Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

ahsanford said:
Ok, so the firmware is free, but the heat sink change is an opt-in / probably fee-based servicing -- did I get that right?

If so, between the fee (or bother of shipping) potentially being too burdensome or from some folks not hearing/caring about this change (non-4k folks, stills-only folks, etc.), we would then have some nontrivial percentage of units to date without the necessary heat sinks on board.

So what is one to do with two different hardware variants in the field? If the firmware rev is the same, how does one looking for a bargain 5D4 on the resale market know if the hardware change was performed? I'm guessing a BIOS (or whatever a camera has, please forgive my ignorance) wouldn't report out hardware to the heat sink level. So how would you know? Run some demanding video settings and checking the temperature? :eek:

- A

To take it a step further, how about existing new stock at major retailers. How do you order a new 5DMK4 and be sure you are getting one that doesn't need immediately shipped and serviced by Canon?

My guess is there must be a new SKU (5DMK4 revision A vs revision B?). Although the plus side is if you don't care about video the older SKUs may drop in price.

Interested to see how this plays out, if it's even true...

Upvote 0
Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

ahsanford said:
Ok, so the firmware is free, but the heat sink change is an opt-in / probably fee-based servicing -- did I get that right?

If so, between the fee (or bother of shipping) potentially being too burdensome or from some folks not hearing/caring about this change (non-4k folks, stills-only folks, etc.), we would then have some nontrivial percentage of units to date without the necessary heat sinks on board.

So what is one to do with two different hardware variants in the field? If the firmware rev is the same, how does one looking for a bargain 5D4 on the resale market know if the hardware change was performed? I'm guessing a BIOS (or whatever a camera has, please forgive my ignorance) wouldn't report out hardware to the heat sink level. So how would you know? Run some demanding video settings and checking the temperature? :eek:

- A

Correct - rumor has it firmware free, service is charge. What the charge is still TBD.

I would ASSUME it will be marked in some fashion, similar to how Canon marks their refurbished products. It may also enable a menu setting that would be greyed out in other non-upgraded versions. Or they could go with two firmware tracks for upgraded and non-upgraded versions. Will be interesting to see how they handle and what the official procedures are. Panasonic and Sony charge a small fee for these types of things with video features, but they do not typically require service (firmware only).

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

Fatalv said:
ahsanford said:

- A

To take it a step further, how about existing new stock at major retailers. How do you order a new 5DMK4 and be sure you are getting one that doesn't need immediately shipped and serviced by Canon?

My guess is there must be a new SKU (5DMK4 revision A vs revision B?). Although the plus side is if you don't care about video the older SKUs may drop in price.

Interested to see how this plays out, if it's even true...

At this point ....I think we need to remember that this is a rumor from an unknown, new source. :-X

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
ahsanford said:
Okay, so is this list is accurate, it would imply that Canon is making a rather dramatic course correction here: lots of new functionality and they have changed the design of a flagship level product early in its cycle. Further, critically, they are servicing cameras to retrofit them -- even though that happens with odd launch issues (light leak --> internal tape retrofit), this certainly appears to me to be a more significant change.

I could be wrong, but this reads much more like 'People were p---ed about the 5D4 video specs/performance enough to pursue a fairly involved / major change' than it does 'Hey, we figured out a slick way to get you C Log without melting your rig, so here you go, kids!'

...or were they just bumping up the 5D4 because their latest financial analysis said that a 24 MP x 6 fps x 45 AF tilty flippy 6D2 would cannibalize the 5D4 a lot more without a clear bump in video specs. ::) I say that half in jest. As much as I riff on 6D2 cannibalization of 5D4, I still think this announcement is more about appeasing the 5D faithful than paving the way for clearer 5D4 / 6D2 feature/price/prestige segmentation.

- A

So if true: it's also a huge score for the 4K crowd- all of our complaining worked and paid off. For all the naysayers who called the 4K crowd "whiners" and told them to shut up because Canon is profitable and knows what they're doing- this is a little proof that Canon does read the forum boards, that the little 4K crusade worked, and that Canon ultimately decided they agree with us. Even if it's only to protect the 5DIV from being cannibalized by the 6DII, it proves they listened and agreed on what video features were lacking. For those of us who haven't jumped on board with the new 5D, it's added incentive and sales will only increase because of it. Like it or not, these days, video matters.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

Maybe the rumour has been leaked by Canon to see how many people would whine about it online, and if there are too many moaners they can simply cancel the whole thing.

foo said:
jolyonralph said:
But remember, you bought a camera based on the features it had advertised, and not these new features. If you want these new features then it's only fair you pay to get them.

this only works if new cameras with the features already incorporated get a price hike equivalent to the cost of the upgrade - after all if new buyers want these new features then it's only fair that they pay for them as well..

whatever happens, you can be sure that someone will be unhappy with the outcome. probably whoever doesn't get the new features for free...

Why would it be fair that new buyers pay more? You paid for a camera with the features as advertised. If Canon release an updated model tomorrow your camera is still the camera you paid for. A new buyer is fortunate in being able to get a better camera for the same money - but isn't that the whole point - so Canon can sell more of them?

Anyway these kinds of things happen all the time, the people who bought the 7D the day before the 7DII was announced, the people who buy a camera and then 3 months later there's a big price reduction.

Canon could have quite easily released a new model - a Canon 5D Mark IVC - with the new video features enabled - and not made this available to existing owners at all.

Stop complaining and count yourselves lucky - very lucky.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:

- A

This is a real wild guess. Considering the heat sink would be to prevent the camera from overheating with the new video features, ( obviously) if I were canon here's what I'D do:
Release all the video upgrades as a normal firmware update, but program the hotter features to require the presence of a heat sink-certifying chip which canon would instal alongside the heat sink itself. 'hotter' features would be 'frozen' ;)

That doesn't prevent eBay scammers from selling it as "heat sinked" when it's not, but at least the camera would be safe. I suppose Canon could brand the cameras it modifies or something, but anything like that can be forged.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph said:
Why would it be fair that new buyers pay more? You paid for a camera with the features as advertised. If Canon release an updated model tomorrow your camera is still the camera you paid for. A new buyer is fortunate in being able to get a better camera for the same money - but isn't that the whole point - so Canon can sell more of them?

Anyway these kinds of things happen all the time, the people who bought the 7D the day before the 7DII was announced, the people who buy a camera and then 3 months later there's a big price reduction.

Canon could have quite easily released a new model - a Canon 5D Mark IVC - with the new video features enabled - and not made this available to existing owners at all.

Stop complaining and count yourselves lucky - very lucky.

+1

I wrote a post saying the same thing but didn't post it as I figured it might not sit well with a lot in the crowd.

Upvote 0

And what of the 1DX Mark II? I am really hoping it sees a similar firmware update. With two of the same processor found in the 5D Mark IV, is it reasonable to postulate that it could handle the same tasks without the need for additional cooling capacity?

Upvote 0

mikekx102

1DX Mark II =)
Aug 2, 2015
Western Australia

Flyingskiguy said:
And what of the 1DX Mark II? I am really hoping it sees a similar firmware update. With two of the same processor found in the 5D Mark IV, is it reasonable to postulate that it could handle the same tasks without the need for additional cooling capacity?

I would hope for this update on my 1dx mark ii as well.

Upvote 0

If this is true, which I sort of doubt, it will mark a defining mega change at Canon, revealing that they finally get that cellphones are destroying the camera market, and that they actually have to offer, real unique products, that don't compete with cellphones.

I own a 1DXii, 5DSR and A7Rii. If this is true, I will trade in the 5DSR and A7Rii tomorrow for a 5D4.

This is either a watershed event for Canon, or, if it is only a C-log addition, proof that Canon, like Nikon, will not be long for this world.

This would make the 5D4 a true successor to the 5D2, and with an equal 'update' to the 1Dxii, kill Nikon; thus, I find it hard to believe it is true.

Upvote 0

Now we're getting somewhere with this camera. I, like I'm sure a lot of other DSLR shooters, mostly do stills, but I like and want to do video when the opportunity arises. I've been using a cheap Lumix G7 to check out 4K, and now I really like it and don't want to go back. But I also prefer close to a FF sensor, with lenses that I'm familiar with, mostly so my brain doesn't have to keep switching DOF modes. But also because I can't afford new, wider lenses just for video. So if this rumor is true, I'm actually excited about the 5D MKIV again (like I was before it was announced).

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
For the record, there is some precedents to big feature firmware updates from Canon. The EOS 5D Mark II v1.1 and onward as well as the EOS 7D v2.0 come to mind.

In the end, it's just software.

So Canon is releasing software that overheats its camera? And the fix is a hardware retrofit? I think it's fair to say that the camera wasn't originally designed for these new features but Canon is motivated to now provide them... in an unprecedented manner.

Upvote 0
Ripley said:
Canon Rumors said:
For the record, there is some precedents to big feature firmware updates from Canon. The EOS 5D Mark II v1.1 and onward as well as the EOS 7D v2.0 come to mind.

In the end, it's just software.

So Canon is releasing software that overheats its camera? And the fix is a hardware retrofit? I think it's fair to say that the camera wasn't originally designed for these new features but Canon is motivated to now provide them... in an unprecedented manner.

None of the claims made in the rumor are true. It is entirely made up. None of it is real except the CLOG thing posted earlier probably is.

The only thing unprecedented is a rumor this inane being posted on a site that usually vets its sources.

Upvote 0

might actually become useful for video, Sony stuff has just produced so much nicer quality I personally couldn't even be bothered with the 5D4, now if they could just make a version without the special video autofocus but a full extra stop more DR at ISO100.... (even as is, it at least becomes something to look at now, the DR for stills is still disappointing, much improved and yet not quite enough to really single frame all the real world tricky scenes quite as much as one might like even after all of this time, but it's least it's semi-there and with the great lenses and perhaps now actually decent video (although still not sure why they can't give critical basics like live zoomed focusing box or zebras, absurd) but at least it becomes a relevant camera again perhaps at least for those who want a one body semi-does it all and Canon lenses; I had totally written off Canon, but might give them a peek again, see how this turns out, i'd purchased tons of Canon stuff for years but it's been a few years now since I have purchased a single thing from Canon and have even sold some stuff off, only brand I had ever shot for a long, long time)

if true they might finally become relevant again
but nearing April 1st though....

Upvote 0

although 10bit option would sure be useful, the RAW video on 5D3 that is more like 11-12 bit is a HUGE step up from 8bit, 10bits really is a huge deal compared to 8bits

gotta figure a Sony will be out with 10bit internal soon what with the GH5 now arriving with it

so I don't know, of course the GH5 has stills compromises, but I might still stick with old 5D2 plus the newest Sony for non-action stuff and video and end up with better quality than 5D4 for both stills and video, although there are some downsides like two bodies when at times you just rather have one do it all and while EVF in many ways can work better it also takes you more out of the feel of nature and can be a touch of a drag at times

Upvote 0