Hoya Clear filter HD or EVO for 85mm f/1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on buying 85mm f/1.2 and I'd like to protect that piece of glass by adding a clear filter.

The price difference between the two above mentioned is $30 i.e. EVO is almost double the price of HD.
Do you thing EVO is worth that extra money?

Does anybody use Clear filter on 85mm? I guess IQ will not be impacted, at least not to the bear eye.
And one more not to open a new topic. Those who use 5D III, does 85 focus faster on it than on 5D II?

Jul 21, 2010
I've got a B+W MRC UV on mine to protect that big and beautiful front element.

If you plan to shoot outdoors wide open (portraits, etc.), you might also consider a 3-stop ND - sometimes even 1/8000 s isn't enough.

There will likely be no difference in AF speed on the 5DIII vs. 5DII. I do notice it focuses faster on my 1D X, but that's because the 1-series bodies use a higher voltage battery which drives the AF motor faster.

Upvote 0
Schruminator said:
While I haven't used either filter, if you're already paying $2000 for the lens, I'd think an extra $30 (or even $100) for a filter is a no brainer. There's no good reason to buy the best glass out there and then slap on a mediocre filter.

That's completely true, but up to recently Hoya HD was the top class Clear glass filter from Hoya.
I wondered how much better this new one is. On the other hand, it might even be worse that's why I ask here. :)

neuroanatomist said:
If you plan to shoot outdoors wide open (portraits, etc.), you might also consider a 3-stop ND - sometimes even 1/8000 s isn't enough.

I'll use Hoya ND filters from 35mm L so it should be fine, thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.