1D X shooting birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
He likes to photograph big birds which you can get close to. He also probably had access to 800mm lenses.

Unfortunately, shooting with a D1 X and a 100-400mmL plus 1.4X TC or a f/4 lens plus 2X TC won't autofocus, so you have to use the big dollar and ultra heavy lenses in the $11,000 range.

With a 1D MK IV and a 100-400mmL with 1.4X TC, you get autofocus and a 728mm equiv field of view with a low cost lens (relatively).

With a 1D X, you can get 400mm max and retain autofocus, so it really doesn't matter how good the AF is, if it doesn't work with your 100-400mmL and a TC!

Canon is trying to put their spin on the issue, but I doubt that many birders are happy.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
He likes to photograph big birds which you can get close to. He also probably had access to 800mm lenses.

Unfortunately, shooting with a D1 X and a 100-400mmL plus 1.4X TC or a f/4 lens plus 2X TC won't autofocus, so you have to use the big dollar and ultra heavy lenses in the $11,000 range.

With a 1D MK IV and a 100-400mmL with 1.4X TC, you get autofocus and a 728mm equiv field of view with a low cost lens (relatively).

With a 1D X, you can get 400mm max and retain autofocus, so it really doesn't matter how good the AF is, if it doesn't work with your 100-400mmL and a TC!

Canon is trying to put their spin on the issue, but I doubt that many birders are happy.

This is pretty much my take. I was a bit surprised when he said he could just manually focus if he had to with a TC at f/8. That MIGHT work with stationary birds that are only moving laterally, but I can't imagine trying to manually focus a bird in motion, such as a wader or BIF. Its just not viable (unless you have some stupendous talent!)

Upvote 0
I realize the birding community overall is small in the big picture of but I hope they address the F8 enigma for those who can't get their hands on 1D series. For that reason alone I grabbed a Mark IV just last week. I'm sure the 1Dx is a VERY competent advisary and Nikon shooters use full frame successfully but I still believe that Canon is superb comparitively in IQ when extenders are necessary.

Upvote 0
M

michael6liu

camerabug said:
I realize the birding community overall is small in the big picture of but I hope they address the F8 enigma for those who can't get their hands on 1D series. For that reason alone I grabbed a Mark IV just last week. I'm sure the 1Dx is a VERY competent advisary and Nikon shooters use full frame successfully but I still believe that Canon is superb comparitively in IQ when extenders are necessary.
I second this.
I'm also holding onto my 7d real tight. Even w/ 400mm and 1.6x crop factor (640mm effective), I find myself constantly cropping for small and shy birds.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
KeithR said:
Anyone tried the "taping the pins" trick yet?

No one has a 1D X yet, this article was written by a Canon :Maker of Light", they loaned him equipment. There is no way he would tape pins or use another brand of TC.

True, however the 5D III has the same AF unit. Its just matched with a different meter, which isn't going to affect f/8 AF with either the pin trick or an off-brand TC.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.