Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
clbayley said:
2 years I have been trying to get a shot of a hawk on a post! They were just so shy. This one let me get close enough...

More than 2 years for me and post or no post I don't get near enough. That's very nice detail. He's banded, maybe that makes him less shy.

Jack

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
dpc - Cute sparrow, great detail you got there. I used to think all sparrows look similar, but these pictures really show me otherwise.

jprusa - Nice shot, great colors. I wish I could get such a nice image of my Spotted Woodpecker or Bullfinch - I love birds with red / orange tones and your picture captures those very nicely.

clbayley - Worth the wait, awesome image!

I took a cycling tour with a friend of mine through an area called the old land, a large fruit producing area along the river with a lot of traditional buildings and tons of birds. Most of those were flying but I managed to get a House Sparrow and an Oystercatcher if the internet informs me right. I've never seen the latter in real life, so I'm quite pleased with the picture despite the noise.

I also have another Tree Sparrow and a Starling from another session of calmly sitting in the garden. I was actually trying to get pictures of some larger birds around the house, but they didn't make an appearance. These smaller guys were really close though, so I still got results I'm quite happy with.

Attachments

• CR_Bird_OldLand-1.jpg
    CR_Bird_OldLand-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • CR_Bird_OldLand-2.jpg
    CR_Bird_OldLand-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • CR_Bird_Garden-1.jpg
    CR_Bird_Garden-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • CR_Bird_Garden-2.jpg
    CR_Bird_Garden-2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
Joules said:
dpc - Cute sparrow, great detail you got there. I used to think all sparrows look similar, but these pictures really show me otherwise.

jprusa - Nice shot, great colors. I wish I could get such a nice image of my Spotted Woodpecker or Bullfinch - I love birds with red / orange tones and your picture captures those very nicely.

clbayley - Worth the wait, awesome image!

I took a cycling tour with a friend of mine through an area called the old land, a large fruit producing area along the river with a lot of traditional buildings and tons of birds. Most of those were flying but I managed to get a House Sparrow and an Oystercatcher if the internet informs me right. I've never seen the latter in real life, so I'm quite pleased with the picture despite the noise.

I also have another Tree Sparrow and a Starling from another session of calmly sitting in the garden. I was actually trying to get pictures of some larger birds around the house, but they didn't make an appearance. These smaller guys were really close though, so I still got results I'm quite happy with.
Very nice Joules , Nice series.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
To say very nice shots from every one is like to repeat myself every time I get here! Very impressive hawk from clbayley and I'm jealous for his killdeer - I have seen this bird only once on the island and off course I was without camera with me!
My weekend was not very productive in terms of birds: Saturday I got few but only a fledgling of White - rumped Shama is worth posting. Little bird with a lot of character/attitude and cute in the same time! I don't think I will ever stop looking/"shooting" them (and they are actually not easy to spot - not like the adults...).

Attachments

• DSC_6469_DxO.jpg
    DSC_6469_DxO.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • DSC_6465_DxO.jpg
    DSC_6465_DxO.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And today it was just an adult of White Tern from the birds (but after posting only juveniles of this species recently it makes some sense). Amazing bird and one have to see it's eyes from below (or from above but good luck with this) to realize how protruding is the front element (must be wide-angle!) and I have no doubt about the f-number and the resolution - anyway it's a question of live or death for them! I wish to see the world at least once with these eyes (but not sure how my processor will work with that information...)!

Attachments

• DSC_6648_DxO-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • DSC_6657_DxO.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • DSC_6675_DxO.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 0