Flowers and other Flora

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dpc, npdien.
Ok who is winning here? ;D
So many beautiful shots, but 'here's one I just took on my way home' is rubbing salt in the wounds of those of us who just don't seem to be able to get shots half as good even when we set up to take a shot. :'( (Ok it may just be me.)
Please share a few details like lens, camera, settings, flash etc.
Thanks for sharing so many terrific shots.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc, npdien.
So many beautiful shots, but 'here's one I just took on my way home' is rubbing salt in the wounds of those of us who just don't seem to be able to get shots half as good even when we set up to take a shot. :'( (Ok it may just be me.)

Cheers, Graham.

No contest on my part. I'm just inspired to try things. By the way, Graham, what's your view of the 7DMII. I see it listed amongst your equipment. I have a 7D and am thinking of upgrading it to the Mark II but am a bit put off by the many negative comments I'm seeing on the web. I know that's no way to make judgements but...

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc, npdien.

Cheers, Graham.
+1

Lovely pictures, all. Especially dpc and npdein.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2014
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc, npdien.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham

Contest is something I never think about when posting my photos here. Dpc and I follow clearly different styles and take photos of different flowers and plants. As such, there are no legitimate grounds for any comparison. I use Canon 6D camera and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. I always use manual mode. I mainly use f8 to get critical sharpness and then adjust the speed and ISO to the ambient light. Hope this information will help you.

Cheers, Dien

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2014
rpt said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc, npdien.

Cheers, Graham.
+1

Lovely pictures, all. Especially dpc and npdein.
Thanks, Rpt.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2014
28368730970_25c0e572cf_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Dien.
I realise that you are not competing, hence the smiley face, it was just that you both have been posting such great shots. Thanks for the extra info regarding settings.

Cheers, Graham.

npdien said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc, npdien.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham

Contest is something I never think about when posting my photos here. Dpc and I follow clearly different styles and take photos of different flowers and plants. As such, there are no legitimate grounds for any comparison. I use Canon 6D camera and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. I always use manual mode. I mainly use f8 to get critical sharpness and then adjust the speed and ISO to the ambient light. Hope this information will help you.

Cheers, Dien

Upvote 0
An old shot of a tulip taken with a T2i + 100mmL Macro mounted on a tripod (2 second shutter delay, remote shutter release, mirror lockup, manual focus): ISO 100; 0ev; f/4.5. I often like to provide sharper focus for only a small portion of a plant, as is obviously the case here. Therefore I frequently use a wider aperture setting.

Attachments

• _MG_7520.jpg
    _MG_7520.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dpc.
I like the improved usability of the 7D Mark II, the speed with which you can change AF cases (spot, zone, etc in case 'cases' is the wrong description) using the lever is great, the extra AF coverage is great, the AF is definitely an improvement over my 7D, though tracking is still not giving me what I had hoped for even with the iTR AF, I think I still have some "getting to grips with the settings and technique" to do.
I think the noise is much nicer more like film grain. I have had problems adjusting to the 1 Series style viewfinder information layout, metering scale up the side instead of across the bottom, especially as they still have the exposure compensation bar along the bottom. I have lost a few shots from forgetting that it has moved, especially as I still have 40D 5D and 7D bodies with it in the bottom instead of up the side. However I do like that you get the flash exposure bar (when I remember to look there)!

I often wonder if it was getting this viewfinder layout that led to the Mini 1D label that was often applied to the 7DII before we knew better.
All in all I'm very happy with the camera, though I'm probably not the person you really want giving you buying advice! :eek: ;D

Cheers, Graham.

dpc said:
No contest on my part. I'm just inspired to try things. By the way, Graham, what's your view of the 7DMII. I see it listed amongst your equipment. I have a 7D and am thinking of upgrading it to the Mark II but am a bit put off by the many negative comments I'm seeing on the web. I know that's no way to make judgements but...

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi dpc.
I like the improved usability of the 7D Mark II, the speed with which you can change AF cases (spot, zone, etc in case 'cases' is the wrong description) using the lever is great, the extra AF coverage is great, the AF is definitely an improvement over my 7D, though tracking is still not giving me what I had hoped for even with the iTR AF, I think I still have some "getting to grips with the settings and technique" to do.
I think the noise is much nicer more like film grain. I have had problems adjusting to the 1 Series style viewfinder information layout, metering scale up the side instead of across the bottom, especially as they still have the exposure compensation bar along the bottom. I have lost a few shots from forgetting that it has moved, especially as I still have 40D 5D and 7D bodies with it in the bottom instead of up the side. However I do like that you get the flash exposure bar (when I remember to look there)!

I often wonder if it was getting this viewfinder layout that led to the Mini 1D label that was often applied to the 7DII before we knew better.
All in all I'm very happy with the camera, though I'm probably not the person you really want giving you buying advice! :eek: ;D

Cheers, Graham.

dpc said:

Thanks for sharing your views, Graham. I appreciate it. I keep waffling back and forth between spending money on lenses or on updated camera bodies. I have both a 7D and 5DMII that I've been thinking of updating but I keep thinking that I like the pictures that come out of the cameras I have. I was on the cusp of buying a 7DMII this spring but at the last minute sprang for a Sigma 150-600mm contemporary instead and haven't regretted my choice for a second. I may spring for more lenses instead of new cameras again but I do wish there were more autofocus points on the 5DMII. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
dpc said:
An old shot of a tulip taken with a T2i + 100mmL Macro mounted on a tripod (2 second shutter delay, remote shutter release, mirror lockup, manual focus): ISO 100; 0ev; f/4.5. I often like to provide sharper focus for only a small portion of a plant, as is obviously the case here. Therefore I frequently use a wider aperture setting.

Lovely shot, dpc :)

Upvote 0
Click said:
dpc said:

Lovely shot, dpc :)

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0