Canon R100 Review

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In the better late than never category we have a new review from our friends at photographyblog.com on the Canon RF R100. Essentially the TL;DR is that Canon made this camera solely to compete on price. Nothing else. As with the Canon EF camera bodies in this general price range, we see cost cutting throughout

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Aug 10, 2021
What you say and quoted seem very reasonable for me.
I would like to note what you touched on about the webcam use. Some people probably would use one camera solely for a webcam. It's about half of the RP's current price, unless I'm mistaken.
Also, to be honest, I learned to use cameras without a screen at all and don't use the touch feature on R5 much. For someone's first camera or a camera to could take risks like dropping in water, it might be pretty good with a RF 50mm f/1.8.
An older used camera might be better though?
As you said $200 can be a lot of money for some people...

Upvote 0
Even the M100 had a touchscreen.

If the goal is to get smartphone users to buy their first conventional camera, the lack of a touchscreen is a big deal.
it is.

Canon also has one of the best touchscreen UI experiences on ILC's. so it's a weird omisssion.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I think the one and only reason for this camera is to say "we have something beyond $500" to just get as much people (with tight budget) into the R ILC system.

If smartphone users want to get into ILC because they think their smartphone cam is the limiting factor AND touch is needed/wanted, my guess would be that those have the extra $200 for the R50.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think the one and only reason for this camera is to say "we have something beyond $500" to just get as much people (with tight budget) into the R ILC system.

If smartphone users want to get into ILC...
Agreed. I wonder who Canon views as the main target market for the R100 – smartphone users, or current users of an older Canon entry-level DSLR who need/want a new camera?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon also has one of the best touchscreen UI experiences on ILC's. so it's a weird omisssion.
While I agree, I personally usually just use the dials/buttons on my R3. Canon's ergonomics are such that the placement of the physical controls are such that I find that easier and faster than using the touchscreen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
While I agree, I personally usually just use the dials/buttons on my R3. Canon's ergonomics are such that the placement of the physical controls are such that I find that easier and faster than using the touchscreen.
yes, but we're coming from a DSLR / ILC camera experience.

these types of uesrs are coming from a smartphone experience.
The M200 for instance, aws more tailored to those people, so it's curious.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Except the R100 barely has any physical controls. It's not an R3. In 2023 you have to use the 4-way controller to move the focus point is weird.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Except the R100 barely has any physical controls. It's not an R3. In 2023 you have to use the 4-way controller to move the focus point is weird.
Thanks, I really thought I paid $6000 for an R100. Oops. :rolleyes:

My comment was directed to the general Canon touchscreen UI, not the R100 specifically, which is why I quoted just that bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
It seems silly to say spend an extra $200 unless money is tight.
Tight budgets are the sole reason this camera exists.
Spend an extra $2K and get an R6 II.
Makes about as much sense.

Very often people buy a cheap camera not because they don't have more money but simply because they think it's good enough for them.

Upvote 0
Horses for courses. I didn’t have a touch screen until my 5Div and survived ok. Sure times have changed including smart phone interface and phone camera quality.

At a recent family get together, my cousin proudly told me that they bought his son a EOS camera. Wasn’t able to tell me more and I didn’t push… no judgement. His son thought my r5+rf24-105/4 was big and heavy. He did like the eye-af though.

Canon knows more about their low end customer buying reasons than we do.

Upvote 0
Judging by the BCN Retail "50 best sellers" list, the Japanese like inexpensive cameras. It will be interesting to see how the R100 does on that list.
I also suspect that for the longest of times, the double lens kits were sold in bulk in Japan because they could split the kit up and sell it piecemeal for a profit on ebay, etc.

not sure if they can do that now, i haven't checked prices in the longest of times.

Upvote 0