R3 Button Illumination

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I might point out one topic in Gordon Laing's part one video, that hopefully someone can clear up for us. At about 7:40 min in, he mentioned that sadly, no buttons were backlit on the R3. Yet, in Canon USA's Rudy Winston's YT R3 video announcement, Rudy seems to contradict this info with his statement at 4:10 min in that several back buttons on the left side are illuminated. Somewhere in Canon Asia's YT R3 video announcement, Canon's rep also mentioned that some buttons were illuminated. Neither of these two videos, that I could tell, however, stated "which" buttons were illuminated. At any rate, if true, which it certainly seems is so, this will be a welcome feature. Anyone out there in Canon Rumor Land that has seen this option elaborated on, showing the specific applicable buttons featuring this option???

Last edited:

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Good point. I remember Gordon Laing stating none were back illuminated, but I did recall Canon contradicting. I assume that the Canon reps have the technical details correct although I do not remember them stating which buttons. From Canon "several rear buttons on the left side are illuminated". I would guess the Rate, Pay, Zoom, and Delete buttons. Glad to see that some are illuminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
They only light up for 15 seconds when you push the bulb/light button on the top next to the exposure compensation button.
View attachment 200233
Interesting but not so sure PBD, only because Rudy W mentions the "back left side" specifically and didn't say anything about the top. I would have thought the bulb/light button on top, you are referring to was to light up the top LCD, as in past similar functions, albeit it would be fine if this lit up the buttons he is referring to as well. To me, neither he nor Canon Asia's videos were clear on this topic.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting but not so sure PBD, only because Rudy W mentions the "back left side" specifically and didn't say anything about the top. I would have thought the bulb/light button on top, you are referring to was to light up the top LCD, as in past similar functions, albeit it would be fine if this lit up the buttons he is referring to as well. To me, neither he nor Canon Asia's videos were clear on this topic.
100% when you push that button the top screen and the buttons that can light up do for around 15 seconds. That is how the 1DX III works and how the previous models without the illuminated buttons works.

The bulb/light button doesn't light up, it is just the 'switch' for the ones that do light up to do so, same with the top screen.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
100% when you push that button the top screen and the buttons that can light up do for around 15 seconds. That is how the 1DX III works and how the previous models without the illuminated buttons works.

The bulb/light button doesn't light up, it is just the 'switch' for the ones that do light up to do so, same with the top screen.
Great. Thx for the FYI and can you then share which buttons light up on 1DxIII?

Upvote 0