My very BAD Experience with CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
dak723 said:
vmartello said:
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but have been following it for a very long time. Since I'm unable to start a new thread, I'm using this one to ask some question/advice as it relates to canon's service.

I recently sent in my Canon 100-400 Mark I lens for service (out of warranty) as it is having intermittent issues "Fault 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens is faulty".

I received a ridiculous quote to fix the lens. $844! They wanted to replace the following :BAND, ZOOM, POWER DIAPHRAGM UNIT, LENS ASS'Y, IMAGE STABILIZER, FOCUSING ASS'Y, USM.

I should mention that this lens has always been well cared for. Never dropped, transported and stored in padded camera bag.

I guess my question is, does $844 sound reasonable to you? Considering I can purchase the sigma 100-400 new with 7 year warranty for a little more, it doesn't make sense to fix it in my mind.

I find it hard to believe that Canon needs to replace all those parts when the lens still works intermittently, it focuses, the IS works, I can take still take clear, sharp photos, but it's just not reliable, as it will work for a couple of shots, then will give the error. Turning it off and on sometimes clears the error, and a gentle shake of the lens seems to get it working again.

Any advice? Can anyone recommend another another lens repair service other than canon? I'm near Toronto.

Thanks,
Vic

Sorry to hear of your problem, Vic. But it seems to me you are overreacting.

All logic aside, overreacting or not, that is how I feel at the moment. Not looking for sympathy, and yes, I just want to complain.

Upvote 0
I've had a similar experience with cps. $650 estimate (was told several major assemblies needed to be replaced on my 6D). Took it to an independent service center and they found one bad contact on a ribbon cable ($12 part). That was over a year ago, camera is still working perfectly. I'd go the indie route. Good thing about canon is the indies can get parts from Canon. I understand that's not always the case with other companies.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
vmartello said:
I was ready to pay half of what the estimate came back at. That's also what I told canon, but they didn't offer to see if they could do anything with the repair price.

I wonder…have you tried this approach at the grocery store when purchasing a liter of milk? Or maybe try the converse…go to your boss and demand that your pay be doubled, because that's what you're ready to earn.

Good luck!

Actually, this has worked out well for me in the past. Not grocery store... hmm but I should try :), but Henry's (camera shop), and electronic stores, best buy ect, furniture, appliances, and of course vehicle purchases. If you never ask for a discount, you'll NEVER get one that's for sure.

I feel like this thread has reached the end of it's usefulness. I do appreciate all the comments and as I mentioned, I'm going to look at all my options, rent some gear and see what works best for me.

thanks,
Vic

Upvote 0
peterzuehlke said:
I've had a similar experience with cps. $650 estimate (was told several major assemblies needed to be replaced on my 6D). Took it to an independent service center and they found one bad contact on a ribbon cable ($12 part). That was over a year ago, camera is still working perfectly. I'd go the indie route. Good thing about canon is the indies can get parts from Canon. I understand that's not always the case with other companies.

thank you.. Will do.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
vmartello said:
neuroanatomist said:
vmartello said:
I was ready to pay half of what the estimate came back at. That's also what I told canon, but they didn't offer to see if they could do anything with the repair price.

I wonder…have you tried this approach at the grocery store when purchasing a liter of milk? Or maybe try the converse…go to your boss and demand that your pay be doubled, because that's what you're ready to earn.

Good luck!

Actually, this has worked out well for me in the past. Not grocery store... hmm but I should try :), but Henry's (camera shop), and electronic stores, best buy ect, furniture, appliances, and of course vehicle purchases. If you never ask for a discount, you'll NEVER get one that's for sure.

I feel like this thread has reached the end of it's usefulness. I do appreciate all the comments and as I mentioned, I'm going to look at all my options, rent some gear and see what works best for me.

thanks,
Vic

If you are getting 50% discounts as a matter of course, you must have impressive negotiating skills. But somehow I doubt that's the case.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
vmartello said:
neuroanatomist said:
vmartello said:

Good luck!

thanks,
Vic

If you are getting 50% discounts as a matter of course, you must have impressive negotiating skills. But somehow I doubt that's the case.

50% would make him the Alpha-negotiator..... but to be fair, I have also asked for and gotten discounts from Henrys, Best Buy, car dealers, and even from a grocery store.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.