Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi guys
I've been out of action because carrying my 400mm DOII/5D on a BlackRapid has caused painful hip problems. I reckoned that a double-holster to spread the weight over both shoulders might solve the problem (after some rest from carrying). Not wishing to spend £150 for a double BlackRapid I paid £6.49 for a Chinese knock off, which I tested with two 14lb weights. Problem solved and I am back in business!

By mistake, I took out yesterday the 400mm + 1.4xTC attached to the 5DIV instead of the 5DSR - I usually use with a 2xTC on the IV. But, I really liked it and will use this combo for a while. It's very responsive, very consistent focus and sharp. Here is a juvenile robin very close up, which probably would have given Moire with the 5DSR and some shots of a great crested grebe quite far away catching a giant crayfish, where I used higher speeds than with 800mm.

I couldn't resist posting this banded demoiselle - the minimum focus is 3.3m with the lens, not exactly macro, but it is so sharp it works.

Attachments

• DoubleStrap_CR.JPG
    DoubleStrap_CR.JPG
    866.5 KB · Views: 98
  • juvenile_robin_2B4A3775_DxO_small.jpg
    juvenile_robin_2B4A3775_DxO_small.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 69
  • greatcrestedgrebe+crayfish_2B4A3799_DxO.jpg
    greatcrestedgrebe+crayfish_2B4A3799_DxO.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • greatcrestedgrebe+crayfish_2B4A3812_DxO.jpg
    greatcrestedgrebe+crayfish_2B4A3812_DxO.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • bandeddemoiselle+2B4A3891_DxO_vg.jpg
    bandeddemoiselle+2B4A3891_DxO_vg.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Riley.
It is so nice when the birds cooperate to some extent by waiting until we are ready.

Cheers, Graham.

lion rock said:
Just shot him. Stayed at the feeder for a very long time, enough to get the shooting tool and aim/shoot! Cute creature and chirps while pecking for seeds.
7DII/100-400II at 400mm. No cropping, about 16 ft away.
-r

Upvote 0
Thanks Graham.
Unusual behavior on his part. I don't complain, though. Just happy that it gave me an opportunity.
-r

Valvebounce said:
Hi Riley.
It is so nice when the birds cooperate to some extent by waiting until we are ready.

Cheers, Graham.

lion rock said:
Just shot him. Stayed at the feeder for a very long time, enough to get the shooting tool and aim/shoot! Cute creature and chirps while pecking for seeds.
7DII/100-400II at 400mm. No cropping, about 16 ft away.
-r

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Great Blue Heron. Surveying my pond from neighbor's chimney looking for a meal. Regularly see them on my roof or gutters overlooking the pond. Caught one in the pond a few years back. Unfortunately overcast so light wasn't that great.

Attachments

• dvmtthws-20170625123427.jpg
    dvmtthws-20170625123427.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Hi guys
I've been out of action because carrying my 400mm DOII/5D on a BlackRapid has caused painful hip problems. I reckoned that a double-holster to spread the weight over both shoulders might solve the problem (after some rest from carrying). Not wishing to spend £150 for a double BlackRapid I paid £6.49 for a Chinese knock off, which I tested with two 14lb weights. Problem solved and I am back in business!

By mistake, I took out yesterday the 400mm + 1.4xTC attached to the 5DIV instead of the 5DSR - I usually use with a 2xTC on the IV. But, I really liked it and will use this combo for a while. It's very responsive, very consistent focus and sharp. Here is a juvenile robin very close up, which probably would have given Moire with the 5DSR and some shots of a great crested grebe quite far away catching a giant crayfish, where I used higher speeds than with 800mm.

I couldn't resist posting this banded demoiselle - the minimum focus is 3.3m with the lens, not exactly macro, but it is so sharp it works.

Great shots Alan. I'll pass my mother's advice to me to you: Don't get old!

Perhaps of no value now but here is my comment on the weight issue. I have back issues that are pretty bad and a chronic whiplash neck injury and I may end up doing something like you have.

However, for now a great help is the replacement foot, a Jobu, that is considerably longer and I use it as a convenient handle to take weight off my right shoulder, off and on, as I hike, sometimes even hoisting the 400 and 1DX2 over my shoulder by that foot (strap is diagonally located over my right shoulder, under my left arm and fairly short).

When I jump over puddles or whatever, the camera/lens is being held off my body by the foot (right hand). Often as I walk the foot is the means by which I cradle the camera into the crook of my right arm. Also I grab the pair with my right hand using the foot when I pick it up initially. I wouldn't be without that "handle".

Jack

Upvote 0