Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

Oneand0 said:
Taken with a 7D @ 125sec and 160 ISO. My favorite of all time from my batch with this lens. Normally use a 21mm prime now and just pano if I need wider. But looking at my shots with it, I think I will start using it again. My only dislike about this lens is I can't use a polarizer or a ND over it.

I really like this picture. (Clearly you do too, you posted it twice !). It has a wonderful feeling of desolation to it. Personally I never got on with the Canon 18 mp crop sensor, but I've seen some great pictures shot using it.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Looking up from the base of the Eiffel Tower along Avenue Gustave Eiffel.
====
EOS 1D X, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, 2 s, f/11, ISO 100

One of my favourite cities in the world to take pictures. Great shots neuro, but I have a couple of questions for you.

You shot those at 14mm with a Rokinon. Have you tried Canon's new 11-24 and do you feel it could have been useful in Paris? Would those extra 3mm helped, despite it being f/4.0?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
expatinasia said:
neuroanatomist said:
Looking up from the base of the Eiffel Tower along Avenue Gustave Eiffel.
====
EOS 1D X, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, 2 s, f/11, ISO 100

One of my favourite cities in the world to take pictures. Great shots neuro, but I have a couple of questions for you.

You shot those at 14mm with a Rokinon. Have you tried Canon's new 11-24 and do you feel it could have been useful in Paris? Would those extra 3mm helped, despite it being f/4.0?

Thanks!

I haven't tried the 11-24mm yet (but I nearly bought it before the trip, and likely will at some point). I do think the extra 3mm would have come in handy in some situations. The f/4 max is fine, I was shooting at f/8-11 anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
expatinasia said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Neuro and it's a shame you do not have the 11-24 on you as it would have been interesting to learn your thoughts. Are you still in Paris? I used to live there and can happily recommend some nice spots to go.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm home now. :( Sent you a PM.

Upvote 0
Water tower from Drobeta Turnu Severin city in SW of Romania.

arhitectura07.jpg

Canon 50D Samyang 14mm f/8

Upvote 0
nice captures.

I have the 14mm. sometimes I think its better than my canon 16-35/f2.8 II at 16mm.
I also just purchased the 12mm fisheye on sale. now i have 12mm & 14mm. Does anyone have experience with the two? Maybe some knowledge on how sharp the corners are on both at low light, landscape astrophotography. I haven't had time yet to test..maybe someone knows of a review.
thanks

Upvote 0
Two views of the grand structure from almost the same spot made possible by this lens.

Looking up, at the highest gateway in the world
by Sharad Medhavi, on Flickr

Highest gateway in the world - Upright and tall
by Sharad Medhavi, on Flickr

Buland Darwaza, the highest gateway in the world built in 1576 A.D. It is not easy to get an upright picture of this monument as there is no space step back enough. A long flight of steps near the gateway take you 50 meters down. Standing there I wished that I had a tilt-shift lens, but even this upright picture would have been impossible without this creative lens :)
You can use it as a pseudo-tilt/shift by shooting straight, with the object filling only a part of the frame, and then cropping in post. That is how I achieved the second picture from almost the same spot as the first one.

Upvote 0
Click said:
K-amps said:
Sold my Sigma 12-24 mk.II and got this Rokinon 14mm... LOVE IT.

It's light, and sharp.

Beautiful shot. Well done K-amps.

bod said:
K-amps said:
Sold my Sigma 12-24 mk.II and got this Rokinon 14mm... LOVE IT.

It's light, and sharp.

Great image K-amps.

I would like a wider angle lens and this thread is encouraging me towards spending time with the Rokinon 14 mm rather than saving up for the Zeiss 15mm.

Thank you both!

Upvote 0