Canon, give us shutter close at lens removal!

Nov 12, 2016
On the R5, and I assume others, I love that Canon gives the option to close the shutter when the camera is off, therefore protecting it from dust. But lately, especially if I'm out with the camera and only have one lens, I've been setting it to just hold the shutter open when the camera is off. This saves cycles on the shutter as I turn the camera on and off to save the battery.

But inevitably, I forget to turn this back on when I get home and swap lenses, leading to a minor panic when I see the unprotected sensor.

Now, maybe the days of this feature even being relevant as things go to electronic only shutter are numbered. But why can't they just have a mode, make it one of the selections in the menu, where the camera leaves the shutter open at camera off, but as soon as it senses the lens getting detached from the body, then it closes the shutter? No more needless shutter cycles at on/off, and the sensor is still protected from dust when the lens is off.

Even with the camera off, when you detach a lens, you can hear the camera doing something, I think it runs the sensor through a self cleaning. So clearly even with the camera off it is still somewhat functional, probably enough that it could close the shutter. To me this would make more sense than closing the shutter every time the camera is off.

Reactions: 1 user

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I hear the argument regarding dust, but is it really relevant when so many people use dust pump zooms ?
When I wasn’t using any zooms at all my sensors stayed (virtually) clear from dust, despite changing lenses constantly and in some pretty poor conditions, but once I started using variable length zooms again my sensors became dusty pretty quickly.
Also which is more vulnerable, the shutter or the sensor ? The shutter blades on these modern cameras are incredibly thin and delicate. If something undesirable was going to come into contact with that area I’d rather it was the sensor than the shutter TBH.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I hear the argument regarding dust, but is it really relevant when so many people use dust pump zooms ?
When I wasn’t using any zooms at all my sensors stayed (virtually) clear from dust, despite changing lenses constantly and in some pretty poor conditions, but once I started using variable length zooms again my sensors became dusty pretty quickly.
Also which is more vulnerable, the shutter or the sensor ? The shutter blades on these modern cameras are incredibly thin and delicate. If something undesirable was going to come into contact with that area I’d rather it was the sensor than the shutter TBH.
I'm a bit surprised...
The EF 100-400 L is almost always on my 5 DIV and often on the R. This means about 7 years on the 5 D. Never had to clean its sensor, not once. This combo has seen lots of beaches, even some deserts, and the sensor stayed clean. Maybe the 100-400 has better air-filtration???
Anyway, even an internally zooming lens has moving (aka air-moving!) lens groups. And LensRentals' Roger once wrote that they didn't notice more dust related issues with pumping zooms than with the other ones...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I'm a bit surprised...
The EF 100-400 L is almost always on my 5 DIV and often on the R. This means about 7 years on the 5 D. Never had to clean its sensor, not once. This combo has seen lots of beaches, even some deserts, and the sensor stayed clean. Maybe the 100-400 has better air-filtration???
Anyway, even an internally zooming lens has moving (aka air-moving!) lens groups. And LensRentals' Roger once wrote that they didn't notice more dust related issues with pumping zooms than with the other ones...
I don’t clear my sensors either, apart from the odd blow, but in my case I’ve noticed that whereas previously if I did a check at f/22 into the sky I only had the odd - in fact one dust blob IIRC, since using zooms more, it’s covered. Have you tried doing a test at the smallest possible aperture and see what it looks like ?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I didn't say anything about protecting the sensor from physical objects coming in contact with it. As far as I'm concerned if you're letting anything actually get anywhere close to either the shutter or the sensor, you need to be more careful, and nothing is going to help you.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don’t clear my sensors either, apart from the odd blow, but in my case I’ve noticed that whereas previously if I did a check at f/22 into the sky I only had the odd - in fact one dust blob IIRC, since using zooms more, it’s covered. Have you tried doing a test at the smallest possible aperture and see what it looks like ?
Yes, I did, since I'm often using F 11 or even F 16. No issues. I used my blower (Nitecore BB21) only once or twice on the R. That's all.
My Leica M is unfortunately a different story, no sensor cleaning function. I have to clean its sensor very often, dry or even wet...
PS: I do clean lenses and lenscaps very often, and the inside of what used to be the mirror housing with wet "mini-swabs", mostly to collect bayonet abrasion respectively wear.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Yes, I did, since I'm often using F 11 or even F 16. No issues. I used my blower (Nitecore BB21) only once or twice on the R. That's all.
My Leica M is unfortunately a different story, no sensor cleaning function. I have to clean its sensor very often, dry or even wet...
PS: I do clean lenses and lenscaps very often, and the inside of what used to be the mirror housing with wet "mini-swabs", mostly to collect bayonet abrasion respectively wear.
I’ll check mine again after doing a few switches on and off (ultrasonic cleaning) with the camera on a solid surface. I do tend to just leave my 5DSs switched on all the time.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I’ll check mine again after doing a few switches on and off (ultrasonic cleaning) with the camera on a solid surface. I do tend to just leave my 5DSs switched on all the time.
I switch mine off very often, also in order to benefit from the sensor-cleaning function.
PS: I was maybe unclear. I do check ACTUAL PICTURES taken at F 11-16, NOT white wall pictures.If I don't see dust at 200% magnification, I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have never cleaned a sensor ever and never ever seen dust on any of mine. I use "dust-pumping" zooms and put extenders on and off through out the day outdoors.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I have never cleaned a sensor ever and never ever seen dust on any of mine. I use "dust-pumping" zooms and put extenders on and off through out the day outdoors.
So the consensus is that dust isn’t an issue due to the efficiency of the Canon ultrasonic cleaning, yet people claim they want the shutter to close when changing or removing the lens to avoid dust, and my point was and still is, the shutter is probably more delicate than the sensor, so is it really such a good move from Canon in doing this ?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So the consensus is that dust isn’t an issue due to the efficiency of the Canon ultrasonic cleaning, yet people claim they want the shutter to close when changing or removing the lens to avoid dust, and my point was and still is, the shutter is probably more delicate than the sensor, so is it really such a good move from Canon in doing this ?
My RP had a lot of issues with spots on the sensor till I switched to using the filter adapter. After that I rarely needed to clean the sensor. My R5 sensor only needed a clean after 3 years.

I virtually stopped changing lenses in the field with my R8 (RF28STM for the win), I haven’t needed to clean that yet. When I’m using f/11 for macro when the bugs return I might need to clean it :)

Upvote 0
I occasionally see dirt blobs on my sensor with the 800 f/11 (naturally even more apparent with an extender) but they usually clear themselves after a little while.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That seems to be a consensus among those using cameras where the shutter closes at power off. I’ve never had to manually clean my R3. OTOH, the sensor of my R8 is exposed with the power off, and it needs manual cleaning pretty often relative to the usage (which is infrequent, for me, but typically during travel with lots of lens changes). So yes, I think it really is a good move by Canon, and I wish my R8 closed the shutter at power off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
That seems to be a consensus among those using cameras where the shutter closes at power off. I’ve never had to manually clean my R3. OTOH, the sensor of my R8 is exposed with the power off, and it needs manual cleaning pretty often relative to the usage (which is infrequent, for me, but typically during travel with lots of lens changes). So yes, I think it really is a good move by Canon, and I wish my R8 closed the shutter at power off.
My RP also seemed to collect a lot of dust spots, but could the fact that they remain on the sensor be due to inferior ultrasonic cleaning on the budget cameras relative to more expensive models ? If removing the lens is exposing the sensor to dust that’s in the air what’s happening to all this dust that enters the body but doesn’t make it onto the sensor whilst the lens is off ? Surely when you put a lens back on this dust is still floating around in the camera body and when you switch on not only does the shutter open but the sensor is charged too.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
For me I don't mind having the shutter close when the camera shuts off and I also have cleaning enabled at power down and on. On the Canon R3 I only use ES (electronic shutter) so for me the only time I use the shutter is when I turn the camera ON/OFF. I suspect I will also stick with ES on the upcoming R5 Mk2 and R1 bodies as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My RP also seemed to collect a lot of dust spots, but could the fact that they remain on the sensor be due to inferior ultrasonic cleaning on the budget cameras relative to more expensive models ? If removing the lens is exposing the sensor to dust that’s in the air what’s happening to all this dust that enters the body but doesn’t make it onto the sensor whilst the lens is off ? Surely when you put a lens back on this dust is still floating around in the camera body and when you switch on not only does the shutter open but the sensor is charged too.
Possibly. But I think worrying about damage to the shutter curtain is like worrying about getting struck by lightning. Simple precaution prevents it, and don’t stick your finger into the camera mount just like you wouldn’t stick your finger in a light socket.

Upvote 0