Flip-screen Sample Shots!

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

I have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Just for you Romanr74: I can't give you a "one-in-a-million" shot, but I can give you a one-in-one-hundred-trillion shot. I took this just for you. Taken with my 5D mark III and EF 24-70 f/2.8L II looking down at my 70D with flip touch screen and Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD as I triggered the shot making full use of the 70D's DPAF and triggering the shutter on screen with my left big toe.

While I failed to nail (No pun intended) focus with my 5D Mark III I would like you to take notice of the sharpness and detail provided by the 70D and Tamron lens. It takes such a light touch to trigger AF and the shutter with the touch screen. Much lighter than the shutter button and I didn't have to program a time delay either.

Taken in the spirit of this thread... the premise of which I think is ridiculous. ;D

Attachments

• Toe shot 1.jpg
    Toe shot 1.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 736
  • Toe shot 2.jpg
    Toe shot 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 375
Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Re: Flip

CanonFanBoy said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

Um, romanr74? Where are your one-in-a-million shots taken without an articulating touch screen? I'd love to see those. I think everyone here would. Could you start a thread for your one-in-a-million shots? We'd all be thankful to see them even if we are not worthy.

sweet. first the swivel screen fans claim how it allows for awesome pictures you couldn't take otherwise and then the front completely collapses on the lack of proof. and then you try to turn it around when the claim was yours and not mine...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

romanr74 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

Um, romanr74? Where are your one-in-a-million shots taken without an articulating touch screen? I'd love to see those. I think everyone here would. Could you start a thread for your one-in-a-million shots? We'd all be thankful to see them even if we are not worthy.

sweet. first the swivel screen fans claim how it allows for awesome pictures you couldn't take otherwise and then the front completely collapses on the lack of proof. and then you try to turn it around when the claim was yours and not mine...

Bless your heart (Anyone from the south knows what that is code for). I have never said the screen allows for photos one couldn't take otherwise, but I am sure that is true for some. I see you've fallen into your old habit of putting words in other people's mouths.

However, let's see your "one-in-a-million shots". The only person I have read saying anything like that is you, Romanr74.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

romanr74 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I can't give you a "one-in-a-million" shot, but I can give you a one-in-one-hundred-trillion shot. I took this just for you. Taken with my 5D mark III and EF 24-70 f/2.8L II...

the one-in-one-hundred-trillion shot is taken wity your 5d? without swivel screen?

Bless your heart. Your comprehension skills are poor aren't they? If you are going to troll Romanr74, you've got to try and keep up.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

romanr74 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
We'd all be thankful ...

Oh and did you notice how you fell back into your pattern of talking for everybody...

I still think we would all be thankful if you'd start a thread featuring your one-in-a-million shots Romanr74. It IS you expecting that of others isn't it? Isn't it you who conflated things into that? Didn't you take somebody saying an articulating touch screen allows for someone to get a shot they otherwise could not get, into meaning they would get that "one-in-a-million" shot?

Who's speaking for others?

I just want to see one, just one, of YOUR "one-in-a-million shots". Bless your heart.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
A bee on a unique Gazania - Taken with the 60D at Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens. I leaned over a guardrail and used the articulating screen. There are about 400,000 flowering species and about 20,000 species of bees.

So doing the math...

(1/400,000 x 1/20,000) = 1/8,000,000,000

One-in-eight-billion is much lower probability than one-in-a-million. So for those who wanted proof I guess its proven now that an articulating screen can easily help someone to capture a one-in-a-million image. ::)

Attachments

• Bee on Gazania.jpg
    Bee on Gazania.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scyrene said:
neuroanatomist said:
Three different cameras, which benefited from an articulating screen?

Nice, especially the last one. But the more pertinent question would be, how wet/dirty did you get/how much did your knees ache after you took them? :p

Thanks! Nothing muddy/dirty for the first two other than my hiking shoes (and that was from walking through the forest). The first one I squatted down and held the S95 in one hand at ground level to focus, then angled it up a little to shoot. The second was at 400mm on crop, so the apparent low angle is mostly geometry. The third was in my yard, we had a pair of mantis visit, I took a whole series with MP-E65 + MT-24EX and with the 100L ambient. For the posted shot, the only thing that got wet was the bottom of the camera which was resting on the ground, I could see the LCD just fine from where I needed to squat to reach the controls on the camera.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
StudentOfLight said:
A bee on a unique Gazania - Taken with the 60D at Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens. I leaned over a guardrail and used the articulating screen. There are about 400,000 flowering species and about 20,000 species of bees.

So doing the math...

One-in-eight-billion is much lower probability than one-in-a-million. So for those who wanted proof I guess its proven now that an articulating screen can easily help someone to capture a one-in-a-million image. ::)

good one! thank you.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland

CanonFanBoy said:
romanr74 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Bless your heart (Anyone from the south knows what that is code for). I have never said the screen allows for photos one couldn't take otherwise, but I am sure that is true for some. I see you've fallen into your old habit of putting words in other people's mouths.

However, let's see your "one-in-a-million shots". The only person I have read saying anything like that is you, Romanr74.

i shared sample shots on other occasions to other topics where i tryed to help expressing usefulness of a technology... i cannot help here, because i still do not see a need for swivel screens, after days of seeking examples to prove me wrong...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
StudentOfLight said:

So doing the math...

Fantastic shot StudentOfLight! Absolutely beautiful!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
StudentOfLight said:

So doing the math...

Nice shot, and lovely reds....... you 'ol myth buster you ;D

Upvote 0