1DX and DxO Optics Pro compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
You haven't missed anything, DxO can't process 1D X RAW files yet. I'm sure they'll release an updated version and the new modules pretty soon. They probably got their camera around the same time as everyone else, and they've got to run tests on ~90 lenses. I didn't think to check how long it took them after the 5DIII became available to release the update and modules, but it's out now, so at most I'd say a ~3 month wait.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
You haven't missed anything, DxO can't process 1D X RAW files yet. I'm sure they'll release an updated version and the new modules pretty soon. They probably got their camera around the same time as everyone else, and they've got to run tests on ~90 lenses. I didn't think to check how long it took them after the 5DIII became available to release the update and modules, but it's out now, so at most I'd say a ~3 month wait.

Ah ok thanks Neuro. AFter playing with DxO 7.5 a bit, it seem better then Lightroom to process RAW. I wanted to try it for the 1DX because Lightroom certainly does not seem to be well optimized for the 1DX RAW files yet. On many occasion I can get better result using DPP for the 1DX. It is just that I hate the workflow with DPP and find much more limited to play to things like highlights, shadows, colors, and noise reduction. LR seem to do a bettter job for noise reduction compared to DPP.

So I guess you are using DPP for now yourself?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JR said:

Yep. The conversion is decent (although with 7D and 5DII files, I found that DxO was better than DPP). The UI sucks. One example - what's so hard about having the crop frame pre-set to the shot orientation? When I crop a landscape shot, and the next shot is portrait, I have to click the pop-up and set the ratio from 3:2 to 2:3. WTF?!?

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
JR said:

Yep. The conversion is decent (although with 7D and 5DII files, I found that DxO was better than DPP). The UI sucks. One example - what's so hard about having the crop frame pre-set to the shot orientation? When I crop a landscape shot, and the next shot is portrait, I have to click the pop-up and set the ratio from 3:2 to 2:3. WTF?!?

For sharpening in DxO, do you use the "lens softness" features or the unsharp mask?

Upvote 0
JR said:
Ah ok thanks Neuro. AFter playing with DxO 7.5 a bit, it seem better then Lightroom to process RAW. I wanted to try it for the 1DX because Lightroom certainly does not seem to be well optimized for the 1DX RAW files yet. On many occasion I can get better result

Out of curiosity, what issues are you seeing processing 1DX files in LightRoom (or what do you see better in DxO)?

Shawn L.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JR said:
For sharpening in DxO, do you use the "lens softness" features or the unsharp mask?

I usually use the lens softness feature, since that's driven by the microcontrast mapping done on the specific camera/lens combo. If I'm rescuing an image (slightly OOF where I want to make it 'look sharper' for a small print, for example), I add the unsharp mask on top of the lens softness (although I often do that step on a TIF exported to CS6 if the image needs a lot of work).

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
JR said:

I usually use the lens softness feature, since that's driven by the microcontrast mapping done on the specific camera/lens combo. If I'm rescuing an image (slightly OOF where I want to make it 'look sharper' for a small print, for example), I add the unsharp mask on top of the lens softness (although I often do that step on a TIF exported to CS6 if the image needs a lot of work).

Ok thanks. The lens softness option seem much less "destructive" yet very effective compared to other method. I was impressed by it! Thanks.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Shawn L said:
Out of curiosity, what issues are you seeing processing 1DX files in LightRoom (or what do you see better in DxO)?

Shawn L.

I am only starting to use DxO and cannot use it for 1DX yet, but with Lightroom, I am not sure I would call them issues but I did notice that on some shots, there was significant differences between what I can do in LR4 versus DPP. In general I find LR4 to have more options, but here are some of the "issues" I experienced on some shots:

1- sometimes the sharpening is not as good in LR compared to DPP. My images are softer in LR with much less details compared to DPP and this is more significant on some shots but not all...This is even more pronounce if I use the DLO option in DPP (Digital Lens Optimiser) which LR does not have.

2- While I prefer the noise reduction in LR, sometimes it gives a feeling of "plasticity" to the image where I would not have that using DPP. Now this is a tricky one because in general I find the noise reduction in DPP not very good. But some shots I made in ISO 1600 for example dont look that detailed in LR4 but in DPP they look like an ISO 100 shot! Again this depends a lot on lighting, and how big is my subject in my framing (face most of the time).

3- the biggest things that bug me with LR and the 1DX are the colors are all off and so is the white balance. Everytime I import an image in LR from the 1DX the WB is off and the colors are not at all what they were in the camera. I need to play with everyimage to make it right. On the contrary when I use DPP at least the colors are all great and WB always good! I use LR for some Nikon files as well and I dont have this issue with Nikon files. Colors and WB are perfect when imported into LR. Even the exposure seem off sometime with the 1DX in LR but when I check in DPP everything is good. Hell at first I thought the metering on the 1DX was really bad, but I knew this was not possible, something else was happening here and must be how Adobe read the 1DX raw...

I have not figured out how to create of import the actual Canon picture style into Lightroom (I thought this was possible) but maybe this would help. Iin fact this is a cool features I noticed DxO has which I found useful...if it could read my 1DX files :)

The key here is that I mentionned some shots, because the above observations are not consistent for everytype of shots.

This is why I am looking for an alternative then LR for the 1DX, something more flexible then DPP...

Upvote 0
Thanks, JR.

Regarding #3, what "Camera Calibration" are you using in LightRoom? Haven't played too much with it for the 1DX, but for my old T1I, I found some of the presets better for certain types of images than for others. I often ended up with "Camera Faithful," but sometimes "Landscape" got the color balance more to my liking.

Your mileage may, of course, vary =)

Shawn L.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Shawn L said:
Thanks, JR.

Regarding #3, what "Camera Calibration" are you using in LightRoom? Haven't played too much with it for the 1DX, but for my old T1I, I found some of the presets better for certain types of images than for others. I often ended up with "Camera Faithful," but sometimes "Landscape" got the color balance more to my liking.

Your mileage may, of course, vary =)

Shawn L.

always use the neutral profile...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.