Using PowerShot SD1400 IS to replace camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pinkerton

We have a PowerShot SD1400 IS and I've been shooting videos of my kids on it after our camcorder broke. We bought a new camcorder (Panasonic SDR-T70) because we wanted better quality and more versatility than the Flip style cameras, but it turns out the that HD and SD footage shot on the PowerShot are significantly better than the material from the camcorder.

I'm thinking of returning the camcorder and using the PowerShot as our main video recorder. What are the disadvantages of using the point and shoot camera in place of a camcorder? The video is mostly of our small kids and family events and we usually view it on a computer.

H

handsomerob

If video is your only goal, I would recommend a decent camcorder. They offer a far better zoom range than any current P&S, which is always handy. They also have much better quality stereo sound recording. Some models have huge internal storage along with SD card slot. They have better ergonomics with easier controls and they are more suitable for hand-holding.

On the downside they are bigger/heavier than most P&S cameras and as you found out, recording quality might not be satisfying in cheaper/low resolution models. Prices can also go up pretty high for decent models.

OTOH, a P&S camera is so small that it will fit into your pocket so you are ready to shoot anywhere, anytime! This is important since you might not have the bigger camcorder with you when an important moment occurs with the kids = Memories that could have been captured, are lost forever (you will remember what you saw lol, I mean it's just not recorded). You can also take pictures with a P&S, obviously. Those Pictures will have better IQ than with the camcorders that can take snapshots.

If you want better quality videos than your current PowerShot (720p) offers, you could replace it with a newer model that can film 1080p. This higher resolution (and bit rate) would result in much bigger files (not so handy if you are editing your videos or viewing them on a rather old PC/laptop) but also in better video quality.

If you decide to upgrade your P&S, I would wait for the 2012 models from Canon with Digic V. They should be released shortly. You should also google "rolling shutter" (just to be aware of it) if you want to buy a new P&S with CMOS sensor instead of CCD.

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
neuroanatomist said:
Pinkerton said:
What are the disadvantages of using the point and shoot camera in place of a camcorder?

IMO, the biggest disadvantages to shooting video with a P&S are that during recording, autofocus and optical zoom are both disabled.

??? Only got to play with it for a few minutes at Christmas, but my sister's new SX40 (that does count as P&S, no?) had both autofocus and optical zoom while in video mode.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
I have never own a HD camcorder before and have no plan to buy one anytime soon, because my P&S Canon S100 is doing just fine with HD video - 1080P. Video cames out so clear on my 46" HD LED TV. The sound is also came out great.

Again...i'm not a pro video guy, just regular dad with with kids. I'm very happy with all clips I got from my S100.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Pinkerton said:
What are the disadvantages of using the point and shoot camera in place of a camcorder?

IMO, the biggest disadvantages to shooting video with a P&S are that during recording, autofocus and optical zoom are both disabled.
the fuji X10 optical zoom works in video mode, and autofocus works although slowly in poor light but in good light its fine, I'm classing it as point and shoot. its video is pretty good from my perspective and I'm giving away my old sanyo exacti HD video cam since the fuji video quality far exceeds it.
biggest downside i see for the fuji for video is the lack of a mic jack for external audio. but for my video use it is more than sufficient which is only about the same as the OP that just for short family clips etc, nothing fancy,

Upvote 0
T

tarkani

This is an old tread but I wanted to provide some experience since a friend of mine asked exactly the same question.

I also have an SD1400 IS and a VIXIA HF-M31 (along with a 60D). The M31 is really cool, great zoom, lots of features, and it is not too big to carry around. However most of the time, SD1400 is good enough. If your only goal is to capture 5-10 minutes of daily life, I don't think you need a standalone camcorder. The only time I think a camcorder might be useful is when the subject is a bit far away (as in graduation, high school plays etc.).

I usually keep my M31 at home and rarely take it out. It also has one disadvantage; the lens isn't wide enough. When I want to fit my kid in the screen, I have to take a few steps back.

If I were you, I would invest in one of the new powershots and save the money. I am planning to do the same.

Cheers,
Ilker

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.