I'm done - I have all the lenses I need

mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
I'm 'done' - I have all the lenses cameras I 'need'. Now I want a 70-300L for travel ::) ::) ::)
Congrats and I hear great things about the 70-300L. Haven't used one but I bet it and the 24-70 f/4 IS would make a great travel pair.

Thanks, my revised travel kit will most likely consist of my 5D Mk III (without the grip), 17-40L, 24-105L, 35f/2 or 50f/1.8 MkI and the (to be purchased) 70-300L. I've been using this type of configuration with my 5D Mk II for a while when traveling, except the 70-300 which at the moment is a Tamron VC USD. This fits in the camera compartment of my Lowepro Fastpack 250 and leaves a little room for other stuff :)

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
Thanks, my revised travel kit will most likely consist of my 5D Mk III (without the grip), 17-40L, 24-105L, 35f/2 or 50f/1.8 MkI and the (to be purchased) 70-300L. I've been using this type of configuration with my 5D Mk II for a while when traveling, except the 70-300 which at the moment is a Tamron VC USD. This fits in the camera compartment of my Lowepro Fastpack 250 and leaves a little room for other stuff :)
I have tinkered with my travel kit over the years, but now it's usually:

1. 5DIII + 24 1.4 II and/or 50 1.2; or
2. 5DIII + 24-70 2.8II; or
3. EOS M + 22 and/or 18-55IS

I remove my 5DIII grip as well, and I find that my travels rarely if ever require anything beyond 50 or 70mm and I've wasted lots of room and comfort carrying around my 135 2 (since sold), 70-200 4 IS (also sold), or 70-200 2.8 IS II over the years. I'll throw in my 85 1.2 II if I plan on taking lots of portraits (e.g. of family at Christmas), but that's the longest focal length I ever seem to need. I guess I like to get lots of context in my travel photos and find that I use 24mm 90% of the time for general shots and 50mm for most other shots, including people. I'm sure other destinations would really benefit from telephoto lengths, but this is what works for me.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dslrdummy said:
For me it's all about wants not need. So doubtless it will continue. :-[
Somehow, that's my feeling, too :-\
And somehow, I'm glad that I don't have too much money to spend.
So all decisions all carefully considered.
But I also love to dream about these big whites...

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
dslrdummy said:
For me it's all about wants not need. So doubtless it will continue. :-[
Somehow, that's my feeling, too :-\
And somehow, I'm glad that I don't have too much money to spend.
So all decisions all carefully considered.
But I also love to dream about these big whites...
Keep dreaming about the big whites, they really are amazing and worth the wait and effort to save up for them. As for needs/wants, I bet the following lenses would cover 95% of my shooting - with the rest just being a luxury:

24-70 2.8 II
70-200 2.8 IS II
50 1.2 or 85 1.2 II (not sure which)
300 2.8 IS II
1.4x & 2x Extenders III

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I have tinkered with my travel kit over the years, but now it's usually:

1. 5DIII + 24 1.4 II and/or 50 1.2; or
2. 5DIII + 24-70 2.8II; or
3. EOS M + 22 and/or 18-55IS

I remove my 5DIII grip as well, and I find that my travels rarely if ever require anything beyond 50 or 70mm and I've wasted lots of room and comfort carrying around my 135 2 (since sold), 70-200 4 IS (also sold), or 70-200 2.8 IS II over the years. I'll throw in my 85 1.2 II if I plan on taking lots of portraits (e.g. of family at Christmas), but that's the longest focal length I ever seem to need. I guess I like to get lots of context in my travel photos and find that I use 24mm 90% of the time for general shots and 50mm for most other shots, including people. I'm sure other destinations would really benefit from telephoto lengths, but this is what works for me.

I agree that for most travels, it's the shorter focal lengths that are most important, and a 2.8 zoom is the most versatile if you carry just one lens. I like being able to go extra wide or have more reach though.

In my vacation I often do a fast paced cross-country trip (ie fly-drive) and the flexibility of a zoom that includes a near-to-normal focal length is a must when there's no chance (or it would not be wise -dust/moisture) to change lenses. Hence there's some overlap in my zoom ranges. This is why I always carry the:

-17-40L for landscape/cityscape/sights. It goes wide and does the 'normal' 40 mm.
-24-105L for general purpose. I like the extended range - the 105 mm long end helps for subjects that are a little further away and I don't have much chance to get / or want to get too close to. And it's a 'normal' zoom.
-70-300 variable aperture lens for nature/tame wildlife, and of course for the compressed perspective. It does 70 mm too, which is quite usable as 'normal' (mildly tele) focal length.
-35f/2 or 50f/1.8: All my travel zooms are relatively 'slow' at a maximum aperture of f/4. Most of my photography when I travel is in daylight anyway, and I don't mind having plenty of DOF in most of my photos when I travel. Still, to make sure I have something to go to if I need a large aperture, the little 35 or 50 mm lens is there if I need it. I decide which of the two to take before I head off.

I am trying to get my mind around the 70-300 though; last year when I traveled through Turkey I didn't use it once. Though this time around we're going to Japan and I almost certainly want to have a good quality zoom with sufficient reach (that fits in my bag). Hence the 'L'

Of course I'm trying to justify this, I mean normally I don't really need such a lens as I also have the 70-200L IS f/2.8II, 1.4x II and a 100-400L. Yes- it's GAS I know.

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
Of course I'm trying to justify this, I mean normally I don't really need such a lens as I also have the 70-200L IS f/2.8II, 1.4x II and a 100-400L. Yes- it's GAS I know.
It's definitely hard to restrain yourself, even with the overlap. Then again, certain focal lengths call to us - if you like at my gear, you'll see that I have slight affinity for 24mm (4 lenses!):
TS-E 24mm - sharpest 24mm, plus T/S for architecture & landscapes
24 1.4 II - fastest 24mm - killer environmental portrait, event, & travel lens + great landscape lens
24-70 II - starts at 24mm - my go to landscape lens when landscape is not my primary reason for shooting, plus my bread & butter event/commercial shoot lens
16-35 II - not great at 24mm, but covers it as needed.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
It's definitely hard to restrain yourself, even with the overlap. Then again, certain focal lengths call to us - if you like at my gear, you'll see that I have slight affinity for 24mm (4 lenses!):
TS-E 24mm - sharpest 24mm, plus T/S for architecture & landscapes
24 1.4 II - fastest 24mm - killer environmental portrait, event, & travel lens + great landscape lens
24-70 II - starts at 24mm - my go to landscape lens when landscape is not my primary reason for shooting, plus my bread & butter event/commercial shoot lens
16-35 II - not great at 24mm, but covers it as needed.

Wide angle is good! I've been progressing towards wide angle, too because I like the dramatic effect. And the 17-40 gets a lot of camera-time when I travel ;)

As for the 70-300, it's the versatility and usefulness of the focal length range of this lens that gets my attention although I don't particularly like the design (zoom ring at the front) or the way it looks (white and fat with a slim zoom barrel). It's a different beast than my other long zooms. I figure its compact size and promise of good image quality means it will go into my camera bag more often, even when I'm not traveling. Is that enough justification? My Tamron 70-300 sits in my travel bag permanently so I get very little use out of it... ::)

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
I figure its compact size and promise of good image quality means it will go into my camera bag more often, even when I'm not traveling. Is that enough justification?
Only you can answer that question, but one thing I've asked myself is - what else could I use $1,000+ for? That could pay for a great trip to use the gear I have, or maybe a studio rental, or savings account for the 14-24 or other future product. The other question is, how much will I use the lens (etc.). If it's less than 10 days a year, I'm probably better off renting it.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
I figure its compact size and promise of good image quality means it will go into my camera bag more often, even when I'm not traveling. Is that enough justification?
Only you can answer that question, but one thing I've asked myself is - what else could I use $1,000+ for? That could pay for a great trip to use the gear I have, or maybe a studio rental, or savings account for the 14-24 or other future product. The other question is, how much will I use the lens (etc.). If it's less than 10 days a year, I'm probably better off renting it.

Nooooo not the voice of reason!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D ;)

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Eldar said:
Sporgon said:
J.R. said:
Eldar said:
Zeiss is releasing two more Otus lenses, 85/1.4 in 2014, followed by a "wide angel"/1.4. Having seen the exceptional performance from the 55/1.4, these may be very difficult to resist ... ::)

LOL ... we are really waiting for that ... made by Zeiss! ;D ;D

I've known a few wide angels, but I prefer the thin ones. More likely to be made in Budapest than by Zeiss ;)

Eehhh ... That´s the thing about language, especially when it´s not your native tounge. There are always double meanings and room for interpretation ::)

Norway (and maybe also Sweden) had a Honda called Jazz. In all other countries they were called Honda Fitta. Which for most people is OK. But for us it translates to Honda The Cunt, so they renamed it Jazz ;)

I speak 5 languages, so I have had my share of experience with 'translations' - not to mention spelling errors throughout the years. I read internet (ie international!) forums very much appreciating people who are using English (or another language that is not their first language)... as I've had to do no numerous occasions too.

In Australia it's the Honda Jazz also... and (as I also have a marketing degree) - Jazz has more positive connotations as a word / car name than 'Fitta' for our culture too (though Fitta is not an offensive word).

My 2 cents worth on that! As to the actual topic of 'enough lenses'... I keep telling myself that there is only 1 more lens I 'need' - the Canon 50mm fast prime (hopefully IS) USM.... :D

Paul

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
pj1974 said:
Eldar said:
Sporgon said:
J.R. said:
Eldar said:
Zeiss is releasing two more Otus lenses, 85/1.4 in 2014, followed by a "wide angel"/1.4. Having seen the exceptional performance from the 55/1.4, these may be very difficult to resist ... ::)

LOL ... we are really waiting for that ... made by Zeiss! ;D ;D

I've known a few wide angels, but I prefer the thin ones. More likely to be made in Budapest than by Zeiss ;)

Eehhh ... That´s the thing about language, especially when it´s not your native tounge. There are always double meanings and room for interpretation ::)

Norway (and maybe also Sweden) had a Honda called Jazz. In all other countries they were called Honda Fitta. Which for most people is OK. But for us it translates to Honda The Cunt, so they renamed it Jazz ;)

I speak 5 languages...

Dang! I was proud for speaking two! Even my Spanish is only comparable to a 2nd grader so it's more like 1 1/2. :D

Back to lenses, I have had the "I'm done (with what I need)" talk several times, even after splurging on a 7D which at the time I didn't need, I told my sweet wife that I was probably done. Last week I went in on the 100 macro deal and now we're about to pull the trigger on the 5Diii and 24L. I'm looking forward to my, "I'm done" post, but taking it one day at a time, it is safe to say; "I'm done, for today". lol

-Tabor

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mrsfotografie said:
Niki said:
mrsfotografie said:
I'm 'done' - I have all the lenses cameras I 'need'. Now I want a 70-300L for travel ::) ::) ::)

nice…and it's only 1-8-2014
Do you>

Yes, there's still time to sell a few things and save up some money before my next trip :p
Do you ? ::)

I copy your signature: 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 7D (to be sold?), Sony NEX-6 and a nice range of lenses.

There is a 5D Mark II wishing to be upgraded to 5D Mark III too... ;D

Upvote 0
tron said:
mrsfotografie said:
Niki said:
mrsfotografie said:

nice…and it's only 1-8-2014
Do you>

Yes, there's still time to sell a few things and save up some money before my next trip :p
Do you ? ::)

I copy your signature: 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 7D (to be sold?), Sony NEX-6 and a nice range of lenses.

There is a 5D Mark II wishing to be upgraded to 5D Mark III too... ;D

Hahaha, well not really, the Mk II has a little bit different application for me. It has a precision matte focusing screen so is ideal for use with shallow DOF. I bought the Mk III to replace the 7D.

So stuff that needs to be sold is the 7D and the Tamron 70-300 VC USD. Considering the amount of pictures I take when traveling vs days of use, the lens purchase can probably be justified. Still, it's always good not to rush things ;)

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
It's interesting to see this topic again, I've bought and sold so much, my signature has almost completely changed :D
I know and it's painful when I look at a lot of the pros on CPN and elsewhere who only shoot with 3 or 4 lenses. I just can't seem to figure out what I want to shoot. I love wildlife and landscape work, make money from architecture work (hence this wise investment ;)), but love portraiture, macro, and other shooting as well. I suppose there's worse problems to have, but this is a mighty expensive problem!

Upvote 0