Patent: Lots of optical formula lens patents for the RF mount

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
What should I get? RF15-35 2.8L IS or wait even longer for RF14-40 4L? >_<
Depends on how much you are in a hurry. Personally, I'd prefer less fast (ultra) wide angle lenses since in most cases you need to go for higher f-stop numbers anyway to get a sufficient depth of field (landscapes, cityscapes). So, mostly you carry extra weight, need extra space and pay extra money for nothing useful. Big, fast lenses make more sense IMO in the 50 mm and upward focal distance range, e.g. for portrait. That's why I always preferred my Zeiss Distagon 18mm f/3.5 over the higher regarded Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, since the 18mm is relatively light and compact. And I nearly never shoot that one completely wide open.

Reactions: dominic_siu

BeenThere

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 4, 2012
Right?

I was stoked when I discovered the F4.0 UWA patent embodiments.

Check out some of the EF primes though we discovered on our site. There's some eye watering amazing primes we found today too. I assume CR is going to re-post those as well.
Those ultra wide, large aperture lenses should work better in a short flange RF version. Why EF?

Tom W

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2012
The 17-70 would make a nice kit for the RP, and maybe even the R, especially given the 4K movie crop.
I'm liking a couple of those F/4 ultrawide zooms, although I've used the 16-35 f/4 EF on my RP and like it.

Andy Westwood

I'm New Here
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I don't see any IS glass in that bunch so may be IBIS is coming to the next R bodies.

A nice selection of lenses that said, I was wondering when a kit type zoom lens would appear for the RP, the 17-70 would tick that box.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
14-40 sounds awesome. f2,8 would be even more awesome
I used the 14/2.8 and 20-35/2.8, then 17-35/2.8, then 16-35/2.8. We "needed" the f/2.8 1) to make the AF sensors work, 2) to illuminate the viewfinder, and 3) to be hand-holdable in dim situations. With the electronic sensors in the RF cameras, (1) and (3) are no longer problems. With the electronic viewfinder, (2) is also no longer a problem. And the classic reason, to get your subject to pop out with limited DOF, doesn't really apply that much in this focal range anyway.

Personally I've been moving from the f/2.8 "trinity zooms" since 2011 or so with the 24-105/4 IS L. I'd far rather a 14-40/4 than a 16-35/2.8 if size and sharpness were comperable. I'm also thinking at the wide end, rather than a 70-200/2.8, a 70-300/4 or even 100-300/4 would be a better fit with the RF 24-105. In other words, a new high-quality f/4 trinity stretching from 14 to 300, that also has substantial overlap between lenses (lessening the chance you have the wrong lens).

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I hope they make some small lenses
I agree and I am sure it'll come. The RP fits perfectly to the original ML promise of a light and compact gear, so it deserves small RF lenses. This is the FF market gap that Sony opened up by supersizing their A7 line with every new generation. Now, Canon can move in. I wouldn't wonder if Sony dared to even implement a collapsable drone system into their next generation XXXXL A7's to serve their fanboyz :poop:

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Glass is where it's at. If Canon can continue to produce stunning lenses then I am definitely not switching to Sony to push shadows 6 stops vs 5 stops or to track an eye with 87% success versus 78% success.

But if they don't get their read out speeds up I just might add a Fuji for video ;)

Reactions: Dantana

LSXPhotog

EOS RP
Apr 2, 2015
www.diossiphotography.com
It looks like they're spit-balling some design options for wide angles at various price points. That 14-40 f/4L sounds right up my alley...but I am already planning on the 15-35 f/2.8 if we get some more serious bodies. I personally can't justify another RF purchase until I have at least a second body in my bag that can use it.

Reactions: sanj

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
A lens like 14-40 f/4 is to be expecting given that Nikon already have a 14-30 f/4 out. Canon seem to be taken full advantage of the shorter flange distance of the RF-mount, which is a great thing!

wanako

I'm New Here
Aug 1, 2018
I will admit, the 14-40 f/4 and the 17-70 have me the most interested. That UWA lens is going to be incredible and to have a standard kit zoom with such a massive range will be amazing.

Franklyok

I'm New Here
Oct 24, 2018
why so many designs / patents ? Patent everything and release"1%" Is this how canon is going to beat competition ? feels like patent trolls.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Am I correct that none of these Patents includes IS?
So Canon is going the IBIS only way here?

If so I will not step into the R system before I see a decent priced body with IBIS.