Milky Way

Keith love your stuff, where is this Bodie? Looks like you light painted the structures, in that vein here is my attempt to light paint the foreground for the MW. My self critic is that the light was too cool, but it was the only one I had with me.

Again from the Oregon coast around Hug Point rokinon 14mm probably at f 2.8, the rock looks like a seal to me...

Attachments

• hug point MW painted rocks-26.jpg
    hug point MW painted rocks-26.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
applecider said:
Keith love your stuff, where is this Bodie? Looks like you light painted the structures, in that vein here is my attempt to light paint the foreground for the MW. My self critic is that the light was too cool, but it was the only one I had with me.

Again from the Oregon coast around Hug Point rokinon 14mm probably at f 2.8, the rock looks like a seal to me...

That's a really nice capture!
Bodie is a State Historic Park on the east side of the Sierras in California just north of Mono Lake. A few times a year they have a "Ghost Walk" that is guided tours and story telling. This is the only time the park is open till 10 pm instead of 6 pm. Spring and late summer is the only time there is enough dark after sunset before they chase us out. This gives about 45 minutes to an hour to shoot! There are about 50 photographers trying to do the same thing, so it's really crazy. 9 out of 10 shots will be messed up by stray light from other photographers and people on the tours. When there is a group of us trying to shoot the same thing, we are courteous and coordinate our painting. It's really amazing when a group bans together for the common good and help each other with key and fill light painting.
I use a 300 lumen LED "HALO" flashlight that I modified with a warming filter and a diffuser that eliminates hot spots. I have a tube that I can put on the end to eliminate a lot of foreground burnout. I also have a floodlight for far away painting. It's taken several attempts to get it dialed in.

This is Bodie during the Ghost Walk. Most of the buildings that are visible are actually in process of light painting!

Bodie Ghost Walk 2016 Bodie & Milky Way 4395 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

This shot is a coordinated painting where I'm filling light for another photographer to my right.

Bodie Ghost Walk 2016 churck back 420 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Amaroc_GL said:
From Nuuk, West Greenland. This is the most of the Milky way we get. It won't be until February to April were its possible to get it to arch across the night sky. Provided there isn't much aurora borealis to disturb too much.
Nice picture! Welcome to the forum!

Upvote 0
Thank you guys. I've been lurking around since 2010 or 2011. Signed up a week ago to read more about the 5d4.
Looking forward to have it my hands :)

Either way heres an Milkyway pic from Ilulissat. March 2015. This was taken around 3am. Dawn is already started in the high arctic.

Composite picture of 6 vertical frames taken with 24mm 1.4L II with 5d3.

Attachments

• _BR_1428-Edit-2.jpg
    _BR_1428-Edit-2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0