Looking for a secondary pocket camera - opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2011
Hey everyone, I currently have a 5d3 that's my main camera for about 80% of my shooting. I bike and hike a lot and I'm looking for something more pocketable that I can take with me that doesn't require bulkiness of a dslr but isn't sacrificing image quality too much.

I've been looking through the choices and I cannot decide on what to do and I was just curious what others on here have researched or leaned on as their secondary camera.

So far I'm pretty sold on the new sony DSC-rx100

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html

But i'm not sure if I should wait to see what canon introduces in the mirrorless market - or would I just be in the same situation with a mirrorless camera?

I looked a lot at the nex-7, V1 and they seem nice, but still kinda bulky and I'm sure at that point I'd rather just have my 5d.

Would love to hear some opinions or ideas.

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2010
I would skip the mirrorless option - there is no way an interchangeable lens camera will be as small as the Sony you linked. I have a Canon PowerShot S100, which I really like, it's about the same size as the Sony, and it fits perfectly in a pants pocket. I got the S100 for the high sensor size to camera size ratio (among the highest in the P&S category) with RAW capability - the new Sony has the highest ratio yet, shoots RAW, and I'm strongly considering picking one up for that reason.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.