Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks rpt, I'm not exactly pleased because I had fill flash set up and my batteries died.

On that topic, my 600EX-RT now has one of those power units sold by off-shore for around $40 that takes 8 AA batteries and powers the head only. I'm very pleased with the unit and for stationary use believe it will allow me to adapt a sealed 12v lead-acid much more substantial energy source. Another project.

BTW, notice the size of the feet on the nuthatch! No wonder they can scramble around upside down. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Still trying to hone my reflexes and set-up and it's getting a little more consistent but still very hit and miss. More fun than sitting indoors on a cold winter day (well -15C isn't really that cold)! ;)

Jack

Attachments

• Chickadee_24845.JPG
    Chickadee_24845.JPG
    575 KB · Views: 92
  • Chickadee_24868.JPG
    Chickadee_24868.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
Jack,
Excellent shots. Real nice
I like the 2nd one. Almost like a stationary bird.
-5 is balmy, but, still stay warm.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Still trying to hone my reflexes and set-up and it's getting a little more consistent but still very hit and miss. More fun than sitting indoors on a cold winter day (well -15C isn't really that cold)! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, lion rock. Based on our sunshine you'd think it was +15C, until you step out of course. But, I miss all our summer birds!!

Speaking of sunshine, it's late afternoon sun on this guys head. Heavy crop with the 300. Now does anyone know why the majority of these guys are displaying something atop their beak? :-\

Jack

Attachments

• Crop_24893.JPG
    Crop_24893.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hey Jack.
I observed a lot of these HUGE birds on The Serengeti. They were feeding off of carcases in groups mixed in with vultures. I am sure that they could also be excellent birds of prey on their own. They are also called the "undertaker bird", and with fairly naked head and neck, are well suited for eating carrion. They have wing spans >3.0 meters on average. Feeding with the vultures is a very loud and aggressive experience to behold.

Wiki has a great write up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marabou_stork

Take a look at an old pic of the bird in the right column with wings stretched. HUGE!

Sek

Jack Douglas said:
scottkinfw, are you serious?!

Jack

Upvote 0
Little something from this weekend at the Salton Sea. SuperB Owl.
SS1503-X3.jpg

Upvote 0
Another super shot! Cropped or not, very nice.
Summer is COMING! 8) Hang on there.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Thanks, lion rock. Based on our sunshine you'd think it was +15C, until you step out of course. But, I miss all our summer birds!!

Speaking of sunshine, it's late afternoon sun on this guys head. Heavy crop with the 300. Now does anyone know why the majority of these guys are displaying something atop their beak? :-\

Jack

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
Havn't been able to get out much since getting my 70-200, but a quick walk on the beach this last weekend (about 5 degrees F, or about -15c, with gusting winds of 30mph) I caught this guy in a tree, didnt let me get very close, but im pretty impressed with how well the heavy crop (<1mp) was, even if I did miss focus a smidge

Attachments

• IMG_6050.jpg
    IMG_6050.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6050-2.jpg
    IMG_6050-2.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0