RF 24-240mm: No full frame cover at 24mm

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Could you specify what isn't Canon? Are you saying that you don't believe this effect is caused by the lens?
I am not interested in this conversation. However, the proposed cause of this issue sounds way too opportunistic for a risk averse enterprise. Read : Canon.

Last edited:

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
i'm curious of one thing though: has anyone tried mounting the lens and then twisting back a bit so that it doesn't get recognized by the camera anymore so that it doesn't apply any corrections? that would be the simples and most objective test i can think of, eliminating any raw converters and such..

Kit.

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 25, 2011
A lot of assumptions that do not make a lot of sense or aren’t typical of Canon. Sorry. This is not Canon.
Is G7X II Canon? Because its lens works in the same way (not that Sony RX100V lens is any different).

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Is G7X II Canon? Because its lens works in the same way (not that Sony RX100V lens is any different).
small sensor fixed lens point and shoot vs an R camera with a FF lens attached. ok. i see a logic here.

SteveC

M50 & T6i
Sep 3, 2019
I am not interested in this conversation. However, the proposed cause of this issue sounds way too opportunistic for a risk averse enterprise. Read : Canon.
For someone "not interested in this conversation" you've been devoting a fair amount of effort to telling participants in it that they are wrong. Though you've not followed through and supplied anything to support that. Maybe that's what you're not interested in doing.

Don't misunderstand me; if I am demonstrably wrong, I want to know it. But I'm not going to conclude I was wrong on the basis of some guy on the internet who isn't interested in backing up an assertion that I am wrong.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
DPR photo shows some extreme vignetting at 24mm. Other people's shots do not show it.

The logical thing to do is to wait until other (and more trusted) sources weigh in.

Reactions: YuengLinger

ethanz

1DX II
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I don't really see a problem here. Sure it is unfortunate to some of us with L lenses that this would happen. But for a 10x zoom non L lens that is at a cheap price, I think the results look pretty good. Lots of people outside this forum would be very happy with the results they get.

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Even with the G7X II, I sometimes go back and forth between profile lens corrections on and off in ACR. Sometimes that leads me to lessen and sometimes to increase some settings. I'd rather do that than have another couple pounds of glass to do lens corrections. Sometimes after I've altered perspective, such as converging verticals, I need to nudge the correction a bit toward the pincushion direction to straighten the lines. I think the profile slightly undercorrects barrel distortion.

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
I was at the Canon booth at IBC today and I still don't know whether I like the 24-240 more than the 24-105 or not. Similar price, size and weight. I don't mind the heavy software corrections, but I don't know how often I'll use the 105-240 range.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
For someone "not interested in this conversation" you've been devoting a fair amount of effort to telling participants in it that they are wrong. Though you've not followed through and supplied anything to support that. Maybe that's what you're not interested in doing.

Don't misunderstand me; if I am demonstrably wrong, I want to know it. But I'm not going to conclude I was wrong on the basis of some guy on the internet who isn't interested in backing up an assertion that I am wrong.
You are a demonstrably wrong:) sorry.
I expressed my opinion ( made a single short comment) but not in a position to engage in arguments or have time for responding to Rhetorical questions.
I do not see this being devoting a fair amount of effort.
I Hope this explains.

SteveC

M50 & T6i
Sep 3, 2019
You are a demonstrably wrong:) sorry.
I expressed my opinion ( made a single short comment) but not in a position to engage in arguments or have time for responding to Rhetorical questions.
I do not see this being devoting a fair amount of effort.
I Hope this explains.
I may be demonstrably wrong...but as you haven't demonstrated it...dismissed.

PCM-madison

EOS 80D
Dec 9, 2013
Distortion at 24mm, yes. Not covering full frame, false. EOS RP with 24-240mm at 24mm F4. RAW image processed in Adobe RAW with no lens correction.View attachment 186607
Upon further testing by opening RAW photos from my lens at 24mm F4 using different RAW converters, I can confirm that my lens shows mechanical vignetting or not depending on the RAW conversion pathway. All of the final images are 6240X4160 so there is clearly some cropping and up-scaling for some RAW conversion pathways that I was not aware of.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
So the lens profile correction in Adobe camera raw straightens the distortion which crops the photo and removes viginetting. Apparently DPP does the same, I do not have DLO corrections for the lens, they must be embedded in the cr3 file.

I don't think that's a issue for me, but how wide actually is the final image?

If the hype over the distortion at 24mm causes a drop in sales and a drop in price, I'll get one.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
Upon further testing by opening RAW photos from my lens at 24mm F4 using different RAW converters, I can confirm that my lens shows mechanical vignetting or not depending on the RAW conversion pathway. All of the final images are 6240X4160 so there is clearly some cropping and up-scaling for some RAW conversion pathways that I was not aware of.

Is it a big deal to you? The lens is weak at 24mm, but the corrected images don't look bad to me. I would not be buying this lens for critical work, just as a walk around do it all lens.

Does it take a TC?

Reactions: ethanz

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
"Why can't Canon be more like Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus?"

Canon: Here, try this cheap and relatively light 24-240 lens.

"OMG!!!! Canon is doing the same thing that Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus have been doing for years!!!!"

"Canon is DOOMED!"

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I may be demonstrably wrong...but as you haven't demonstrated it...dismissed.
That’s because you are relatively new to this game and you have admitted that earlier. Have merely expressed my opinion and di not want to engage in meaningless conversation. That’s all.