Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

Regarding the heat issue, I owned a 1DC and that thing got hot. Uncomfortable to hold hot. I saw the temperature warning more than a few times when shooting in 4K. Plus, the camera would have hot spots on the sensor that could not be black balanced out and got noticeably worse as the temperature went up.

The temperature control is a serious engineering problem for Canon and it is a tradeoff between write speeds, processing, and sensor read out.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
eguzowski said:
IT'S ABPUT F'ING TIME! I'm thrilled the competition slapped them in the face...obviously there sales of the 5D IV Joke of a video DLR were tricking and they though, "huh..so now were going to piss off the pros with a 6D mark II with better 4k because the market won't take our bullS___ anymore."

First time this camera has interested me now as a 5D3 owner whom was looking at moving to Sony after 17 years as a Canon Pro (I've already begun switching to Sigma Art Glass with is great...after selling my L Glass)

...still not sure it will save me until they also get a real mirrorless camera in their arsenal.
This is still a rumor because I havent seen anything confirmed from Canon themselves.

Upvote 0
cpreston said:
Regarding the heat issue, I owned a 1DC and that thing got hot. Uncomfortable to hold hot. I saw the temperature warning more than a few times when shooting in 4K. Plus, the camera would have hot spots on the sensor that could not be black balanced out and got noticeably worse as the temperature went up.

The temperature control is a serious engineering problem for Canon and it is a tradeoff between write speeds, processing, and sensor read out.

I've run into overheating on other smaller form-factor cameras when shooting 4K. The more compact systems that engage a fan unit to run 100% of the time (without ramp up/ramp down) are the most reliable, but even those have issues. Sometimes it seems like this is due to the compression codec being used (and processing power required), but other times it's just an annoying general problem to work around.

Having a spare body around does help if this is a problem, but at the $3500 price point that piece of mind does not come cheap. Nor does it help if this is a problem that peaks during the middle of an interview or shot setup.

Do wonder if the 2k/3k style modes they're rumored to be offering will be plagued by the same issue.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
My guess is this is a well crafted hoax to stir the masses to put extra pressure on Canon. April 1 tomorrow.

Jack

My guess this is a well crafted hoax put out by Sony or another Canon competitor to piss off canon customers when they find out it isn't true. Brilliant marketing! Look how many folks on this forum are considering this to be an accurate announcement rather than a rumor from a new and unknown source. As PT Barnum supposedly said, "There's a sucker born every minute..."

Upvote 0
I wanted to buy this camera as soon as the shop gets new stock in mid April. By checking today i noticed that they've got their stock early and it's now available again at quite a good price (€3300.-). But thanks to this rumor i cannot go and buy the camera because if the rumors come out true, i hope canon also announces based on serial number, if a camera needs hv upgrade or not. I am afraid to go and buy the camera now an then in a few weeks need to send it in for an upgrade. And maybe even pay for this.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
risto0 said:
I wanted to buy this camera as soon as the shop gets new stock in mid April. By checking today i noticed that they've got their stock early and it's now available again at quite a good price (€3300.-). But thanks to this rumor i cannot go and buy the camera because if the rumors come out true, i hope canon also announces based on serial number, if a camera needs hv upgrade or not. I am afraid to go and buy the camera now an then in a few weeks need to send it in for an upgrade. And maybe even pay for this.

Well it won't be long to wait to know if this is just a rumor, so definitely a wise decision. Myself, I'm debating 6D2 or 5D4 as a second camera and will also wait. Of course that's after my somewhat disappointing early adopter purchase of the 1DX2.

Jack

Upvote 0
Not being much into cinematography myself (70D here, waiting for 6DII), but I cut some simple videos for our LED screens. Thinking of switching from Director Suite to Davinci Resolve. Found out Blackmagic cameras. With their price ranging from 990 USD - 2990 USD I start to wonder, why would anyone use DSLR instead? Just because as a photographer, you have DSLR always available? It will be also interesting to see, how their new Ursa mini Pro stands against Canon C100/C300, with the cca 6K USD cost ... Just curious ...

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
-pekr- said:
Not being much into cinematography myself (70D here, waiting for 6DII), but I cut some simple videos for our LED screens. Thinking of switching from Director Suite to Davinci Resolve. Found out Blackmagic cameras. With their price ranging from 990 USD - 2990 USD I start to wonder, why would anyone use DSLR instead? Just because as a photographer, you have DSLR always available? It will be also interesting to see, how their new Ursa mini Pro stands against Canon C100/C300, with the cca 6K USD cost ... Just curious ...

Blackmagic make amazingly specced cameras that are very reasonably priced. The biggest downside is that in practice they tend not to be very reliable. So much so that some rental houses would only loan people an Ursa Mini if they signed a disclaimer saying that they took full responsibility if the thing didn't work properly.

It's kinda the opposite of Canon's slightly unexciting offerings that typically work very well. For most professional uses dull and dependable beats unreliable every time. And having earned that reputation over several years, its gonna be hard for Blackmagic to lose it.

That said, with the C100ii needing a 4k update Sony pretty much rules the entry level cinema camera market for now with the FS5 and until the big price drop the C300ii was poor value compared to the FS7

Oh, and the blackmagic cameras are also woeful in low light.

Upvote 0
Based on the new Magic Lantern firmware available for the 5D3 (which is only "proof of concept" at the moment), maybe this really will be likely. The 5D4 should be able to handle all of those specs and more. Patiently waiting for NAB...

Maybe Canon is finally trying to beat the firmware developers by releasing products to market, or adding features after initial release? If so, that would be a great change for consumers.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
bsbeamer said:
Based on the new Magic Lantern firmware available for the 5D3 (which is only "proof of concept" at the moment), maybe this really will be likely. The 5D4 should be able to handle all of those specs and more. Patiently waiting for NAB...

Maybe Canon is finally trying to beat the firmware developers by releasing products to market, or adding features after initial release? If so, that would be a great change for consumers.

Just seen the announcement and seems its a go: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.0
Its also announced on April 1st... #rolleyes..

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
bsbeamer said:

except if you actually read what ML has / does.. there's alot of problems with it including the fact that you can't liveview preview this - only half / quadrant of the image appears,etc.

IMO, the problem with canon wasn't that hte sensor stream couldn't handle 4K - it was the fact that a) the DSP / CODEC couldn't (ML uses raw/mjpeg encoding as well) and the livestream / hdmi pipeline was 1080p

nothing that ML is doing suggests otherwise.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Denisas Pupka said:
Happy to see rumors like this, but I'm little pessimistic about this. I wouldn't be surprised if this is rather rumors for upcoming 1DC mark II.

it would make more sense really to see all that on a 1DC Mark II - where the battery / heat sinking can support it. But to be honest, I see the Mark II as being 8K not 4K

I can't see canon deciding to so drastically change the Mark IV. Unless they are creating a 5DC and allowing people to upgrade their 5D Mark IV"s to 5DC's in a similar manner to what nikon used to do with the "s" models.

as i've suggested to some of the video nuts in here - why would canon do this for a market that wouldn't use a DSLR for it? some of them couldn't even understand the question. a DSLR has the most horrible video ergonomics of ILC's for video. MILC's are much more suited and available - so why a DSLR? and why a DSLR over a MILC or a video ILC?

I guess we'll see in two weeks if this was true or just a well played hoax.

Upvote 0
Policar said:
Ripley said:
Canon Rumors said:
For the record, there is some precedents to big feature firmware updates from Canon. The EOS 5D Mark II v1.1 and onward as well as the EOS 7D v2.0 come to mind.

In the end, it's just software.

So Canon is releasing software that overheats its camera? And the fix is a hardware retrofit? I think it's fair to say that the camera wasn't originally designed for these new features but Canon is motivated to now provide them... in an unprecedented manner.

None of the claims made in the rumor are true. It is entirely made up. None of it is real except the CLOG thing posted earlier probably is.

The only thing unprecedented is a rumor this inane being posted on a site that usually vets its sources.

Not saying this is true, but if you believe the initial C-Log rumor, then you should also believe in the service update as it is from the same source in the same initial post.

With that being said, I highly doubt that the heatsink would be so marginal to where it was taken over the edge from simply adding C-Log which suggests other features that take much more processing and therefore creates much more heat are on there way.

Upvote 0