Sell our email or hacked?

Mar 25, 2011
TeT said:
You signed up for the free drawing, you signed up for these emails. Use the unsubscribe button on the bottom of email...

Yes, the free drawing signup included a e-mail news letter. I understood that.

I email I received was a private e-mail from another member which did not use the standard CR interface for a reply but came straight to me rather than my having to reply online. Turns out I had checked that allow e-mail box which had nothing to do with the drawing.

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
You received a e-mail with a faked from address, so you know for a fact it came from CR?
I didn't say the mail came from CR. I'm saying the email-address used as recipient in the spam came from Canon Rumors in one way or another. I stand by that claim.
My perception is that the sender was faked in order to circumvent spam filters. However, I just deleted it and did not investigate any further.

CR Backup Admin said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but CR does not send spam, or even send e-mail, if you signed up for the newsletter, you might get that.

Am I to understand that the Datacolor mail in fact was sent from the Canon Rumors mail list? Are the spams a part of the mail list we signed up for?

CR Backup Admin said:
Its interesting that the OP uses a virtually identical email address to yours, his is extremely easy to guess.

Use something random, or not easy to guess. a email like CR or CanonRumors, for example only requires your domain.

About easy to guess email, they only need to know your domain - while that may be true in my case, the spam sent was targeted towards me as an canon rumors follower. To use a targeted spam sucessfully with the guessing addresses technique, the spammer would have to know that someone at my domain was a member of canon rumors and sigend up for your mail list. I'd say that seems very unlikely.
The spamming technique using a known sender is a targeted technique designed so that the recipients spam filters allows the mail to go through and so the recipient actually looks at it, since the recipient thinks it is a valid mail. It would be extremely elaborate to target all mail domains in the world and guess email recipients, on the whim that some tiny fraction of the domains has canon rumors users who will fall for the trick.

CR Backup Admin said:
And ... other members do not get them?

Not true. In this thread a few others are saying they are getting the same datacolor ad.
I have a friend who signed up for the list and got the same spam the same day. So certainly more than me is getting it. For all we know, thousands of people could be getting these mails but they just didn't go online here to tell you about it.

CR Backup Admin said:
...If you have a facebook account and follow canon rumors, hacked facebook accounts are as common as dirt. I would recommend that you change all of your passwords, if someone got your CR email, they may have other information or passwords. I cannot see your password, Its pretty securely locked up, but nothing is totally secure.

Again, I use a separate specific mail address on canon rumors and I use it nowhere else. The email associated with this account has nothing to do with any other account I hold. There is no way a hacked facebook account could be used to learn about my activities on canon rumors.

As for sending spam through the "Allow members to mail" it is not a valid angle on neither me nor my friend. I have this feature un-checked and my friend has no account on Canon rumors. We got the same spam the same day. The only thing that links these two e-mail-addresses with canon rumors is the mail list sign up.

CR Backup Admin said:
If CR was hacked, we would get a flood of people complaining in minutes, we have many tens of thousands of members. #377624 is the latest, we started with number 1.

I am not saying the site was hacked. But either the mail list was compromised or these ads are a part of the mail list.
Maybe the case is the latter and that would be the end of this discussion. I thought I signed upp for a canon rumors mail list (If I recall it correctly it was described as the sites whishes to interact a little bit tighter with its community). If I misunderstood, then no big deal. I can remove myself. But clearly I wasn't the only one thinking it was spam.

Upvote 0
TeT said:
You signed up for the free drawing, you signed up for these emails. Use the unsubscribe button on the bottom of email...
The difficulty with that approach is that each ad has their own "unsubscribe". So I can now tell Datacolor I'd like to unsubscribe from their ads. That doesn't mean that I will stop getting ads, since they can give my email address to any number of ad-partners. Once your address is in the wild, there is no unsubscribe.

Also, it is a common spamming technique to harvest activities through "unsubscribes". When you click that link the spammer not only learns that you are reading his spams, he also learns your IP, your browser fingerprint, your third party cookies and so on. The "unsubscribe" page may very well serve you malware hidden in a banner ad and harvest other things from your computer.

Upvote 0
By the way, these were the premises I signed up for:
We’d like some more direct interaction with our readership, we hope to do that with our newsletter. Some people are not into social media or discussion forums but would still like to be part of the discussion and to be included in giveaways and additional content. In 2016 we’re going to have exclusive monthly giveaways only available to people that receive our newsletter. We PROMISE our newsletter is not going to “spam”, we just want to add some value for our loyal readers. We also promise that if you unsubscribe, you’ll actually be unsubscribed, we won’t just email you more often.
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-rumors-lens-giveaway-to-celebrate-2016/

There was a PROMISE of no spam.

There was nothing indicating there would be ads, so the comments that "we signed up for it, live with it" is uncalled for.

Upvote 0
Decided I better go check my garbage email account... sure enough I got the same spam on April 21. I have no idea how they would have gotten that address other than via Canon Rumors? I have no Facebook account and "allow emails" is not checked in my profile.

BTW: about those monthly giveaways... have I missed something? Or should I consider free spam a "giveaway?"

intuition said:
We’d like some more direct interaction with our readership, we hope to do that with our newsletter. Some people are not into social media or discussion forums but would still like to be part of the discussion and to be included in giveaways and additional content. In 2016 we’re going to have exclusive monthly giveaways only available to people that receive our newsletter. We PROMISE our newsletter is not going to “spam”, we just want to add some value for our loyal readers. We also promise that if you unsubscribe, you’ll actually be unsubscribed, we won’t just email you more often.

There was nothing indicating there would be ads, so the comments that "we signed up for it, live with it" is uncalled for.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
old-pr-pix said:
Decided I better go check my garbage email account... sure enough I got the same spam on April 21.

I also received the same one on April 21st, purporting to come from Canonrumorsnewsletter. Although I thought I had signed up for the Canon Rumors Newsletter back when the promotion started, I have not received any newsletters (no wonder I didn't win any of the lenses). I don't know what any of that means, but there it is.

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
I thought Canonrumors includes advertising/posting photography equipment/accessories discounts. Why are there complaints? You don't complain when those lens and camera rebates and discounts are posted in the main page. Right? :eek:
There are complaints because the sign up promised no spam and now we are getting spam.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
intuition said:

You were promised that the newsletter would not be spam. Sorry, but I don't see anything in the text you quoted that promises your email address will not be shared with 3rd parties. Did you such a statement as part of signing up for the CR mailing list?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Although I received the news letters, they did not contain any advertising.

I'd suggest writing to the forum owner and telling him about the advertising you received.

Give him a chance to look into it. I'm sure he will want a copy of the e-mail along with the full headers. He can then have the IT guy check the server logs to see if it was sent, or if it is fake.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Well, I am going to have to eat crow.

I opened my spam filter, which is almost 100% efficient, and there was a ton of Spam directed to my Canon Rumors email that is only known to CR and Google. Other Google email address aliases are not receiving the spam, so it is very suspicious. I have changed to a new email (alias) and will see if that generates spam.

I seldom look in my spam folder, and only two days ago did I change Thunderbird to show both sender and recipient. That caused all those spam emails to pop up.

I had previously sent a e-mail to the CR owner, Craig and he replied that he would ask his admin to check it out. I've sent another and will monitor for spam sent to the new address.

If you can, change the email address used for Canon Rumors to a unique one and see if spam starts arriving at the new address.

Upvote 0