Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>New Sunday Feature</strong>

Every Sunday I am going to post the craziest “rumor” I’m sent from the previous week for your enjoyment.</p>
<p>I will say about crazy rumors, there was one rumor I was told about that I dismissed. I thought it was loony, and that was the 8-15 f/4L. I was never told fisheye and didn’t think fisheye.</p>
<p><strong>Spec List! </strong>

The person writing in stressed this wasn’t the 5D Mark III and to expect an announcement in the next few weeks.<strong> </strong></p>
<ul>
<li>- New small body FF</li>
<li>- Pro AF (45 point same as Eos 1D MKIV)</li>
<li>- 16.7 MP</li>
<li>- 6 FPS (booster with extra batterygrip up to 9fps)</li>
<li>- ISO 100-12800 (L50 / H102400)</li>
<li>- Single CF slot</li>
<li>- Video as Eos 7D</li>
<li>- Msrp $ 4,399</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

B

Bob Howland

Is this rumor from the same person who said there would be a 15MP 1D coming really soon? I would hope that (1) there are two CF slots and the camera can write to both simultaneously, (2) the video is much better than the 7D, as good, in fact, as the XF300/305 camcorders and better in low light and (3) the price is closer to $3399.

If this is the new pro body configuration for the 5DMkIII, do you think that Keith Cooper (Northlight Images) will like it?

"Next few weeks"? Let's hope so!

Oh yes, one more thing, 16.7MP is exactly what you would expect if pixels were being binned 8:1 to create a 1920 x 1080 video stream.

On second thought, no it isn't. The aspect ratios are different.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

olav said:
Stone said:
I like this rumor very much except for: small body, single card slot & no mention of weather sealing. Am I the only one that prefers a larger body?
No, you aren't! I used the 60d last week and have to say its size is pretty much borderline!

Did you use the 60D with or without the battery pack? With my 5D and 40D, the difference is dramatic with the battery pack. My EOS-3 film camera is/was the same way.

Upvote 0
I don't find it "CRAZY". I actually think that Canon should have introduced something similar a long time ago....but it doesn't mean that they will. I'm not talking about the exact specs, but about a small decent FF with very good AF and fast fps, weather sealing of course (nothing mentioned about it, but for this money it should have it) and of course I consider "small body" = 5D / EOS 3 Size, not 60d size or smth. Someone mentioned that it sounds like Nikon. And it sure does. And if Nikon will make such a thing and Canon won't during next year (it looks like this is the way it's going) - I will start moving to Nikon (and not only me). Canon really starts to suck at delivering customers the best.

Upvote 0
M

martijn

"New Sunday Feature Every Sunday I am going to post the craziest “rumor” I’m sent from the previous week for your enjoyment."

Are you sure you want to do that? The problem with a feature like that is that people will start manufacturing 'crazy' rumors just to get on this site...then again, perhaps some are already doing just that ;-) ....

Upvote 0
F

Flake

I think the give away here is the battery grip giving an increase in fps - that really is a Nikon trick to try to rival Canons superior performance. Nikon can't even manage to do it in full 14 bit, they need to drop to 12 bit to get to that, of course the many biased reviewers leap on this and compare the two as if they are like for like when they know they're not! As with the video this is a function of the Expeed image processor not being as advanced as the Digic IV.

At 16.7 MP the nearest comparator would have been the 50D which managed 6.3 fps - there was no increase from the addition of a battery grip.

Canons reasoning (excuse) behind crippling the 5D MkII autofocus was that they could not fit a larger AF unit into a XXD type body with a FF sensor, if that is true then this rumour would also fall into the same trap.

I think I agree with others that this is most likely a spec for the Nikon D800, and if so it will leave Nikon yet again well behind the field in terms of MP, Most Nikon users seem to think they're going to get the 24MP Sony sensor to rival the 5D MkII (a generation late!). 16.7MP is insufficient to meet the size demanded by the stock agencies without interpolation.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

justicend said:
Canon FF camera 16 MP ??? No way , I don't think they will downgrade the resolution on FF camera.

I'm not so sure. For one thing, Canon reduced the pixel count in the G11 P&S. Second, I see the new model as emphasizing video much more than in the past. To get some idea about what they're doing with their video cameras, select "Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor" here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m41#Features

That reads like something that Nikon would write about why the D3s is better than the 1DMk4.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Flake said:
I think the give away here is the battery grip giving an increase in fps - that really is a Nikon trick to try to rival Canons superior performance.

Really? Check out the specs for the Canon EOS-1V - "Continuous up to 3.5 frames per second (up to 10 frames per second with BP-E2/NP-E2)." Several of its predecessors, like the EOS-3 and EOS-1n, also had increased frame rates with the battery grip.

Upvote 0
Bob Howland said:
olav said:
Stone said:
I like this rumor very much except for: small body, single card slot & no mention of weather sealing. Am I the only one that prefers a larger body?
No, you aren't! I used the 60d last week and have to say its size is pretty much borderline!

Did you use the 60D with or without the battery pack? With my 5D and 40D, the difference is dramatic with the battery pack. My EOS-3 film camera is/was the same way.
I used it without the battery pack. With it attached it should be fine although i had the impression (i didn't measure it) that the grip ( the camera's grip) is a bit smaller than the older xxD's grip.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Flake said:
Well you're really having to scrape the barrel to dissagree ! Every single camera you have quoted is a film unit, hardly the same at all.

Please explain why that makes a difference. You suggested that a higher frame rate enabled by a battery grip was 'a Nikon trick' and I pointed out the specifications of a Canon camera that has the same feature. It seems pretty relevant to the discussion, and since it's a camera that is currently in production, it's hardly 'scraping the barrel'.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.