Parents: What are/were your most used lenses for your small kids?

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
Maybe some of you are also parents and can help out. What are/were your most used lenses for your small kids, say 1-3 years old?

I didn't think about kids at all when I bought my previous lenses, so I'm planning to change that for any future purchases. What I should look out for in the future, what should go on my watch list? What's practical?

I have the RF 24-105 f4L, RF 15-35 2.8L, and the RF 100-500L. They're great and cover a lot of range. The 100-500L can do nicely isolated portraits, but even 100mm is long indoors (Europe, small rooms) and only f4.5@100mm.
So I mainly use the RF 24-105 F4L, but my kids images often aren't that much better or different to those my wife takes with her iPhone (at ~24-48mm). I feel like I maybe I should look out for a faster lens, but I'm not really sure.

I appreciate any input you might have.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
I bought my first DSLR (a T1i/500D) in 2009 after my first kid started walking and the AF in my P&S couldn’t keep up. I skipped the kit lens and got the EF-S 17-55/2.8 instead, along with the 85/1.8.

I soon migrated to FF. When my kids were younger, I used mostly the 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 II, and the 85/1.2 II for portraits.

Now that they’re older, portraits are mostly the family with a backdrop, so any lens works (f/8-11 is a great equalizer). But for events (concerts, plays, etc.) I will be using the 24-105/2.8 (or 28-70/2 for low light) and 100-300/2.8. For field events I’ll put the 1.4x behind the 100-300/2.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
I mostly use the RF28mm pancake lens nowadays. The 50STM and 85STM take some consideration, with the small european rooms, like you mention.

When they are practicing on the (balance) bikes outdoors , the 100-500 shines.
Thanks for the response, it's good to hear my 100-500 may get useful again soon.
I soon migrated to FF. When my kids were younger, I used mostly the 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 II, and the 85/1.2 II for portraits.

Now that they’re older, portraits are mostly the family with a backdrop, so any lens works (f/8-11 is a great equalizer). But for events (concerts, plays, etc.) I will be using the 24-105/2.8 (or 28-70/2 for low light) and 100-300/2.8. For field events I’ll put the 1.4x behind the 100-300/2.8.
Overall, I think fast zoom lenses are best for kids. They move quick, and when indoors the wider the aperture the better.
Thank you, that's all very useful information. Fast zooms are expensive, but I think the RF 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 could be next on my list. No concerts or plays yet, but time flies.

I did get myself the budget 50/1.8 recently, going to experiment a bit and see if I can get some nice shots with that before going big.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Overall, I think fast zoom lenses are best for kids. They move quick, and when indoors the wider the aperture the better. I prefer a zoom for flexible framing. With EF, I had the 35L, 85L, 135L and 200/2.8, but I found myself preferring the flexibility of zooms for framing.
I did sort of the same as you, except my youngs are a few year younger and I already had a nifty fifty when the first was born. Absolutely gorgeous baby photos. As long as I could keep up with their pace, 20-30mm on APS-C and 35-50mm on fullframe made some of the best images I've taken. When I added an 85/1.8 my second child was already a couple of years old. Figured the reach would let me isolate kids from an otherwise distracting background. Worked well as long as I could run fast enough. Then I added a 200mm f/2.8L and lost it. Got very few but very nice images, so I switched to a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and haven't looked back since. I also haven't been running around nearly as much. But the images aren't as good as when I was running around.

Wide with large aperture for up close and personal. Slightly longer for as long as your legs can let you run circles around them. Long zoom for when they're doing sports or running around playing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
The size of the sensor, never mattered much when I took pictures of my children, but my behavior counted a lot. If your child is 3 years old and you take pictures without the child knowing than almost anything with a decent speed will do. But if you interact with your child and you hide your face behind a black R3 monster with 24-105 with shade on you will get a reaction.

For small children and close combat I usually used a white EOS M3 and via a canonwhite hand painted cheap Chinese adapter the EF 40mm pancake (also in white) as the Japanese had them for the EOS Kiss models.

There is not so much choice for a white EOS R model at the moment but…

If you want to do portraits of a group of kids you will need a fast wide angle zoom, but the most important piece of equipment in that case is a PEZ dispenser. That little candy dispenser fits perfectly in the hotshoe of your EOS and suddenly you have all eyes open and focusing on one point.

Another thought, your lenses will be around with you for some time and kids do grow fast. So if you invest in glass think a little about the few month when they are small, but think a lot about the time when they start to do sports for real.

My kids are now 26, 16 and 12 they did surfing, windsurfing, fencing, soccer, basketball, karate and now mainly ice hockey. It took me a lot of time to learn how to take good pictures depending on the sport. Unfortunately, it took me even more time to learn that amateur gear requires a lot of luck to get anything worth to keep and leaves you in the end with plenty of documentary material but very few pictures that stand up to your own standards.

Before I started to frequent Canon Rumors I had one or two decent lenses. Here I infected with GAS but in hindsight, I’m sad that I did not start this 10 years earlier. I have perfect pictures of the two younger children but almost nothing from the oldest. The hassle to explain to your spouse why you again spent 2.5 Grand on some used old piece of Canon glass fades to zero when said spouse looks at a picture taken of your child in the moment of confidence, triumph or surprise in a quality that shouts front cover. So I treat any Money spent on perfect family memories as a wise investment.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I tend to use the 1200mm, with an extender or two, to not violate the restraining order. That way I can shoot my kids a few zip codes away and everyone will continue to be happy.

On a slightly more serious note, without having any known children: Kids are all over the place, and if you want to catch a bit of that motion and commotion I would aim for a wide angle zoom. F-stop! the f stop and shallow focus depth or priiiiity bokeh! You want to catch moments of joy, not perfection. Something worth remembering and chit-chat about when you're old and sitting in a rocking chair drooling.

Upvote 0