Tony Northrup´s rumors for 2018....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2017
unfocused said:
Please summarize, as I can’t bear to watch that goofball.

5Ds Mark II
$4,499
50 or 75 MP
5D Mark IV body
1080p

7D Mark III
$2,299
7D Mark II body
24 MP, no AA
12 FPS, 1DX II focus system
4K full-width

90D
$1,499
24MP, AA
80D body
7D Mark II focus system
4K full-width

M3
$3,499
FF mirrorless with adapter
EVF
30 MP, AA (5D Mark IV)
4K cropped (no Motion JPG)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
snoke said:
unfocused said:

5Ds Mark II
$4,499
50 or 75 MP
5D Mark IV body
1080p
50 or 75 isn't exactly a rumor...

snoke said:
7D Mark III
$2,299
7D Mark II body
24 MP, no AA
12 FPS, 1DX II focus system
4K full-width
Somewhat plausible, but focusing system may very will be an improvent of 7DII's with more AF points than 61.

snoke said:
90D
7D Mark II focus system
AF (and video?) not plausible. Somewhere around 45 af points would be more believable...

snoke said:
Yes sure, they will use an existing name

My comments are against the original rumor people and not CR's forum members who I thank for bringing this to our attention

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks Snoke.

I appreciate you taking the bullet for the rest of us.

As usual, his "predictions" could have been written by anyone on this forum. Although I would be willing to bet that predictions from forum participants would be more accurate.

By the way, Snoke, I appreciate your succinct, to-the-point comments. I know that your English skills aren't super strong, but a lot of times, the rest of us could learn something from your ability to convey ideas in a few, clear words.

Upvote 0
I don't know why he gets so much hate. He said right upfront his predictions would be wrong and even gave examples of how he was wrong last year. I think people hear what they want to hear with people they dislike. Him and Chelsea inspire me in a different way than say Ben Horn or Ted Forbes, but I enjoy their content. I guess i am in the minority.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
snoke said:
unfocused said:

5Ds Mark II
7D Mark III
90D
M3 [FF mirrorless]1

Wow. ALL FOUR next year? Oh, Tony's been huffing paint again. If it were possible to have a negative chance of that coming to pass, this would qualify.

Remember this nugget two months before the most scripted/predictable release of 2016 dropped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvul84wues&feature=youtu.be&t=9m18s

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
By the way, Snoke, I appreciate your succinct, to-the-point comments. I know that your English skills aren't super strong, but a lot of times, the rest of us could learn something from your ability to convey ideas in a few, clear words.

+1. I appreciate you fighting through the language to participate here. Great summary -- now I don't have to see his Powerpoint slides and ESPN-radio-like studio setup.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
reef58 said:
I don't know why he gets so much hate. He said right upfront his predictions would be wrong and even gave examples of how he was wrong last year. I think people hear what they want to hear with people they dislike. Him and Chelsea inspire me in a different way than say Ben Horn or Ted Forbes, but I enjoy their content. I guess i am in the minority.

That's fine, and I'm glad you enjoy his content, but he should stick his strengths -- stuff that inspires or shares opinion.

But this forum has identified countless "Ugh, no that's not how it works at all, Tony" sort of moments where he is spreading information that is not exactly based in fact. And I'm being kind in saying that. Others here will not pull punches in response to some of the things he's said.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
However, taking those predictions as discussion fodder, and reflecting on the trends/patterns of how Canon commercializes things, let's actually discuss: what will be the > $1k body release(s) next year?

Not what you want, but what you think will happen.

The 1DX3, 6D3 and 5D5 are all waaay too soon. Not on the table.

90D is also bit too soon. That's a pretty well dialed-in 3 year product line at this stage, so that would peg it in mid 2019.

The 5DS2/5DSR2 (if we even get two of them again) would logically be in 2019 if Canon sticks to its 4-ish year FF lifecycle, BUT the competition has offered some segment-smashing new supercameras (A7R III, D850 and to a lesser extent the A99-II) that could simultaneously threaten 5DS1/5DSR1 and 5D4 sales. Canon might accelerate the 5DS2/5DSR2 into 2018. I don't think they will because we have no sales data to show the impact of the competitive cameras actually stealing Canon business, but perhaps Canon does have that data.

The 7D3 would logically be in 2019 if Canon sticks to its 5-ish year FF lifecycle for a top-line APS-C rig, BUT that's a famously exception-ish 5 year timetable because Nikon left that market unopposed for a full cycle and Canon didn't feel any pressure to offer a new top APS-C rig. Now the D500 is out and it wouldn't be completely insane to ratchet the 7D line back into the 4 year-ish lifecyle of the pricier rigs.

And then there's the thought that all these 2019-ish timed cameras might have been planned that way to leave 2018 wiiiiiiiide open for us all to finally see a mirrorless FF rig or potentially some other nutty and non-cheap new body: a dedicated 4K camcorder with EF mount, perhaps?

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
reef58 said:

That's fine, and I'm glad you enjoy his content, but he should stick his strengths -- stuff that inspires or shares opinion.

But this forum has identified countless "Ugh, no that's not how it works at all, Tony" sort of moments where he is spreading information that is not exactly based in fact. And I'm being kind in saying that. Others here will not pull punches in response to some of the things he's said.

- A

Are people not allowed to be wrong? I am wrong about something everyday.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
reef58 said:

But it's delivered with the veneer of 'rightness' and 'you can trust me', etc. that makes his thing a bit professorial, and that sort of role should be strictly factual, IMHO.

Again, no ill will towards what he does. It's just not for me.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
reef58 said:

But it's delivered with the veneer of 'rightness' and 'you can trust me', etc. that makes his thing a bit professorial, and that sort of role should be strictly factual, IMHO.

Again, no ill will towards what does. It's just not for me.

- A

I don't really like Tony, but I did not get that impression personally.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
reef58 said:

Sure they are. When their errors are pointed out, they're also allowed to continue to defend their mistakes, even at the expense of their reputation. Personally, I choose to acknowledge my errors and thank those who correct me. Tony prefers a different approach.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
reef58 said:

Sure they are. When their errors are pointed out, they're also allowed to continue to defend their mistakes, even at the expense of their reputation. Personally, I choose to acknowledge my errors and thank those who correct me. Tony prefers a different approach.

I am with you on that. Life is too short for CYA mode. I guess I have not followed the instances where he was wrong and the subsequent reaction. I don't get deep into the technical aspects of photography though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.