Which is better for high ISO, 6D or 5D Mk III?

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I have a 6D, which I've been using in low light situations. In recent months I've found myself frequently exploring the limits I can go and still come up with what I consider successful photos. I've very happy with the results I've been getting up to ISO6400 or so. Even what I've shot at 12800 pleasantly surprises me.
But, I got talking with a couple people who suggested I might be better off with a 5D Mk III. I'm not so concerned about its performance at lower ISOs, as I've got three 1DS Mk III bodies that I use in most all situations, but I want to get the best results when I shoot in "available darkness".
What would you suggest I do?

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Dylan777 said:
With larger pixel and less MP, 1DX is your next choice if you want to go higher than 6400ISO. 5D III will not be your answer.

@ 12800ISO, I'm very happy with my X.
I've used the 1DX and absolutely love it. When I replace my 1DS III bodies, I plan to go with these. That is, unless the next generation is out by then.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
The 6D has better high-ISO image quality. Having shot thousands of images with both cameras and from the info I've gathered online this is how I would rate the performance of the sensors of Canon's current-generation full frame offerings at various ISO settings.

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2,195
Upvote 0
Based on RAW charts from DPR, the 6d does seem objectively better than the 5d3 in high ISO. The 6d was a near match for the Nikon D4, which was a pleasant surprise. The numbers for the 1Dx aren't available from DPR ... drat.

However, DxoMark specs showed the 6d and 5d3 very close (~2300), the 1Dx significantly better (~2800), and the older 5d2 (~1800) lagging the 6d and 5d3 in what they term "Sports (low light ISO)". For reference, the Nikon D4 was about 2950.

Attachments

• 140213d_6dIq.jpg
    140213d_6dIq.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 2,115
Upvote 0
l_d_allan said:
The numbers for the 1Dx aren't available from DPR ... drat.
Good 'ol DPReview - they have a D4S preview the day it's announced but two years later, still no 1D X review. Reminds me of how they handled the last generation of CaNikon pro bodies... Yes, I know Phil Askey isn't biased towards Nikon, at least that's what what they say. It's a great site in all other regards.

Upvote 0
I also (only) have the Eos6D and I have regularly shot images at iso 25000 and printed them large. What I have found is that different software gives diffirent results. At the moment I am experimenting with Nik, Topaz, DXO and LR. They all work well in reducing noise and some images work better with some software than others. Personally I think that perhaps the difference between these cameras at the limit might just be too small to make a real difference and maybe software is a less expensive alternative...

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
The difference between the files are so minimal that I would call it a dead heat with the 6d just ever so slight advantage but would you notice in the real world.. don't think so.

The fact is you can get cracking results out of both cameras up to 6400ISO where i feel commercially you can push to. 12800 and 25600 can be used but only when needs must and you wouldn't get the shot otherwise.

Heres a few images shot at 12800 on the 5DMKIII and the 100mm L as a test to see what it could do!

BMW F30 3 Series interior, iDrive screen by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, multifunction steering wheel by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, centre console climate control by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, light console by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

The main positive about the 6D is the centre point is rated to -3ev whereas the 5DMKIII is -2EV.

But at the same time if your shooting in low light with large aperture glass you will be centring your image to keep focus, focus recompose with anything under F4 on a full frame camera and missing focus is very easy to do.

On the 5DMKIII you have 5 -2ev points which makes creative composition easier.

052.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
I have both. I haven't ever done any side-by-side comparisons, but my impression is that the 6D is probably slightly better overall, but probably not noticeably so unless you're specifically looking for/at noise, and that the 6D is noticeably better (esp. less banding) if you try to lighten shadows. So I wouldn't recommend that you add a 5DIII for high ISO purposes. It's possible, of course, that the 5DIII will provide better AF performance, thereby resulting in better image quality for *that* reason, but - perhaps because I don't photograph the sorts of things where this would matter - I've not noticed that, at least with still objects, aside from the obvious advantage of having more focus points to choose from.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tomscott said:
The main positive about the 6D is the centre point is rated to -3ev whereas the 5DMKIII is -2EV.

It seems that many people claim this as an advantage for the 6D, without thinking about what it actually means. To put it in context relative your sample shots, consider f/2.8 (max for your 100L) and 1/15 s (1/FL with ~4 stops IS, although effectiveness decreases at close focus, and if there are people in the image they'd be blurred from subject motion). At those settings, the difference between -2 and -3 EV would be ISO 51200 vs. ISO 102400 – both of which fall clearly outside the noise range you'd find acceptable even 'at need'.

Although 6D fans claim the extra stop of AF sensitivity is useful, in reality it's generally useful only in situations that would produce unusable images. If it's that dark, most likely one would be using a flash (with AF assist), or on a tripod (with longer shutter speeds and live view exposure simulation to brighten the image for focusing), to keep the ISO at an acceptable level.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tomscott said:
Isn't the noise reduction algorithm different in the 6D, slightly more NR in the standard config than the 5DMKIII giving images slightly less noise?

Perhaps. Canon likes to tout lower noise with new releases...but they're referring only to SOOC JPG shooting. Shooting RAW and applying NR in post would yield better results either way.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
tomscott said:
The difference between the files are so minimal that I would call it a dead heat with the 6d just ever so slight advantage but would you notice in the real world.. don't think so.

The fact is you can get cracking results out of both cameras up to 6400ISO where i feel commercially you can push to. 12800 and 25600 can be used but only when needs must and you wouldn't get the shot otherwise.

Heres a few images shot at 12800 on the 5DMKIII and the 100mm L as a test to see what it could do!

But at the same time if your shooting in low light with large aperture glass you will be centring your image to keep focus, focus recompose with anything under F4 on a full frame camera and missing focus is very easy to do.

On the 5DMKIII you have 5 -2ev points which makes creative composition easier.

052.jpg

My 5D III focus just fine, even below -3EV (f1.4, 1.3sec, 1000ISO)

Attachments

• _Y1C2572.JPG
    _Y1C2572.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 1,007
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I do not hesitate to use my 5D MK III at ISO 25600 if I have no choice. The 6D should be similar, and the 1D X somewhat better. I also used my 1D MK IV at ISO 12800 when needed.
Generally, the noise is not much of a issue for ordinary sized prints, but, some view images at 1:1 ant when they see the noise, it bothers them.
The greatly reduced DR at extreme high ISO levels does make it difficult.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Dylan777 said:
My 5D III focus just fine, even below -3EV (f1.4, 1.3sec, 1000ISO)

That's something of a confound. Even though a whole scene may meter at -3 EV or lower, often we're focusing on a portion of the scene that's much brighter that the average (or evaluated) metering for the entire scene – the bright ornaments in your case, tomscott's lit buttons on the dash, in my case a firelit face in a -3 EV scene. I suspect spot metering over the selected focal point would yield a substantially brighter exposure for that region (rendering the rest of the scene underexposed).

Upvote 0