EOS R viewfinder issue

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I wonder how much is this a hardware limitation and how much it could be improved through a firmware upgrade...
I can't imagine any scenario where Canon would not want this to perform as well as possible, so, my guess, this is hardware, and the latest FW update is about as good as it can possibly get.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Great discussion folks. I just came back from my Yosemite trip, which included shooting landscapes to portraits of my family with landscape background, then back to landscapes. I really like my EOS R as much as if not more than my 5D3. During the portrait sessions, I had to keep half tapping the shutter button to keep tracking the subject while the preview took its time to disappear and ready for the next shot. I am on the same page as others mentioned here, I rather have a snappy viewfinder than 2 card slot. For last 10 years I had only 1 instance where my card failed that too on the Mammoth Mountain Summit due to extreme temp. 2 card slot is a must for folks who do wedding, sports and journalism, etc. For a hobbyist, one works just fine.

I did notice one thing however. Battery life. I have the camera set to "switch to viewfinder when eye is near the cup" and liveview when not. I had 2 batteries on me, on Day 2 of my trip I did some (may 35-55 shots) including some long exposures using a fully charged LPE6N battery. Day 3, the battery completely drained out after lets say 1.5- 2 .5 hours of use. I was expecting it to last a bit longer. Do any of you feel EOS R eats through the batteries way faster than lets say 5D3 or 5D4 does?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Do any of you feel EOS R eats through the batteries way faster than lets say 5D3 or 5D4 does?
No doubt it does (depending on the liveview use etc), probably 20% faster at a rough guess from my experience. Was it particularly cold on your Yosemite trip? I notice that tends to drain batteries generally.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not saying that Sny hasn't got this sorted, but that YouTube clip is not definitive as the camera had no memory card. This may well affect how the camera processes (or not) the images and thereby affect lagging.
But I agree, this is the biggest downside of my EOS R - I can live with the single card, but viewfinder lag is a problem.
Not to mention the burst speed on that Sony is 10fps. The Sony A9 is capable of 60 fps in live feed. Obviously there would be no jerkyness at that frame rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0