Sony Announces Addition of Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW Still Image Capture for New A Cameras

Re: Sony Announces Addition of Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW Still Image Capture for New α

AvTvM said:
xps said:
Well, Sony reacts fast on consumer wishes.

hahahaha! Good one. Sony has been heavily critiziced for more than 3 years now for their cooked and crippled RAWs. It took them forever to halfway fix such a simple issue. And even now it is rather unclear, whether they have really fixed the issue by offering both uncompressed 14 bit RAWs as well as LOSSLESSLY compressed 14-bit RAWs. And to what degree these RAWs will remain pre-cooked ...

Furthermore, it looks as if the fix will only be available on A7s and A7R II. Leaving A7 II owners high and dry. not to mention A7, A7s, A7R, R1, R1X and A6000 users. ::)

xps said:
Maybe Canon managers hear from that too and begins listening to its users a little bit more....
Well ... here we are looking at an issue, that does not affect Canon users. For once. :p :)

Sorry, I thought about more DR for Canon users. If the rumors become 100% true, the 7RII (maybe) will have an signigicant increase of DR. IF Sony really creates RAWs like we Canon users are used to use

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dilbert said:
Bdube said:
Don Haines said:
Orangutan said:
For example, on my 20MP crop-sensor, raw files average around 25MB. An uncompressed raw file would be just under 33MB.

It's not just 14 bits per pixel..... it's 14 bits per colour per pixel...

(20Mpixels X 14 bits X 3) colours divided by 8 bits gives 105,000,000 bytes or 100.1MBytes...

Each pixel is monochrome, there is a matrix operation done on the RAW to turn it into a color photo =)

14b/px * 20Mpx / 8bit/byte = 35MB. Maybe 36MB after adding metadata.

Correct.

You can extract each of the RGBG channels into individual files that are each 1/4 of the size in terms of resolution as the original image.

And as others have commented, if Sony creates uncompressed raw files then this is a trade off of slowdown from compression vs slowdown from increased size to write it all out.

The payback will be (as already mentioned) quicker load times into LR, etc, as applications don't need to decompress (to disk or memory) the image. I wonder if Adobe already is working on updating their apps?
I stand corrected.

Upvote 0
So this is big news: Uncompressed 14-bit RAW for new Sony A7 series cameras

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/breaking-news-sony-announces-addition-of-uncompressed-14-bit-raw-still-image-capture-for-new-%CE%B1-cameras/

That was what I was waiting for. They did it a lot faster than I expected. I've been on and off about an A7r II for astro...this was by far my single largest concern.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: So this is big news: Uncompressed 14-bit RAW for new Sony A7 series cameras

Big news...or big files?

They seem to have given people exactly what they asked for, not necessarily what they wanted – uncompressed RAW. Bloated files and correspondingly reduced buffer capacity, instead of just switching from lossy to lossless compression.

A choice between lost data and huge files is better than only the former, but not as good as lossy compression (like everyone else seems to offer).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I still find it difficult to believe they are that stupid, and I wonder those who think its wonderful having 120MB files, reduced buffer, slow saving and uploading from cards and a lot of other potentially nasty performance issues.

Just changing to lossless compression was what was needed.

But then, there has been a thread on this for 2 weeks now.

Upvote 0

It's entirely subjective. Whether you need a large buffer entirely depends on what your photographing. For landscapes, it doesn't matter a wit to me. I have countless gigs of memory cards, and I only take a frame every 10-15 seconds tops, probably more like every minute or two.

The file sizes aren't that huge. It's about 75 megs an image at 42.4mp, and certainly significantly less for the A7s II. That is roughly the same as 5Ds RAW images. Nikon D800 and D810 lossless compressed RAW images are around 60mb in size. That isn't a huge difference. They aren't unreasonably large. LossLESS compression saves you some space, but not a ton. I have hundreds of gigs of intermediate astro data of files 250 megs or more in size for 32-bit float FITS files. I have archival FITS files with high precision 64-bit float data that are even larger. You can pick up a 3TB drive for pittance these days, and 4-6TB drives are falling fast. I saw a new high performance 1TB SSD for $320 the other day...I spent almost that much on a 256GB EVO barely a year ago. Storage space costs are dropping like stones.

When it comes to astrophotography, my images are 5, 10, 15 minutes long each, so as long as the buffer can handle the uncompressed data for one frame, that's all I care about. If you need a sports camera with a high frame rate, then there are certainly better options. Plus, the lossy compression can be enabled if you DO care about buffer depth. I've used a number of Sony cameras now. While in extreme circumstances the compression can exhibit, in practice you cannot tell the difference. My primary concern was for astrophotography, where the compression can be a problem due to the very low signal levels. With extensive stacking, posterization starts to occur in the background areas, which tends to be rather unsightly. That should no longer be a problem with uncompressed 41-bit RAW.

The thing I like about Sony is they respond to customer needs, and do so rather quickly (relatively speaking, compared to the several-year turnaround between Canon DSLR models, which is usually about the fastest you get any major changes if you need them.) If the next outcry for Sony is to add lossLESS compression, I have little doubt they will respond.

Upvote 0

jrista said:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/breaking-news-sony-announces-addition-of-uncompressed-14-bit-raw-still-image-capture-for-new-%CE%B1-cameras/

That was what I was waiting for. They did it a lot faster than I expected. I've been on and off about an A7r II for astro...this was by far my single largest concern.

While y'all were away on vacation or whatnot, we already had a thread or two on the subject.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27694.msg547089

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

High ISO images from my D800 open to 105MP when uncompressed, the Sony will certainly be higher.

Maybe if you only use ISO 100 in bright sunlight would you get 75MB uncompressed images.

So the camera suddenly becomes a slow camera, and you must have tons of large cards?

That is not going to be a sales point, so they won't tell buyers about that part.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what you mean by "open to"...what, as 16-bit full RGB data in Photoshop? That is not indicative of actual data size for a RAW image. For one, the 16-bit image is RGB, three values per pixel, so significantly more data. (Actually, so much more, I am now thinking you mean 8-bit RGB, 24-bits total?) A RAW image contains a single 14-bit value per pixel. It's simple math. In the case of the A7r II:

7952*5304*14/8 = 73,810,464

Throw in some extra for metadata overhead and whatnot... It wouldn't matter how noisy the image is, because there is no compression whatsoever. Every single image would be the same size, maybe with a few bytes difference for changes in metadata length (assuming they don't pad their metadata).

As far as writing images to a memory card, uncompressed SONY raw images aren't going to consume any more space than a 5Ds or D810 losslessly compressed RAW.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

jrista said:
The thing I like about Sony is they respond to customer needs

I think this shows that Sony is failing to understand and respond to customers' needs. Kind of like finding someone lost in the desert who is severely parched and asking for a drink, so you hand them a bottle of whiskey from your pack which will only dehydrate them further, instead of the full water bottle hanging from your belt. Good job, Sony. :eek:

Upvote 0
Oh what a load of crap. But, not surprising from you.

Lossless compression MIGHT save you about 10 megs under the best of conditions for a high resolution sensor. In the case of the A7s II, the savings are going to be significantly less. At higher ISO, you won't save nearly as much, and worst case scenario, it won't save you much of anything. The differences in average image size are usually a few megs from the actual native uncompressed size when you account for the impact of noise.

Lossless compressed, uncompressed. The difference is FAR LESS important than having a non-lossy RAW option in the first place. Sony DID respond to customer needs, and more so than that, to customer demand. This was a BIG demand from Sony customers, and Sony responded. The demand WAS for "uncompressed" RAW. Whether people knew what they were asking for or not, we can only conjecture. But it was what they asked for. Same thing Canon did with the 1D X, fewer megapixels. The actual customer demand from Canon was BETTER megapixels, fewer megapixels, and Canon only really delivered on the fewer part.

There is no perfect manufacturer. At least Sony is pushing the envelope on as many fronts as they can, as often as they can, with a quick response to customer requests. I have for more trust that Sony will listen and act on customer demands than Canon. I could string off a rather long list of customer requests that Canon has ignored for years, in some cases a decade or more? I stopped bothering to wait for Canon to respond to the biggest customer demands for a reason. It's always the same thing with Canon...the predictability got rather boring.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I think this shows that Sony is failing to understand and respond to customers' needs. Kind of like finding someone lost in the desert...

jrista said:
Oh what a load of crap. .

Yes, that desert analogy was a bit hyperbolic, but I think the general idea is valid: the fact that Sony actually needed customer feedback to tell them to use lossless storage for their top-IQ body is disappointing. It's great that they're "listening" to customer feedback, but it would be nice if they would do so in a more intelligent, and dare I say, "business-savvy" way. I really do want Sony to be a viable competitor, but I'm concerned that they keep doing a half-brained job of all of their improvements (except the sensor). Eventually they'll get there, but will they run out of R&D money first?

Sometimes I wonder if Sony bodies are more intended as advertizing for their sensors than as viable products. I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Orangutan said:
3kramd5 said:
Uncompressed? Why?

“The addition of Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW processing is a direct result of customer feedback..."

Because their customers confused "lossless" and "uncompressed," so Sony took them literally rather than for what they meant. The customers wanted lossless compressed raw so no degradation would occur between A/D and the image file.

I hope this is a typo: someone at Sony must have known what was really meant. If not, it speaks poorly of their market intelligence.

Jesus, it appears to actually be uncompressed.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6144418951/what-difference-does-it-make-sony-uncompressed-raw

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Orangutan said:
...I think the general idea is valid: the fact that Sony actually needed customer feedback to tell them to use lossless storage for their top-IQ body is disappointing.

Exactly. The took something that was a fundamental problem which should never have occurred, and after 'listening' to customers they deliver a flawed solution.

jrista said:
But, not surprising from you.

Unsurprising as your obsequious response to Sony's flawed 'solution', perhaps? ::)

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
jrista said:
Oh what a load of crap. But, not surprising from you.

Lossless compression MIGHT save you about 10 megs under the best of conditions for a high resolution sensor.

It MIGHT save you substantially more depending on algorithm and content.

The 5DS at ISO100 puts out about 64.7MB raws in high-detail scenes (per Bryan Carnathan).

DPReview is saying 81MB for the A7R2.

That's a 16MB advantage for the Canon despite the Canon having 20% more pixels.

Personally, I'll likely enable uncompressed in some extreme situations, but I haven't had one instance of the lossy scheme biting me yet (about 5,000 exposures into my R2). Hoping it maintains 14-bit in modes like bulb and silent.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Exactly. The took something that was a fundamental problem which should never have occurred, and after 'listening' to customers they deliver a flawed solution.

for once I am 100% with you on this one.

It really is not like Sony would have to INVENT lossless compressed RAW output. It's been around for many years. If I understand it right, Sony even had (12-bit) lossless compressed RAWs in their Alpha A700, A900 DSLRs, but dropped it in later (SLT, mirrorless) models.

And Sony definitely has NOT responded quickly - their customers have asked for it ever since the launch of the Alpha 7 ... 2 years ago. (Oct 2013)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:
...I think the general idea is valid: the fact that Sony actually needed customer feedback to tell them to use lossless storage for their top-IQ body is disappointing.

The thing that annoys me here is the use of the word "flawed". The solution is not flawed. A flawed solution would be a non-working solution. A non-functional solution. A solution that could not actually work. This is the kind of bullS___ you spout, and the reason I cannot stand you. You carefully choose words to twist facts.

Sony SOLVED a problem. The solution may not be what you, a Canon user, who is familiar with losslessly compressed RAW files, would PREFER, but that does NOT make the solution "flawed". That is the load of crap.

As for Sony's response time. How long have people asked for better DR from Canon, and been stuck with marginal, fraction of a stop improvements (at BEST)? I can remember people asking since the K5 first hit the streets. That was, what, this month 2010? Not everyone NEEDS lossless compression, just like not everyone needs more DR. At least Sony was working the problem. The A7s II has it out of the box, so the option to use uncompressed was completed some time ago, in order to make it into the release for that camera. And they are going to push it out to the rest of the A7 line as well. Canon has refused to deliver AF-point linked metering to their cameras for...god, much longer than they have needed to improve their DR. I think that is the longest standing customer demand for Canon DSLRs that I can remember.

The thing that is a load of crap is to call the addition of uncompressed RAW a "flaw". It may not be the most ideal solution, which probably would have been lossless compression, but it is certainly not flawed.

For the record:

[quote author="DPReview"]This is not the end of the story

In our discussions with Sony, the company was keen to stress that it is still listening. We suspect the reason Sony is offering uncompressed Raw, rather than losslessly-compressed Raw that some users would like, stems from the limitations of working with the cameras' existing processors, rather than any misunderstanding about consumer demands. The company says it will continue to listen and will investigate the development of a lossless compression system if there's sufficient user demand.[/quote]

If any of you die-hard Canon fanboys would actually pay attention to Sony, the interviews with their execs, etc. you would probably find they aren't just some half-assed, ad-hoc floundering fledgling camera company tossing out as many products as possible to see if they stick. I don't think they just see their cameras as advertisements for their sensors. I think they see their cameras as one of the potentially most profitable sectors of their entire company, given the poor state of most of their other sectors, particularly the rest of their electronics. They know exactly what position they are in in the market, have no illusions of the nearly cliff-like uphill battle they have against Canon and Nikon, and are fighting the battle anyway.

THAT is what I admire about Sony. They are honest in a way that I'd LOVE to see Canon be. Instead, we get blatant obfuscation, face saving, and lies (or perhaps just plain old simple naivete? I kind of don't think that is the case...) from Maeda on a fairly regular basis now.

Anyway. Good to see this place hasn't changed.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
jrista said:
The thing that annoys me here is the use of the word "flawed". The solution is not flawed. A flawed solution would be a non-working solution. A non-functional solution. A solution that could not actually work. This is the kind of bullS___ you spout, and the reason I cannot stand you. You carefully choose words to twist facts.

Sony SOLVED a problem.

I'm not even sure that's true. Lossy compression wasn't a problem; it functioned exactly as Sony intended it to. They merely added a new option.

I think they took the shortest path - not compressing at all - in order to get that option out there quickly. Hopefully with more time they can develop a lossless compression algorithm.

Upvote 0