Sigma Art lenses vs. Canon firmware update

Hello everybody.
We all know that new Sigma Art lenses being incredible pieces of engineering art just don't work on Canon's body as they should. As far as I know Nikon cameras don't have such a problem.
Does anybody know if it's made particularly to annoy Sigma and force customers to buy genuine Canon lenses or Sigma just doesn't know any Canon's technologies to make their lenses fit properly?

And the second question, if you don't mind :)
What would you recommend in case of using Sigma Art lenses after all: to use older Canon firmware (altogether with the newest ones in Sigma lenses) or vice versa, the newest ones? Or it doesn't make sense at all and every firmware had, is having and will have these autofocus issues?
Sorry if this question had already been asked, but I couldn't find such a topic here.
Many thanks :)

Apr 24, 2011
MikleK said:
Hello everybody.
We all know that new Sigma Art lenses being incredible pieces of engineering art, just don't work on Canon's body as they should. As far as I know Nikon cameras don't have such a problem.
Does anybody know if it's made particularly to annoy Sigma and force customers to buy genuine Canon lenses or Sigma just doesn't know any Canon's technologies to make their lenses fit properly?

And the second question, if you don't mind :)
What would you recommend in case of using Sigma Art lenses after all, to use older Canon firmware (altogether with the newest ones in Sigma lenses) or vice versa, the newest ones? Or it doesn't make sense at all and every firmware had, is having and will have these autofocus issues?
Sorry if this question had already been asked, but I couldn't find such a topic here.
Many thanks :)

Canon does not share their AF protocols, so 3rd party manufacturers have to reverse-engineer the AF communications with the camera.

It is doubtful that Canon specifically targets 3rd party lens manufacturers with firmware updates to brick lenses, although if there is a firmware update scheduled to address another issue, who knows.

Far as I know, it is not possible to downgrade Canon firmware.

Upvote 0