Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
Very cute, I love the fact that both mums are giving you near identical looks despite their different situations, a real evaluation, threat or not?

Cheers, Graham.

Don Haines said:
Your daily dose of cuteness....

I drifted past these...... I stayed real still in the canoe so I wouldn't scare them.... they stayed real still so I wouldn't see them.....

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Nice shots, I really like the second shot, with the exception of the crop (I think it is cropped from the exif?) being too close on the wing tip feathers in my opinion. Of course where there is one gull there are probably others and the crop may have been forced on you! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Now, I seldom am around gulls so am wondering if this is a Herring gull. I am now trying to get more BIF opportunities to practice tracking. Not too pleased with this. More so with the Ring-billed (think that's correct??).

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.
Nice shots, I really like the second shot, with the exception of the crop (I think it is cropped from the exif?) being too close on the wing tip feathers in my opinion. Of course where there is one gull there are probably others and the crop may have been forced on you! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Now, I seldom am around gulls so am wondering if this is a Herring gull. I am now trying to get more BIF opportunities to practice tracking. Not too pleased with this. More so with the Ring-billed (think that's correct??).

Jack

Thanks Graham. The first is not captured with enough space but the second can be loosened a little. It's a common failing of mine to go too tight. I've done very little BIF with my 6D and now am practicing with the 1DX2 so my "focus" was more on just getting shots, period. Can't seem to keep more than one thing in my head at a time! :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Yea I hear you with concentrating on one thing and missing another detail, I thought the second shot was ok for framing, etc, I just prefer the shape of the bird in the first shot, not forgetting the subjective nature of photography which makes my opinion worth about tuppence! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Thanks Graham. The first is not captured with enough space but the second can be loosened a little. It's a common failing of mine to go too tight. I've done very little BIF with my 6D and now am practicing with the 1DX2 so my "focus" was more on just getting shots, period. Can't seem to keep more than one thing in my head at a time! :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Graham, one thing I strive to adhere to and that is to never take offense at constructive criticism or advice. There is no better way to improve than to practice keeping in mind what others say. And not just the "experts". People who get their bristles up are losing out, assuming being their best is their goal. ;)

Here is another shot or two from the weekend.

Jack

Attachments

• RW blackbird_F_15175.JPG
    RW blackbird_F_15175.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
  • Red-necked grebe_14926.JPG
    Red-necked grebe_14926.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I'm with you on that, and pleased to say you are one of the people on here I feel slightly more comfortable with offering comment on a shot.
I never feel truly comfortable making even slightly negative comments due to my own mediocre ability! :) (living in glass houses, throwing stones etc.)
Two more nice shots, I like the blackbird shot, lots of action including ruffling the surface of the water by the look of it.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Graham, one thing I strive to adhere to and that is to never take offense at constructive criticism or advice. There is no better way to improve than to practice keeping in mind what others say. And not just the "experts". People who get their bristles up are losing out, assuming being their best is their goal. ;)

Here is another shot or two from the weekend.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Looking for breakfast
35446790086_4b6ed6230a_c.jpg

Upvote 0