Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tron said:
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Mikehit said:
Grebe washing. I wish I'd been braver and gone for another half stop of ISO to get a faster shutter speed.

Canon 7d2 with 400DOii and 2x extender mkiii
1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

I like it the way it is. Well done, Mike. :)

I also think that the motion is pleasingly evident and that possibly it gives it more character. That head was really twisting! I guess it comes down to personal preference. Too bad we can't just release a finger and the shutter switches to a predefined alternate setting.

Jack
+1 about motion. Oh I do love seeing grebes :)

I do not know If I understood correctly what you mentioned about alternate shutter setting (by the way English is not my native language) but shutter can change instantly by using custom controls. I have assigned 1/2500 and some other settings (like AI Servo) to the * button for example (this works on 5DsR, 7DII and 5D4)

Tron, Not one of my better migraine days but my present recollection is that the AF changes that I have programmed to AF-On and * do not change my shutter speed. At the moment I have shutter focus (fully auto from starting spot) that gets overridden by AF-ON (spot expansion, servo) or * (one shot) but there is no shutter speed change I can have that I'm aware of. I have the multifunction button cycling me through C1,2,3 and I believe that is one way I could but haven't yet achieved this change in shutter speed. In my mind I'd like the shutter speed change to be as fluid as my present shift from full auto to spot expansion just by rocking my thumb and shutter finger off and on. Making any sense?

Thanks click. I was hoping for a much nicer shot but I take what I can get, especially when it's a new subject added to my list. How to handle bright white and deep shadow like I had - not easy in just DPP. I need a sabbatical to study photography! :(

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks tron. I am sure you will love your 5DSR. I prefer to use the 1.4xTC on the 400mm DO with it rather than the 2xTC. Because of the extra loss of IQ on going to 2xTC, you only get an extra 20% of linear resolution over the 1.4xTC at the very most under ideal conditions and it is often worse under less than ideal conditions because of the greater sensitivity to shake etc combined with the IQ hit. But, in good light with high shutter speeds I will use the 2xTC for static targets. For BIF, the bare lens or with the 1.4x are the best.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
Grebe washing. I wish I'd been braver and gone for another half stop of ISO to get a faster shutter speed.

1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

Mike
Last weekend when I "made the mistake" of using only the 1.4xTC instead of the 2xTC with the 400mm DO II on the 5DIV, it worked out for the best as I took this one at 1/3200s of a great crested grebe shaking the crayfish to death - you can see a part of a claw on the left. As in my response to tron, I am going to to use the 1.4x more for a while instead of the 2x as there are some advantages.

Attachments

• grebeshakingcrayfish_2B4A3797_DxO_.jpg
    grebeshakingcrayfish_2B4A3797_DxO_.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
tron said:
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Mikehit said:

1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

I like it the way it is. Well done, Mike. :)
I also think that the motion is pleasingly evident and that possibly it gives it more character. That head was really twisting! I guess it comes down to personal preference. Too bad we can't just release a finger and the shutter switches to a predefined alternate setting.

Jack
+1 about motion. Oh I do love seeing grebes :)

I do not know If I understood correctly what you mentioned about alternate shutter setting (by the way English is not my native language) but shutter can change instantly by using custom controls. I have assigned 1/2500 and some other settings (like AI Servo) to the * button for example (this works on 5DsR, 7DII and 5D4)

Tron, Not one of my better migraine days but my present recollection is that the AF changes that I have programmed to AF-On and * do not change my shutter speed. At the moment I have shutter focus (fully auto from starting spot) that gets overridden by AF-ON (spot expansion, servo) or * (one shot) but there is no shutter speed change I can have that I'm aware of. I have the multifunction button cycling me through C1,2,3 and I believe that is one way I could but haven't yet achieved this change in shutter speed. In my mind I'd like the shutter speed change to be as fluid as my present shift from full auto to spot expansion just by rocking my thumb and shutter finger off and on. Making any sense?

Thanks click. I was hoping for a much nicer shot but I take what I can get, especially when it's a new subject added to my list. How to handle bright white and deep shadow like I had - not easy in just DPP. I need a sabbatical to study photography! :(

Jack
Jack I was referring to the following:

Attachments

• custom.jpg
    custom.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Mikehit said:
Tron - I'd forgotten about those settings and is pretty much the same thing you can do regards AF functionality. Maybe set +2 stop exposure on one button and -2 on the other. I have a nasty habit of forgetting I have set Exposure Comp and ruining the next shot!
That or you can select not to check the exp comp so as not to change it by pressing the button. You do not have to change everything just the settings that interest you. I used to register exp comp. to +2/3 but after losing shots due to overexposure I unchecked it so as to use the exp comp originally selected in the camera. But this setting helps me alot. In one of the two buttons I select all focus points (and in the other I leave it unchecked). The use of the former button (with all af points selected and a speed of 1/2500 or 1/3200) is to help me catch birds in flight that I see suddenly while i am shooting something else using a single focus point...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
I have often thought about 1.4x vs 2x but in this occasion the grebe was far enough away that I erred on the side of caution. It's the confidence thing, isn't it.

From the way you have spoken recently about the 5DIV, it sounds as if you will be using it more than the 5DSR. How are the two playing off?

Both will be used. They are both really great, but have pros and cons. The 5DSR is so sharp with its high resolution and lack of AA that it wins out in the long distance shots. But, for close ups of birds there is the occasional Moire. Its AF is also very good. But, I rarely use it with more than 560mm (400x1.4) because its too demanding on technique. For a while I preferred ever so marginally the 5DIV at 800mm (400x2) which has very similar resolution, and the less dense sensor is less demanding on technique. However, the AF on the 5DIV is just spectacular, fast and precise, with the lens at 560mm makes it really great to use that compensates for the small real loss in resolution, and I am going to use it for a while. It's real luxury to have both bodies. Both get used when I travel with my wife. Here are a couple of shots of waxwings I have probably posted to show how I got some Moire with the 5DSR +560mm, which also occurred to some extent with the 5DIV at 800mm.

Attachments

• 5DSR_560mm.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 93
  • 5DIV_800mm.jpg
    5DIV_800mm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Tron - I'd forgotten about those settings and is pretty much the same thing you can do regards AF functionality. Maybe set +2 stop exposure on one button and -2 on the other. I have a nasty habit of forgetting I have set Exposure Comp and ruining the next shot!

Thanks. That's one I missed entirely. I spent many days digesting the manual and trying stuff and I just got overwhelmed by it all. I did get quite a bit practiced with the camera but otherwise it slips away and is forgotten. I think my brain is failing like Alan's shoulders. Wonder if they make any brain straps. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:

Thanks. That's one I missed entirely. I spent many days digesting the manual and trying stuff and I just got overwhelmed by it all. I did get quite a bit practiced with the camera but otherwise it slips away and is forgotten. I think my brain is failing like Alan's shoulders. Wonder if they make any brain straps. ;)

Jack
I took the liberty to say about it but to tell the truth I just assumed that since I have it in my 5D4, 5DsR and 7D2 you would have it in your 1DxII. The extract was from the manual of 5D4.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:
I have often thought about 1.4x vs 2x but in this occasion the grebe was far enough away that I erred on the side of caution. It's the confidence thing, isn't it.

From the way you have spoken recently about the 5DIV, it sounds as if you will be using it more than the 5DSR. How are the two playing off?

Both will be used. They are both really great, but have pros and cons. The 5DSR is so sharp with its high resolution and lack of AA that it wins out in the long distance shots. But, for close ups of birds there is the occasional Moire. Its AF is also very good. But, I rarely use it with more than 560mm (400x1.4) because its too demanding on technique. For a while I preferred ever so marginally the 5DIV at 800mm (400x2) which has very similar resolution, and the less dense sensor is less demanding on technique. However, the AF on the 5DIV is just spectacular, fast and precise, with the lens at 560mm makes it really great to use that compensates for the small real loss in resolution, and I am going to use it for a while. It's real luxury to have both bodies. Both get used when I travel with my wife. Here are a couple of shots of waxwings I have probably posted to show how I got some Moire with the 5DSR +560mm, which also occurred to some extent with the 5DIV at 800mm.
Fantastic shots. By mentioning Moire you reminded my that unfortunately I got Moire in some of my best shots during my vacation (on bee eaters and glossy ibises). Maybe I shouldn't forget completely about my 7D2 after all. In many cases we have to make a choice but in case of bee eaters especially I was in my car and there were so many bee eaters coming and going that I could have switched cameras and shoot again. Now I learned from my lack of experience and next year ... :)

EDIT: This happened when the bee eaters were in the closest distances I got them (at 100% magnification they were almost filling an area of 1920 x 1280).

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Common Sandpiper, UK

Not that common, this was one of a pair with a Summer breeding territory on the River Coquet in Northumberland (NE England), letting me know that it knows that I know it's there...

(Canon 7D Mk II, 100-400mm Mk II, Sigma 1.4x TC, at 560mm).

Attachments

• PN_IMG_1746_1_aff.jpg
    PN_IMG_1746_1_aff.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 77
  • PN_IMG_1739_1_aff.jpg
    PN_IMG_1739_1_aff.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Re: Common Sandpiper, UK

Keith_Reeder said:
Not that common, this was one of a pair with a Summer breeding territory on the River Coquet in Northumberland (NE England), letting me know that it knows that I know it's there...

(Canon 7D Mk II, 100-400mm Mk II, Sigma 1.4x TC, at 560mm).
Nice! Something strange or not with that bird is I was shown (at took pictures of it of course) one in a place and when I got there my self two months later I found it again (just a few meters away from the previous place). Now I cannot know if it was EXACTLY the same bird but it was quite a coincidence :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
tron said:
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:

Fantastic shots. By mentioning Moire you reminded my that unfortunately I got Moire in some of my best shots during my vacation (on bee eaters and glossy ibises). Maybe I shouldn't forget completely about my 7D2 after all. In many cases we have to make a choice but in case of bee eaters especially I was in my car and there were so many bee eaters coming and going that I could have switched cameras and shoot again. Now I learned from my lack of experience and next year ... :)

EDIT: This happened when the bee eaters were in the closest distances I got them (at 100% magnification they were almost filling an area of 1920 x 1280).

Thanks Jack, lion rock and tron.

I love bee eaters, but can never get close enough. Thanks to global warming some have appeared in England!

I have had some great shots with the 7DII and am intending to try it out again. It pairs very well with the 100-400mm II for BIF, and definitely has its place. The recent Canons are all so good.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Sharp-shinned Hawk that visited my pond earlier this spring.

Attachments

• dvmtthws-20170317142149-2.jpg
    dvmtthws-20170317142149-2.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 80
  • dvmtthws-20170317143038-2.jpg
    dvmtthws-20170317143038-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • dvmtthws-20170317143047-2.jpg
    dvmtthws-20170317143047-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • dvmtthws-20170317143103-2.jpg
    dvmtthws-20170317143103-2.jpg