Industry News: Sony’s New Alpha 7RV Camera Offers Next-Generation Autofocus Technologies Using an Advanced AI Processing Unit

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
New Artificial Intelligence (AI) Processing Unit Combined with 61 MP High Resolution Image Sensor and BIONZ XR™ Processing Engine Combine to Deliver Best-Ever Image Quality for an Alpha Body
Sony announced the Alpha 7R V (model ILCE-7RM5) as the newest R series camera in its acclaimed line of Alpha mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The Alpha 7R V combines Sony’s highest resolution image sensor with a new AI (artificial intelligence) processing unit dedicated to AI-based image recognition – a first in any Alpha camera – as well as the powerful BIONZ XR™ image processing engine – a first in the “R” full-frame lineup. The combination of the high-resolution sensor and these processors enables new breakthroughs in subject recognition and capture for both still photography and video.
“The newest addition to our Alpha 7R lineup is the perfect example of our relentless drive to develop industry-leading imaging technology,” said Yann Salmon Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing...

Continue reading...

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I've never shot Sony's full frame cameras...and therefore have no real basis for commenting on this particular body and specifically, its autofocus features.

...but based on price this one is in the R5 range.

I look forward to seeing the R5 II specs!

Competition is a good thing...if nothing else for the comments here in CR!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I've never shot Sony's full frame cameras...and therefore have no real basis for commenting on this particular body and specifically, its autofocus features.

...but based on price this one is in the R5 range.

I look forward to seeing the R5 II specs!

Competition is a good thing...if nothing else for the comments here in CR!
It seems like a minor upgrade for existing A7R4 users. Compared to R5 - battery life, cooling, EVF(higher res still nearly double battery life of 440 shots vs R5s 220) and MIMO wifi certainly are nice upgrades.

Upvote 0

EOS

EOS
Apr 29, 2022
Just watched the Gerald Undone review and the dual flippy screen looks very cool. Tilts like an A1 or full range: “conventional tilting monitor with side-opening vari-angle flexibility”.
Also “an electronic viewfinder with 9.44 million dots” would not suck.
No word on my favorite niche feature, focus bracketing, but I’m not holding my breath. (Edit: Apparently, my reading comprehension is terrible today.)
  • The ALPHA 7RV also includes focus features that support high resolution including full-time DMF[x] (direct manual focus), and focus bracketing], a highly requested capability that allows for focus stacked images.
I do wish S would get rid of their obsession with CF Express Type-A cards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
That flip/tilt screen looks amazing and it would be the single reason for me to upgrade. Most of the times, I’d need just to flip and which is quite annoying with canon’s flip screen but I still prefer having that over just tilting one.
But this Sony combines it all together. Easy to tilt up/down but still able to flip for vertical shots or a “selfie”.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.
I do shoot with MK IV. Ordered it to lower weight for BIF (with the great Sony 200-600mm lens). But never been happy with a lot of noise. Really a lot. It is not a pleasure to run each photo in Topaz Denoise.
i was still hoping for an new sensor with lesser noise until today. But Sony improved some other specs. Cool ideas ( AF, Screen,...). But still this old fashioned outfit (just look at the sexy R3) and the narrow design that keeps handling not a pleasure for my big hands and old fingers.
So I´ll have a look on real reviews wether noise is still a problem at Iso >800.
Btw, I had no problem with the Af at BIF and small birds.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The original R doesn’t have it, but every other R body starting from the RP has focus bracketing.
To the ongoing annoyance of many of us - the 5D IV (whose sensor ended up in the EOS R) had it too. I don't generally whinge about features being left out, especially of a high value (relatively low $) body like the EOS R, but this has always smarted. And it could (frankly) have been added with a simple firmware update.

Upvote 0
To the ongoing annoyance of many of us - the 5D IV (whose sensor ended up in the EOS R) had it too. I don't generally whinge about features being left out, especially of a high value (relatively low $) body like the EOS R, but this has always smarted. And it could (frankly) have been added with a simple firmware update.
Unfortunately, Canon has a history of having features in lower level bodies and not in the higher ones. That said, the R pricing is lower than the 5Div body.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
But never been happy with a lot of noise. Really a lot. It is not a pleasure to run each photo in Topaz Denoise.
i was still hoping for an new sensor with lesser noise until today.

So I´ll have a look on real reviews wether noise is still a problem at Iso >800.
60 mp sensor = tiny pixels= more pronounced shot noise (random photon noise). Similar situation with 5DS. Less exposure exaggerates.
It’s the physics of light. To get rid of it noise reduction of some sort would have to be applied, and no doubt that’s what will happen.
I look at files from the 12 mp A7S and think they look so pleasant. If only 12 mp didn’t have such a tiny output size at 600 or even 300dpi.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Unfortunately, Canon has a history of having features in lower level bodies and not in the higher ones. That said, the R pricing is lower than the 5Div body.
Yes I agree - the comment was from last year, and I must say, but the sentiment still manages to raise my blood pressure. The context was that the RP, an even lower priced body than the EOS R, and based on an older sensor, had focus bracketing activated! I should check whether the new APS-C bodies have it too - but that would just annoy me even more ...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The context was that the RP, an even lower priced body than the EOS R, and based on an older sensor, had focus bracketing activated!
Interestingly it’s one of the ways to get the RP to shoot with full electronic shutter, and so totally silent, but I think it’s shooting in 12 bit in this mode, although I can’t find any information that confirms this.

Upvote 0