Tony Northrup Predicts The Upcoming Full Frame Mirrorless Offerings From Both Canon and Nikon

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
All this talk about mirrorless requiring new mounts - I simply cann't believe that Canon once again will change mount as we saw with the shift away from FD toward EF mount.
If they want to create lenses that take advantages of an empty mirrobox - would it not be possible to make a protruding rear lens element as on EF-S, but still create a FF image circle?
Of cause it will mean that the camera it self will still have a flange focal distance on 44mm, but I also believe that cameras you could mount a 70-200 or a 400 mm lens on - should not be too small.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
So basically Tony says a mirrorless would be an 'enthusiast' model, right? Does he mean something like a 6d-ish camera? That would piss off some pro's (lack of dual slot) so I'm not too sure. I'm quite sure they won't go all out with a 1dx-killer or something like that, but what it will be, is the question.

The latest rumour here mentioned 'prosumer' models in development, which sort of backs up Tony's theory, but what could we expect with that? Something like an a73? That, in fact, is more like a 5d than a 6d if you ask me, so I'm quite curious to see where it would land. For me personally, a very good evf, silent shutter, eye af and dual slots would be mandatory to make me get one.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
nchoh said:
So to those who don't like Tony Northrop, which YouTuber would you recommend that puts out Camera videos that are from a similar perspective as Tony Northrop? Similar perspective meaning, more tech talk and not just how to photograph pretty girls.

At least meaningless videos with pretty girls have pretty girls. Tony just has meaningless videos.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
nchoh said:
So to those who don't like Tony Northrop, which YouTuber would you recommend that puts out Camera videos that are from a similar perspective as Tony Northrop? Similar perspective meaning, more tech talk and not just how to photograph pretty girls.

At least meaningless videos with pretty girls have pretty girls. Tony just has meaningless videos.

I guess that you are one of those guys who know everything about photography, huh?

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:
If they released a mirrorless version of the 5D IV (closest a7 III competitor) and priced it at $2000 to compete with the Sony A7 III, then the 5D IV DSLR and 6D II will nosedive in value.

Canon needs to forget about competing with its own cameras and start competing with other camera manufacturers such as Sony in the mirrorless department.

Yes, because they are very unsuccessful at competition ::) ::)
They aren't even in the competition yet when it comes to mirrorless cameras. I'm hoping they get in the game with the rumoured full frame mirrorless ones.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
scottkinfw said:
chrysoberyl said:
I didn't get past Tony Northrup.

I'm with you on that.
No cred.
Scott

I skipped through the video... blah blah blah blah Dual pixel... blah blah blah Nikon Canon mount... 4k scaling... blah blah blah Sony... 20fps... blah blah blah blah Fuji

Worst prediction video ever, lol.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
KirkD said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:
If they released a mirrorless version of the 5D IV (closest a7 III competitor) and priced it at $2000 to compete with the Sony A7 III, then the 5D IV DSLR and 6D II will nosedive in value.

Canon needs to forget about competing with its own cameras and start competing with other camera manufacturers such as Sony in the mirrorless department.

They aren't even in the competition yet when it comes to mirrorless cameras. I'm hoping they get in the game with the rumoured full frame mirrorless ones.

Pull your head out of your ass, sales figures publicly available show Canon outsell Sony on MILC's, indeed in the MILC market Canon are second in volume only to Olympus. Sony are third behind both Canon and Olympus, how is that "They aren't even in the competition yet when it comes to mirrorless cameras"?

You people and your opinions are so disconnected from the real world it is farcical.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:

Pull your head out of your ass, sales figures publicly available show Canon outsell Sony on MILC's, indeed in the MILC market Canon are second in volume only to Olympus. Sony are third behind both Canon and Olympus, how is that "They aren't even in the competition yet when it comes to mirrorless cameras"?

You people and your opinions are so disconnected from the real world it is farcical.

I think the point of Tony's video is Canon is not in the game. Unless I am wrong Canon does not have a FF mirrorless camera. I thought his presentation was pretty straightforward and fair. That being said I am not one clamoring for a FF Mirrorless. At this point couldn't care less about mirrorless. I am interested in the 90d and 5dsr2 however.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
reef58 said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:

I think the point of Tony's video is Canon is not in the game. Unless I am wrong Canon does not have a FF mirrorless camera. I thought his presentation was pretty straightforward and fair. That being said I am not one clamoring for a FF Mirrorless. At this point couldn't care less about mirrorless. I am interested in the 90d and 5dsr2 however.

People see to take the view that 'the game' is selling mirrorless FF cameras. It is not. 'The game' is selling cameras - no more, no less.

Panasonic and Olympus could not compete in the FF market so decided to set up the MFT consortium
Sony could not compete in teh DSLR arean so, seeing what Panasonic were doing, went in tot APS-C and FF mirrorless
Canon are the leaders and concentrated on their core market, taking mirrorless development at a far more casual rate and responding to what was happening in the mirrorless market. It is still early days.
Nikon....I don't think anyone really knows what has gone wrong with Nikon but they have tried to have their fingers in all the pies and ended up creating a winner in the D850.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
First of all, there was absolutely nothing new in this video. He didn’t say a single thing that we haven’t all head, several times, before.

I also disagree with a number of things he said. Sony isn’t doing all that well in their photo business in either DSLR’s, mirrorless or compact cameras. The reason the went to mirrorless so early wasn’t because they wanted to come out it’s something more advanced, but because their DSLR business was in tatters. No matter what they did, they couldn’t raise that 5% marketshare they began with when they purchased Konica/Minolta.

So mirrorless was a way, they thought, to enter a market where they would be early, and capture a large part of it. It didn’t work out the way they thought. It’s interesting to note that Canon, after having being criticized for several years for not entering that mirrorless market, is now one of, or is, the biggest mirrorless maker, with the fastest growth rate.

I also don’t agree that they have the most to lose. I do agree with Thom Hogan, the well known Nikon expert, that it’s Nikon that has the most to worry about, and the most to lose.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mikehit said:
People see to take the view that 'the game' is selling mirrorless FF cameras. It is not. 'The game' is selling cameras - no more, no less.

Exactly.

By that definition, the only company in the game is Sony.

It isn't like, "On the day that Canon and Nikon both have mirrorless full frame cameras, nearly all cameras sold will be mirrorless full frame cameras."

I mean, all the camera manufacturers wish this were so, but for obvious reasons, that is not going to happen!

melgross said:
I also don’t agree that they have the most to lose. I do agree with Thom that it’s Nikon that has the most to worry about, and the most to lose.

The assertion is technically true... because the company with the most marketshare by definition has the most to lose :D

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Talys said:
Mikehit said:

Exactly.

It isn't like, "On the day that Canon and Nikon both have mirrorless full frame cameras, nearly all cameras sold will be mirrorless full frame cameras."

I mean, all the camera manufacturers wish this were so, but for obvious reasons, that is not going to happen!

I’m not sure I understood you reply. Are you really saying that the only company that matters is Sony? Seriously?

People, not only does Canon have the fastest growing mirrorless line, it’s one of, if not, the biggest already. And if the game is selling cameras, not “just” mirrorless, then again, it’s Canon, with over 50% of the world market, and growing.

However canon does full frame, there will be a large user base eagerly waiting for it. If the future is mirrorless, and it might be, eventually, then Canon shouldn’t worry about cannibalizing present camera lines.jf they can transition every DSLR user to mirrorless, then that will move their 50+% share over. They must know that.

If they do this in such a way that a new body and cadaver works seemlessly, then they will have the worlds largest, and newest line if lenses for it too. Moving to newer lenses will be easy. I see no problem there.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
melgross said:
Talys said:
Mikehit said:

Exactly.

I’m not sure I understood you reply. Are you really saying that the only company that matters is Sony? Seriously?

People, not only does Canon have the fastest growing mirrorless line, it’s one of, if not, the biggest already. And if the game is selling cameras, not “just” mirrorless, then again, it’s Canon, with over 50% of the world market, and growing.

However canon does full frame, there will be a large user base eagerly waiting for it. If the future is mirrorless, and it might be, eventually, then Canon shouldn’t worry about cannibalizing present camera lines.jf they can transition every DSLR user to mirrorless, then that will move their 50+% share over. They must know that.

If they do this in such a way that a new body and cadaver works seemlessly, then they will have the worlds largest, and newest line if lenses for it too. Moving to newer lenses will be easy. I see no problem there.

Not at all.

I'm agreeing with Mikehit that full frame mirrorless isn't "the game". It isn't even close, because I mean, how many people do you know with a mirrorless full frame camera? Yet this has become an online obsession.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
reef58 said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:

Panasonic and Olympus could not compete in the FF market so decided to set up the MFT consortium
Sony could not compete in teh DSLR arean so, seeing what Panasonic were doing, went in tot APS-C and FF mirrorless
Canon are the leaders and concentrated on their core market, taking mirrorless development at a far more casual rate and responding to what was happening in the mirrorless market. It is still early days.
Nikon....I don't think anyone really knows what has gone wrong with Nikon but they have tried to have their fingers in all the pies and ended up creating a winner in the D850.

The video was specifically about Canon and Nikon's entry into full frame mirrorless. That is all. It was not about doom, gloom overall sales or any such thing. It was a prediction of their offerings in FF Frame mirrorless. Did anyone actually watch the video?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
reef58 said:
Mikehit said:
reef58 said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
privatebydesign said:
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:

The video was specifically about Canon and Nikon's entry into full frame mirrorless. That is all. It was not about doom, gloom overall sales or any such thing. It was a prediction of their offerings in FF Frame mirrorless. Did anyone actually watch the video?

I wasn't commenting on the video, I was pointing out the absurdity of the comment I quoted.

Canon absolutely do not have to make a FF MILC, in the same way they don't 'have' to make a MF camera to compete with the Pentax 645Z, or flashes to compete with the Profoto B1Z. If they do make a FF MILC it will be on their terms given that they know how comparatively small that market is.

There are a disproportionately vocal number of blowhards that are completely skewing the apparent size and relevance of a FF MILC market.

Upvote 0