Off Brand: Sony Announces the Full-frame a7R III

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
9VIII said:
Judging by the consistency of the writing style I’m betting “Snoke” doesn’t speak/write English at all and posts through a translator.

He's trolling pretty consistently too ;)
 

Quirkz

EOS RP
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
289
203
Jopa said:
9VIII said:
Judging by the consistency of the writing style I’m betting “Snoke” doesn’t speak/write English at all and posts through a translator.

He's trolling pretty consistently too ;)

I sometimes wonder if he doesn't mean to, but the translation makes it sound like he is.
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
Quirkz said:
Jopa said:
9VIII said:
Judging by the consistency of the writing style I’m betting “Snoke” doesn’t speak/write English at all and posts through a translator.

He's trolling pretty consistently too ;)

I sometimes wonder if he doesn't mean to, but the translation makes it sound like he is.

Well, that's the next step then http://speaklolcat.com/ :)
 

OSOK

EOS M50
Jul 30, 2017
44
2
While the 10 fps performance of the A7R3 might be misleading advertising or have to read the small print - It does uncompressed, full quality, no distortion images at 8 fps. Which still beats Canon offerings.


That is still 1fps better than D850 without battery grip, and 1 fps better than the 5D4 and 3 fps better than the 5DS line.


Canon painted themselves into a corner. How can the 5DSR Mark II possibly be improved to compete with the Sony and Nikon offerings without murdering the 5D4 in the process?

It stands to reason that the 5DSR2 will have many of the same things as the 5D4, such as higher DR, touch screen, and possible DPAF. If it doesn't at least have higher DR - there won't be much point to it at all.

If it goes up to 6 fps, it's a joke of an improvement. If it goes to 7 fps - why bother with a 5D4? If higher, then the 5D4 is completely pointless.

They are also boxed into the AF. Any better AF challenges the 1D series. They can't go backwards to a weaker system. So it will be some kind of unverifably improved 61pt system rehash like the 5D4.


What will they do? As Canon is Canon, they won't update anything for a long time. So long, that by the time a 5DS line is ready according to the Canon 3-5 year cycle, they could do one of two things --

Merge the lines. Instead of offering a separate 5D5 and 5DSR2, just offer a speedy 5D5R or whatever it would be called. 50mp, 8-9 fps, all the bells and whistles except AF, because can't outdo the 1D you know....unless that updates first as is typically scheduled.

Stay the course - and instead make the 5DSR2 an even higher MP camera, 60, 75 or 100mp. Use the massive MP count to justify the weaker ISO and slow FPS. Really push it even more against the medium format world, where 5 fps is a race car. In fairness, the 5DS was marketed to compete in that realm, not against other FF DSLR geared for lowlight, speed and general use. S stands for Studio I've heard.

Then, sometime in 2020 - 5D5 with 8-9 fps and better AF only after the 1DX3 gets something better to keep it on top.

We'll see how this plays out. Canon decided to separate camera traits into different lines. Nikon/Sony used this as a chance to give all-purpose type camera offerings. Canon did well to give a general purpose 5D4 and a high res studio rig in the 5DSR -- BUT....they left out two potential things...a low light specialty camera, and more importantly, a high speed Full Frame that is NOT a flagship. So the offering of specialist camera strategy sounded great at first, until Canon simply left out speed. All they did was give us a mediocre general purpose, and a bare-bones studio camera.


Sony system is immature, still. However, each generation is making very big leaps and each leap is making their system that much more practical to use. AF was always a point of weakness. Well, they have caught up. Won't say better. There's some give and take. But fair to say caught up. If this trajectory continues, they will surpass in AF in all areas by the next generation.

They win on sensor, no issue there.

They are weak on pro features -- ergonomics, settings, layout, lighting control...sure some will argue that, but the Canon is a better machine for getting volume work done.
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
OSOK said:
Canon painted themselves into a corner. How can the 5DSR Mark II possibly be improved to compete with the Sony and Nikon offerings without murdering the 5D4 in the process?

(Almost?) everything in this world has a price. Just lower the 5dm4 price or increase the 5dsr2 price - problem solved. Easy enough? ;)
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
Talys said:
@Jopa - that's really nice -- Aggie has beautiful eyes, and you captured them well :)

Thank you Talys! Maybe that's not the best example because of using a relatively high ISO, but resolution is still there! :)
 

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
306
47
Talys said:
@Orangutan - Well, like I said, I certainly don't give a camera a minus because it has a feature I don't use. If VF histograms or zebras help with shots like the one that you took above and that's the way you like to shoot - of course, have at it - I'm happy you have the tool! :)

For me, I guess shooting film cameras for a couple of decades made exposure second nature, because I didn't have a choice then but to learn to get it right back then. I'm not saying that we should live in the past and deprive ourselves of tools that we have today, but it's not like those skills go away, either, and I find extra clutter -- especially in the viewfinder -- distracting, and of no real benefit to my finished product. It was also not really that painful to learn, and rather satisfying to see the improvement.

Sorry I not understand you. Now I understand what you say.
 

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
2,376
1,246
no, no more dynamic range. the rest is a Sony Marketing Department trickery, wizardry, black magic whatever

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3




dlee13 said:
Considering that it's the same sensor as the A7RII, is it the firmware that allows for more dynamic range?
 

bwud

EOS RP
Sep 3, 2014
305
10
dlee13 said:
Considering that it's the same sensor as the A7RII, is it the firmware that allows for more dynamic range?

There's probably marginally more DR due to downstream electronics (beyond the sensor) and maybe the front-of-sensor-optics. In and of itself, DR is no reason to buy an rIII; the rII is good enough and cheaper.

As an rII user, it was the rest of the updates I found compelling. Joystick. Battery. PC sync for flash. Buffer. All those things are minimal, but taken together it's enough to earn my money. Congratulations to sony for earning $7k when they could have earned $3.5k two years ago. DR could have taken a hit and I'd still have bought one.
 

bwud

EOS RP
Sep 3, 2014
305
10
Dylan777 said:
For me, I use EVF as a gate keeper. It's almost impossible not to adjust the exp. when my eyes see extreme highly/shadow through EVF.

Have a great sunday everyone.

I like it sometimes. Switching between exposure preview and whatever it decides to show in non-exposure preview (seriously I have no idea other than some random combo of settings the light meter thinks is natural) is one thing I hope to be able to either map to or set with the C-modes. I'm down to about 3 things I have to access the menus for. Fewer is better.
 

Dylan777

EOS-1D X Mark III
Nov 17, 2011
5,514
9
bwud said:
Dylan777 said:
For me, I use EVF as a gate keeper. It's almost impossible not to adjust the exp. when my eyes see extreme highly/shadow through EVF.

Have a great sunday everyone.

I like it sometimes. Switching between exposure preview and whatever it decides to show in non-exposure preview (seriously I have no idea other than some random combo of settings the light meter thinks is natural) is one thing I hope to be able to either map to or set with the C-modes. I'm down to about 3 things I have to access the menus for. Fewer is better.

Hope everything goes well bwud, haven't chat with you for awhile.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" than me buying into another FF DSLR system. I'm looking forward to see more FF mirroless systems from big players. Until then, A9 is pretty much has everything I need and want from mirrorless. My simple wish for upcoming a7s III to have similar specs, Eye-AF, fps and AF points as a7r III. If yes....will pre-order it to pair up with my A9.

Have a geat Sunday :)
 

bwud

EOS RP
Sep 3, 2014
305
10
Dylan777 said:
bwud said:
Dylan777 said:
For me, I use EVF as a gate keeper. It's almost impossible not to adjust the exp. when my eyes see extreme highly/shadow through EVF.

Have a great sunday everyone.

I like it sometimes. Switching between exposure preview and whatever it decides to show in non-exposure preview (seriously I have no idea other than some random combo of settings the light meter thinks is natural) is one thing I hope to be able to either map to or set with the C-modes. I'm down to about 3 things I have to access the menus for. Fewer is better.

Hope everything goes well bwud, haven't chat with you for awhile.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" than me buying into another FF DSLR system. I'm looking forward to see more FF mirroless systems from big players. Until then, A9 is pretty much has everything I need and want from mirrorless. My simple wish for upcoming a7s III to have similar specs, Eye-AF, fps and AF points as a7r III. If yes....will pre-order it to pair up with my A9.

Have a geat Sunday :)

You too Dylan!

The a9 is nice, but I’m accustomed to the rII files, so having the same sensor on top of satisfying most of my wishlist (still want lossless compression and bulb mode that doesn’t drop to 12+7 mode), it was a no brainer.
 

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
306
47
SecureGSM said:
no, no more dynamic range. the rest is a Sony Marketing Department trickery, wizardry, black magic whatever

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3

Yes 15 stop exist in Sony imagination. Weather sealing in same place.
 

candc

EOS R
Sep 22, 2013
1,264
8
Wautoma, WI USA.
this is an in depth look at the a7riii dr posted by dpr.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4302149407/sony-a7r-iii-dynamic-range-improved-nearly-matches-chart-topping-nikon-d850/1

l
 

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
2,376
1,246
... To summarize it in a number at base ISO: 13.6 EV at the pixel, or for a 42.4MP file. Or 14.8 EV if you like to compare to DXO numbers (and only generate 8MP images from your 42.4MP camera) ...

Heresy is not an error of the understanding but an error of the will;
 

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
10,490
5,707
The DR (my dick is bigger than yours) discussion is a dead horse, much to Rishi's dismay. He might write in earnest tones about how important it is but when you look at simple facts, like the actual numbers, the D850, the A7RIII and the older 5D MkIV are all within 0.8 of a stop of DR. The 5D MkIV and A7RIII are 0.5 stops of difference at maximum DR.

Is that really something to get out shape over?

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Nikon%20D850,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3

When the 5D MkIII was trailing the competition by nearly three stops there was a point to be made, now, not so much........

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20III,Nikon%20D810,Sony%20ILCE-7RM2
 

Attachments

  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 122

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
25,769
4,152
[quote author='I am unbiased' Rishi]
To summarize it in a number at base ISO: 13.6 EV at the pixel, or for a 42.4MP file.
[/quote]
[quote author='I am unbiased' Rishi]
As for Sony's marketing, it sounds like the claim of 15 EV is believable, but only technically if you consider how your images look when shrunk to 8MP files. To be fair, there's some benefit to comparing dynamic range figures after resizing camera outputs to 8MP, since it's a common basis for comparison that doesn't penalize cameras for having higher resolution (and therefore smaller pixels).
[/quote]

Translation: "I want to believe it because I like Sony so much. But I'm not biased. Hey, can someone lend me a handkerchief to wipe this brown stuff off my nose?"
 

that1guyy

EOS RP
Sep 16, 2012
251
0
neuroanatomist said:
[quote author='I am unbiased' Rishi]
To summarize it in a number at base ISO: 13.6 EV at the pixel, or for a 42.4MP file.
[quote author='I am unbiased' Rishi]
As for Sony's marketing, it sounds like the claim of 15 EV is believable, but only technically if you consider how your images look when shrunk to 8MP files. To be fair, there's some benefit to comparing dynamic range figures after resizing camera outputs to 8MP, since it's a common basis for comparison that doesn't penalize cameras for having higher resolution (and therefore smaller pixels).
[/quote]

Translation: "I want to believe it because I like Sony so much. But I'm not biased. Hey, can someone lend me a handkerchief to wipe this brown stuff off my nose?"
[/quote]

Just curious why you keep commenting on this thread, only to make disparaging remarks about Sony and its users, when you yourself don't like or use their cameras?

Bit pathetic.