Status
Not open for further replies.
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
AcutancePhotography said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning. Good luck with this. Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

Not to hijack the thread either, but whose wedding is it anyway?

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Haha I'm watching my sis in law morph into her mom and it's not a pretty sight !!

all this hate on weddings and mother in laws ---LOL --- all because I bought a 6d for a backup body instead of a second mk3 --- I would agree with ya if the 6d was a dog, if it sucked, if I was not confident in it, if the IQ was horrid...the IQ from it is pretty much exactly the same as my mk3 ---sometimes better even depending on the situation. As I grow with it, I find that i like it even more - instead of just going wide with it, all my lenses go on it, and now it's getting equal time at weddings to my mk3.

Attachments

• IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 1,463
  • IMG_5557.jpg
    IMG_5557.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 1,524
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 1,485
Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning. Good luck with this. Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Haha I'm watching my sis in law morph into her mom and it's not a pretty sight !!

all this hate on weddings and mother in laws ---LOL --- all because I bought a 6d for a backup body instead of a second mk3 --- I would agree with ya if the 6d was a dog, if it sucked, if I was not confident in it, if the IQ was horrid...the IQ from it is pretty much exactly the same as my mk3 ---sometimes better even depending on the situation. As I grow with it, I find that i like it even more - instead of just going wide with it, all my lenses go on it, and now it's getting equal time at weddings to my mk3.

Nice shots but I would have cloned out the tattoo...I feel like doing it right now, hahaha :p

The reason people discuss in-laws is because many of us have them...and because many photographers like you are obsessed with discussing wedding photography...so invariably the subject matter gets discussed.

Certainly agree that the IQ of the 6D can be better than the 5D3. I saw this in the store when I tried one out (having previously edited some RAW files from my cousin's 5D3), and decided to order a 6D the next day.

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Really like the first picture in the series, Chuck. Beautiful focus and PP. I shot a business event tonight. Headshots for all the staff and architecurals for their building. Funny, but no one mentioned that I was shooting with 6Ds instead of a 5DIII or 1DX ;)

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Nice shots but I would have cloned out the tattoo...I feel like doing it right now, hahaha :p

The reason people discuss in-laws is because many of us have them...and because many photographers like you are obsessed with discussing wedding photography...so invariably the subject matter gets discussed.

Certainly agree that the IQ of the 6D can be better than the 5D3. I saw this in the store when I tried one out (having previously edited some RAW files from my cousin's 5D3), and decided to order a 6D the next day.

i was only second shooting the tattooed one, so I'm not going that far with it...this was just a quick edit cause i got to set up the shot ---

And to Carl...if i bride has a big arm tattoo like that, the last thing in the world she'll want is to have it cloned out. I know tat's aren't for everyone, but for those that do have them, they are generally proud of them, especially if they go that far to have a full arm sleeve done...

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

i was only second shooting the tattooed one, so I'm not going that far with it...this was just a quick edit cause i got to set up the shot ---

And to Carl...if i bride has a big arm tattoo like that, the last thing in the world she'll want is to have it cloned out. I know tat's aren't for everyone, but for those that do have them, they are generally proud of them, especially if they go that far to have a full arm sleeve done...

Chuck, I realize they're proud of them. I was just getting your gander up, which as you know is not hard to do! I have cloning on the brain because I had to clone out a lot of seaweed in shallow water around a boat dock, that belonged to one of the houses I shot aerial photos of lately. It was a nightmare...not to mention the idiot had just bush-hogged his "yard" in front of the house. So I had a yard and a lakefront that both looked like brown sewage from the air !! People are stupid, and try as they might, many times they can only make things look ugly without knowing or caring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, but I draw the line at the "sewage" look...

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Chuck, I realize they're proud of them. I was just getting your gander up, which as you know is not hard to do! I have cloning on the brain because I had to clone out a lot of seaweed in shallow water around a boat dock, that belonged to one of the houses I shot aerial photos of lately. It was a nightmare...not to mention the idiot had just bush-hogged his "yard" in front of the house. So I had a yard and a lakefront that both looked like brown sewage from the air !! People are stupid, and try as they might, many times they can only make things look ugly without knowing or caring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, but I draw the line at the "sewage" look...

That job does not sound fun!

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
damn both of you...lol!!!

changing subject...here a 6d with the 100 macro image...lol

Nice but um...what is that?

it's a metal tent post on top of a black metal grill top... we're getting those real chilly nights now so the dew has been prevalent. shot this real close to the spike, with a cheap LED light set right behind the post...just playing around really, I like the very surreal what is that feel. DOF is just sooooo freaking nutty with macro, hence why I do stuff like this, testing extremes.

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

it's a metal tent post on top of a black metal grill top... we're getting those real chilly nights now so the dew has been prevalent. shot this real close to the spike, with a cheap LED light set right behind the post...just playing around really, I like the very surreal what is that feel. DOF is just sooooo freaking nutty with macro, hence why I do stuff like this, testing extremes.

Oh yes it's water droplets, my bad...they're so dark I wanted to see them as solid barnacles or something!

This would have worked extremely well back in my photography class in college, where we did "closeup abstractions". Back then there was only film, and the class was only black and white...because you know, it's not cool or artsy unless it's in black and white! Also the color developing process was supposedly more involved (so that was an advanced class)...but I did it a lot in my parents' business back then anyway.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Oh yes it's water droplets, my bad...they're so dark I wanted to see them as solid barnacles or something!

This would have worked extremely well back in my photography class in college, where we did "closeup abstractions". Back then there was only film, and the class was only black and white...because you know, it's not cool or artsy unless it's in black and white! Also the color developing process was supposedly more involved (so that was an advanced class)...but I did it a lot in my parents' business back then anyway.

Yeah, back in school when I learned all that stuff they wouldn't touch color - it was all black and white.

Oddly though ---this is a color image! But the top of the grill was black, the spike was silver, and the color temp of the LED light was very cool ----cool white light, black grill top...looks like a black and white image!

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
CarlTN said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Yeah, back in school when I learned all that stuff they wouldn't touch color - it was all black and white.

Oddly though ---this is a color image! But the top of the grill was black, the spike was silver, and the color temp of the LED light was very cool ----cool white light, black grill top...looks like a black and white image!

Yes it does almost look like a black and white image, but that's not what I was saying. I know it's a color image! I simply meant it would have worked well as a closeup abstraction...and that when I did it in my class, we had to use black and white film...and process and print it ourselves. It's easier to achieve abstraction in black and white anyway, because color allows you to recognize things either...unless of course your eyes never see any color.

Upvote 0
Essential difference between the new full frame sensors is the pixel density.
18, 20, 22 mp.
22 mp is sharper then 18 mp.18 mp is capturing more light, less noise. 18 mp clean up in post-work better than 22mp.
It is a scientify information that everything has is limitation, read this as the sensor of canon at his limits.
I got 3 x 40d, and in raw editing, with prime lenses, even at 1600, with good white balance and good exposure, i get more than excellent pictures.
The only problem is the print resolution.That is why i bought the 6d. Better iso, higher dynamic range, higher print resolution.
BUT DON'T FORGET: GETTING A GROUP OF 2 TO 4 PEOPLE SCHARP: crop sensor f5, 6; full sensor f8.0. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Upvote 0
erikefox said:
Essential difference between the new full frame sensors is the pixel density. 18, 20, 22 mp.

Canon ff only have 21mp (5d2), 22mp (5d3) and 20mp (6d), the little difference is there to easily recognize which camera is "better" and more expensive :)

erikefox said:
22 mp is sharper then 18 mp.18 mp is capturing more light, less noise. 18 mp clean up in post-work better than 22mp.

Ok, let's assume you're talking about 20mp vs 22mp full frame. Yes, each bigger *pixel* of 20mp captures a bit more light, but the *sensor* get the same, so you can just downsize a bit if you're very keen for a comparison. This tiny bit should be indistinguishable, other characteristics like banding are much more important.

As for more mp being less sharp: No, not if your top notch lens outresolves your sensor, I these things can easily handle 40mp. You're correct about old school lenses like the 50/1.8 at least wide open, I don't think adding more mp would improve the overall result so much it's worth it.[/quote]

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Marsu42 said:
erikefox said:
Essential difference between the new full frame sensors is the pixel density. 18, 20, 22 mp.

Canon ff only have 21mp (5d2), 22mp (5d3) and 20mp (6d), the little difference is there to easily recognize which camera is "better" and more expensive :)

Are you cocking a snoop at the 18 mp 1Dx ?

Agree with your analyses of the prosumer line. Difference is just for marketing, but maybe 6D users gained a benefit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.