Review - Canon EF 200 f/2L IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig there's a Lens Gallery thread for the 200/2.0 that you may want to link to.

The image quality, one f-stop advantage, 5-stop of IS and ability to separate subject from background makes this my favorite lens.

My complaint is that Canon did not make this a f/1.8 like the discontinued 200/1.8 (1989-2004).

Some may argue that 5-stop of IS would make up for the 1/3rd f-stop light loss but IS does not allow more light in to stop subject motion.

Upvote 0

eli72

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2012
If you have one of these lenses (or even any of the other Canon L long telephotos), I highly recommend the lens caps made by Don Zeck (http://www.donzecklenscap.com/) over the bulky "bag" lens caps that Canon provides with them. They are easy to install and remove, and will protect the front element in case you decide that you don't want to use the lens shade.
I've been very happy with this lens, and I also find it very useful in shooting pictures of my grandson because I can get farther away from him so he's not as conscious of my taking his picture.
1Ds Mk III, 1/640 @f3.2, ISO 250

Attachments

• 284F6752a_180ppi.jpg
    284F6752a_180ppi.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 4,474
Upvote 0
*sigh* One of the lenses that I can only dream of holding one day, much less owning.

@eli72: Those look pretty nice, and quite reasonably priced as well. I bet you could make one using any of the home 3-D printers as well, although that's a lot more work. Cost a lot more if you don't already have the printer, for sure.

Upvote 0

eli72

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
eli72 said:
If you have one of these lenses (or even any of the other Canon L long telephotos)...the bulky "bag" lens caps that Canon provides with them.

The MkII superteles have a redesigned nylon cap with a velcro closure that's much easier to install and remove.

Haven't made that big a step yet!

Upvote 0
J

Joseph M

dpollitt said:
I know these reviews weren't supposed to be "super technical" and more practical. But including a coffee mug for a comparison of lenses in the lineup? Not my cup of tea ::)

Please, keep them a bit more technical!

I'm pretty sure the lens mug was there to give the viewers an idea on how it the reviewed lens looks like against the 70-200 f4L (which is the lens mug).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.