Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Click said:
Beautiful shot, clbayley. Nicely done.

+1 A sure sign that spring hasn't arrived - we're stuck with the regulars.

CL I wouldn't call it common but they certainly do that from time to time. In those cases they generally fluff up nicely. I wouldn't dare to guess what's in their head. Like the chickadees they are such sweet birds and we have tons of them along with the WB nuthatch who doesn't quite qualify as sweet. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

Thank you, ISv! I live south of Atlanta, GA, and they live here. I have seen them but too far way for my kit (200mm max). I very much want an affordable 400 or 500mm prime.
[/quote]

chrysoberyl, affordable means different things to different people but in my norms we will never see an affordable prime lens in these focal lengths.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:

Thank you, ISv! I live south of Atlanta, GA, and they live here. I have seen them but too far way for my kit (200mm max). I very much want an affordable 400 or 500mm prime.

chrysoberyl, affordable means different things to different people but in my norms we will never see an affordable prime lens in these focal lengths.
[/quote]

Maybe not affordable but I was determined to have the 400 DO II and I did without other things to make such a purchase possible. I wouldn't have bought the 300 2.8 II if the 400 had been available back then. Having 400 X2 has really helped me in the reach department and I mainly shoot hand held so that's my preferred choice. Mind, you have to really love birding to spend like this ... I'm certainly not rich with just a pension income but neither am I wanting. Many of the best things in life are free, after all. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv, he almost looks cute. I can't say that about his mate though!

We enjoy what we have available and for me this winter, for some reason, it's been tons of redpolls. So, I just tried to get all the coolest redpoll shots I could and it's still been fun (for me but maybe not for my captive audience). Part of the fun is observing behaviour.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
ISv, he almost looks cute. I can't say that about his mate though!

We enjoy what we have available and for me this winter, for some reason, it's been tons of redpolls. So, I just tried to get all the coolest redpoll shots I could and it's still been fun (for me but maybe not for my captive audience). Part of the fun is observing behaviour.

Jack

Jack, many times I go just because of the walk, to be in the nature or just in the "green" (could be even the nearby park :)) and relax, to "practice" with the camera and so on... And sometimes (actually many times) I even enjoy the photos I got 8)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
My little Withe Tern is doing well - the primaries are almost done, the tail would be soon. And this is for "only" ~3 weeks (for comparison see p. 1054 of this forum)! I estimate about few more weeks (or month?) and it will go to catch it's very own first fish/squid!

Attachments

• DSC_5665_DxO.jpg
    DSC_5665_DxO.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_5713_DxO.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC_5703_DxO.jpg
    DSC_5703_DxO.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Hi Isv, Jack.
Interesting shot of your house sparrow, I noticed a difference in it's head pattern compared to ours in Scotland.Been looking through some old images and came up with one off ours looking a bit more "noble". I was reminded about a linnet shot of mine taken just after it had a bathe in a puddle, conveyed to me it was listening for someting by picking up vibrations. The sparowhawk was taken early morning just after missing out on a blackbird breakfast.
Harry.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk, male..jpg
    Sparrowhawk, male..jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 62
  • linnet listening.JPG
    linnet listening.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 58
  • ww House Sparrow..jpg
    ww House Sparrow..jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Harry, very nice shots. Long time since I heard "sparrow hawk". It was always pigeon and sparrow in our family, guess it came from England. That English sparrow is as noble as they get. Here is an ugly female - sorry it's the truth. ;)

If I recall correctly these critters are now practically in every location around the globe.

Jack

Attachments

• House Sparrow_F_14910.JPG
    House Sparrow_F_14910.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Cute :) Nice pictures, ISv.

+1 Any predators?

Jack

Thanks Click and Jack!
Jack, if you mean predators like the Sparrow hawk - no not actually. Sometimes there are very rare visitors like Peregrine but they usually go after the wider-spread population of doves. On the Big island (or Hawaii island - I know it's confusing, but only one of the Hawaiian island has the name Hawaii :D ) they have the endangered Hawaiian Hawk (Buteo solitarius). On Oahu the only other predators are on the ground: feral cats and the Small Asian Mongoose. We can include also the 2-3 species of rats and exactly they are real danger for the birds on the trees.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
HB said:
Hi Isv, Jack.
Interesting shot of your house sparrow, I noticed a difference in it's head pattern compared to ours in Scotland.Been looking through some old images and came up with one off ours looking a bit more "noble". I was reminded about a linnet shot of mine taken just after it had a bathe in a puddle, conveyed to me it was listening for someting by picking up vibrations. The sparowhawk was taken early morning just after missing out on a blackbird breakfast.
Harry.

Hi Harry! I looked carefully comparing the pictures of both birds (the sparrows) and didn't find significant (out of the normal variations) differences. On other hand, the House sparrow population is so wider-spread that one could expect some divergence...
Sparrow Hawk - the last time I saw one was ~16-17 years ago, in Europe, on low tree just 6-7 meters from me. And I was without camera!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
Since we have some serious bird enthusiasts here, maybe someone would like to venture what is in this shot.

The beak fairy?

Jack

I don't understand very well your question Jack: if you mean that small thing behind the bill of your Pileated woodpecker (male) it should be just wood particle?
V good shot BTW!

Upvote 0