Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Took out my Sigma 150-600mm C on a walk today, but put it on the 5DIV by mistake instead of the DSR, but it was the right thing to have done as the light was bad. I witnessed a terrible scene: four drakes g*ng r*p*ng a mallard duck. The first was at iso 12000. The noise didn't seem too bad for a camera that isn't a Sony.

Attachments

• Duck_GB_2B4A7362-DxO_iso12k.jpg
    Duck_GB_2B4A7362-DxO_iso12k.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 70
  • Duck_GB_2B4A7376-DxO_DuckGB_iso3200.jpg
    Duck_GB_2B4A7376-DxO_DuckGB_iso3200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Took out my Sigma 150-600mm C on a walk today, but put it on the 5DIV by mistake instead of the DSR, but it was the right thing to have done as the light was bad. I witnessed a terrible scene: four drakes g*ng r*p*ng a mallard duck. The first was at iso 12000. The noise didn't seem too bad for a camera that isn't a Sony.

!! Is this normal?

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Chrysoberyl, it seems you are looking for the Pileated Woodpecker. I have zero experience with the North American birds and can not give first hand advise.
What I found in The CornellLab is this (copy and paste): "Pileated Woodpeckers are forest birds that require large, standing dead trees and downed wood. Forests can be evergreen, deciduous, or mixed and are often old, particularly in the West. In the East they live in young forests as well and may even be seen in partially wooded suburbs and backyards".
If you already have the info where to find them - just ignore my post!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ISv said:
AlanF - in right moment at the right place! This is rather strange for birds, at least I have never seen something like this before. Did you see any other females around in the field?

There was a shortage of females. I wonder which drake would help raise the ducklings?

Upvote 0
ISv said:
Chrysoberyl, it seems you are looking for the Pileated Woodpecker. I have zero experience with the North American birds and can not give first hand advise.
What I found in The CornellLab is this (copy and paste): "Pileated Woodpeckers are forest birds that require large, standing dead trees and downed wood. Forests can be evergreen, deciduous, or mixed and are often old, particularly in the West. In the East they live in young forests as well and may even be seen in partially wooded suburbs and backyards".
If you already have the info where to find them - just ignore my post!

Thank you, ISv! I live south of Atlanta, GA, and they live here. I have seen them but too far way for my kit (200mm max). I very much want an affordable 400 or 500mm prime.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
chrysoberyl, we're all here enjoying whatever each is able to accomplish. I've tried and given up pleading my only average capability (but exceptional persistence). I think it was Alan F who commented some time back about the most impressive photos of birds usually involving hides of bating or similar. To some extent that's true, I believe.

At some point, I concluded that my photos of what's around me were never going to be very impressive unless I took the bull by the horns. I had a barn shed with an attic that was kind of low but by putting up a "bell tower" it would be tall enough for me to stand. I constructed the tower and put cutouts on 3 sides and started shooting form there using a gimbal. Being close to a nice grove of trees and with added stumps for birds to perch on I started spending time up there, even in the winter, with a heater at my feet and the results blew me away.

This is where I managed a lot of my Pileated woodpecker shots that were impressive. Just walking around I would never get such shots, as a rule, but I have lucked out on occasion (now at 800 mm I do better). This year, sadly, I've only seen a Pileated once and I didn't scramble to shoot it because I have many run of the mill shots. I really miss them. The trees we generally have around here don't strike me as being big enough for their nests but obviously I must be wrong. They like suet so you can try that to attract them - poke it into tree cracks and rotten stumps that are visible to you.

Here is an old shot showing the tell tale suit on beak, shot with 300 mm and often I'd even use the 70-200.

Jack

Attachments

• Pileated_F_16480.JPG
    Pileated_F_16480.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0