Canon, give us shutter close at lens removal!

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Possibly. But I think worrying about damage to the shutter curtain is like worrying about getting struck by lightning. Simple precaution prevents it, and don’t stick your finger into the camera mount just like you wouldn’t stick your finger in a light socket.
Very wise advice. Just FYI it is even possible to damage the shutter protector on the NikonZ9 which is in theory more robust than a mechanical shutter. Key point: be careful with equipment!!

Nikon Z9 damage to sensor shield

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I hear the argument regarding dust, but is it really relevant when so many people use dust pump zooms ?
When I wasn’t using any zooms at all my sensors stayed (virtually) clear from dust, despite changing lenses constantly and in some pretty poor conditions, but once I started using variable length zooms again my sensors became dusty pretty quickly.
Also which is more vulnerable, the shutter or the sensor ? The shutter blades on these modern cameras are incredibly thin and delicate. If something undesirable was going to come into contact with that area I’d rather it was the sensor than the shutter TBH.
Lensrentals wrote an article on his topic and basically said that zooms might attract slightly more dust, but this was essentially a myth. I believe they said their worst lens that gathered dust was a prime.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'll start seeing them with the 2xTC on the 800 f/9. I always power off before changing.
Same, although it's taken me a long time to reprogramme myself as it was never an issue with DSLRs (aka I got lazy). Even where there is a bit of dirt, it's rarely fatal to an image - on busier backgrounds it's less visible, and on plain ones where it stands out it's often easy to remove with the clone tool.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Same, although it's taken me a long time to reprogramme myself as it was never an issue with DSLRs (aka I got lazy). Even where there is a bit of dirt, it's rarely fatal to an image - on busier backgrounds it's less visible, and on plain ones where it stands out it's often easy to remove with the clone tool.
And LR allows you to copy/paste the clone locations between images, I had to do that for a rental 1dx3, the smooth background behind the dragonflies showed the dozens of spots quite clearly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0