapters (esp. m43 for those who want as small/light as possible).

Upvote 0